Reviews for steel in your hand
this is so so good that it makes me hate u and luv u
SaintClaire chapter 1 . 1/6
That was the longest piece I've ever read without chapters. Not the easiest read, but I liked it :)
Alliel 23 chapter 1 . 8/18/2014
WOW first off I have to say I actually started this journey by reading your Envelope story first so now I'm endeavoring to work my way backwards. your writing style is so utterly beautiful and the whole depth in which you develop the characters, utilizing mythology and comic inspirations, is truly magnificent. I will definitely continue reading through your Steel!verse and once I catch up to your most recent addition ("envelop...") I whole heartedly look forward to reading more of your writings about these two!

On a random side note, I noticed you mentioned in this story that Sif could hear the dragon gnawing on yggdrasil's roots and I remember in your envelop story that Sif and Thor actually kill that particular dragon sooooo I was just wondering if these were two different dragons or perhaps just an oversight? Just simply curious; completely in LOVE with the series so far though! Now I am off to read your next installment!
CootiePatootie chapter 1 . 7/10/2014
Wow. I might need a few minutes here. What an amazing story. I love the ship - I personally don't find it cracky at all. I will say it's much better to have Sif as Tyrsdottir than Odinsdottir any day. I like the connection between Sif and Heimdall as a result of retconning her heritage.
I'm really, really impressed with this piece. Beautifully written and very poignant. Kudos.
Hekka chapter 1 . 6/23/2014
Thanks for the links - I am not familiar with the comic book universe.
By the way according to mythology, Loki isn't the brother of Thor, but Odin's sworn brother.
KatsuomiMashiRo chapter 1 . 4/14/2014
Towards the end of this story I started to listen to A Thousand Years by Christina Perri and I just want to cry my eye balls out. Such a wonderful story.
Ludi A chapter 1 . 2/27/2014
First of all, I really like to thank you. Almost any word wouldnt be good enough to describe how amazing was this trip through your story. Thanks for sharing it.

At first, I was a bit skeptical, like 'hm, let's see what we have here', and the changes about the time of the narrative made me feel a little uncomfortable. But this feeling disappeared as quick as it surged.

I couldnt stop reading and it was because of Sif, because of Loki and, mainly, because of you. You're brilliant. I feel sooo lucky for finding you.

The way you described scenarios, feelings, thoughts. It made me laugh and sometimes made me cry, mostly in Loki's scenes. Geez, you captured the essence of him in a way that I've never seen before, in any other story.
How tortured, broken, lonely he is... Ok, I need to stop here, otherwise I'll start crying again, haha

I'm going to read the follow-ups with high expectations; now I know what you're capable of.

Thank you again, and again, and again. I'm truly thrilled.
Bekah chapter 1 . 12/20/2013
That was awesome. Thoroughly enjoyed it. As I do all of your fics. :)
Dean chapter 1 . 8/27/2013
Great great great story. Oh all the beautiful lines you wrote. The emotions you captured. Man I would kill to be able to write like you. I am in love with your Loki and Sif. Love them so much. You are awesome! And really, thank you for sharing this fic. You made my day ;))
Gyreflight chapter 1 . 8/19/2013
This is impressive, beautifully written, and utterly convincing.

Two very different, very difficult people, with so much between them, and for so long, never an obvious match, even to themselves, and yet…

Right from the beginning, I loved the way you re-cast the shearing of Sif’s hair as an act of defiance and complicity between those two iconoclasts, and built between them from there. So much said, but the greater part of it always unspoken, and the pattern sets.

She pushes forward where he holds back, and either act can gain or lose as easily as the other - and each most truly against the other. Sif so fierce, with an impatient harshness that can rasp, and watchful Loki who always knows where to twist the knife and doesn’t always hold his hand.

As your summary line reminds, war is tactic and trick and manoeuvre as much as it is battle, and Sif’s “What is war but mischief and trickery played on a fatal level” is worth remembering even as it plays out between the principals here. Little between them is comfortable, but between war and mischief, it’s hardly likely to be, and what they do have is /theirs/.

And then…The fact that Loki has reasons for what he does doesn’t make those reasons /good/ ones, or the consequences acceptable – and Sif, as much her own person as is he, is never going to be capable of letting it slide…

Aside your primaries, I also really liked the sibling relationship sketched between Loki and Thor, the recognition of Jane’s worth as someone extraordinary in her own right, and the slightly ironic edge to the similarities of mind she has in common with Loki (just as Sif herself on the face of it is less alike her lover than his brother – and it matters not at all to the direction of either’s emotion).

Loki’s shadow walking (stalking?) was a nice touch, and leaving him unacknowledged in the shadow at her back as she waits for what will come made a perfect close.

Thanks for the read.
Berry Smoothie chapter 1 . 1/13/2013
I started out a little skeptical, but you won me over pretty damn quickly. I especially liked the way you characterized Loki and Sif. A great read. :)
steepedinwords chapter 1 . 12/4/2012
Nice explanatory notes at the end - I am throughly approving of all your headcanon. Especially Heimdall being Sif's protective big brother - AWESOME.
UnScrambled chapter 1 . 10/21/2012
This was incredibly excellent
I loved it!
wbss21 chapter 1 . 9/21/2012
This story is ridiculously good. I mean, really, seriously, ridiculously good. You are such an amazingly gifted writer. It took me a couple days to get through the entire thing, because I'm a slow reader, haha, but I seriously could not take my eyes off the thing.

The way you build and develop these characters, from their earliest years, from children, all the way to the end, to Loki's fall at the end of the film, was just absolutely BRILLIANT. I'm just at a loss for words for what you've accomplished here, and I'm telling you right now, this thing should have way more reviews than it does. But I digress.

I think I told you this in another review I left for you, but your characterization, with every single character is just pitch perfect. You capture all of them to a tee. And you highlight so well every good quality of them, and every bad. No one character is perfect, or faultless, or blameless in any of it, and it only serves to add more weight and more poignancy to the whole thing.

I literally felt my heart aching as the story progressed, knowing which end it would lead to. And I think it was an utter stroke of genius, the way you interwove scene from the past with scenes from the present, throwing into context just how truly tragic it was, the way things turned out, by showing a time when everything seemed so good and so hopeful. Truly, the scenes from the past were bittersweet in relation to the reality of the present, most especially the scenes between Sif and Loki. And it's through Sif's perspective that you give the reader a real insight into Loki as a character, and to the utter tragedy of him, really. Because, unlike the greater majority of the Aesir, she sees him without bias, and knows to appreciate his talents and abilities, along with Thor.

He's of course, so gifted, and so hugely intelligent, and in the beginning, though always guarded, you show him to be exceptionally kind and introspective and wise well beyond his years. And that just makes what happened to him all the more heartbreaking and bitter.

I thought every single scene was so well executed, and so integral to the story as a whole, everything working so well together, and so cohesive. What's most strikingly tragic, really, is how fiercely loyal Loki actually is to Thor throughout the story. He's a mischief maker, yes, and he leads Thor on various quests and challenges, etc... But only ever what he knows his brother can handle, only what he knows, ultimately, will end in Thor's triumphs and glory. And he warns Thor against those quests which in actuality could pose a danger to him and his companions. You get across so amazingly Loki's actual love and care for Thor, and while understated, and often mocking, his ultimate wish for Thor to do and be well. You convey that Loki would literally follow Thor into the depths of Hell, and again, that makes his betrayal and fall at the end all the worse. Because it wasn't always so. Not anywhere close.

But probably my favorite scene from this entire story, sad as it may be, was the final confrontation between Sif and Loki before he fell completely. In the thrown room. I just absolutely adored this scene, because you captured exactly, EXACTLY what it was that made Loki in the film such a sympathetic and deeply complex character. Someone who was more than just a villain, or evil. Someone who was emotionally destitute and heartbroken. The point in which he's explaining to Sif his plan, how he plans on slaying Laufy when he comes to kill Odin, because he's deluded himself into believing it will win him Odin's adoration and implicit trust, it just so, so, so sad. I had a difficult time reading it, because Loki is so viciously desperate for Odin'a approval and love, and for Odin to look upon him as he looks upon Thor. With that same level of love and pride and, again, trust. So much so to the point that he's literally willing to craft a scenario in which he can "save the day" as Thor might. It shows you the depth of Loki's feelings of inadequacy as compared to Thor, in that he thinks the only way for him to win that trust and approval from Odin is to be as Thor. Of course, Loki never can be. He's so wholly opposite to Thor. And it's of course here where Odin was at fault. It wasn't that he didn't love Loki. But that he could never really hide the fact that he loved Thor more. And that he instinctually always mistrusted Loki. When Loki's telling Sif that once he executes his plan, then Odin will not look at him in fear, and will embrace him, and that they will all see that he is worthy, that was just one of the most heart-wrenching, poignant and gripping moments in the story, or in any story I've ever read. Because Loki wants it SO badly, he wants so much for it to work, and he can't see the danger there, he can't even fathom the plan failing, or not working, he needs so desperately for it to. Like he's just blind with grief, all of his great wisdom gone out the window for the desolation of his heart.

Again, it's that which ultimately makes Loki such a sympathetic character, in the movie verse, and you've only captured and highlighted what it was further. Just a brilliant, brilliant job. I sincerely hope you continue to write within this fandom, and maybe, somewhere down the line, as you left open at the end of this story, there'll be room for redemption in Loki's future. You make the reader want it so badly for him and Sif and Thor. You really do.

Bravo on an amazing piece of literature. Fanfiction is lucky to have such a gifted writer lurking it's boards!
Morbid DramaQueen10 chapter 1 . 6/26/2012
Oh, so many things I could say. Let me start with agoa9hgbianvoiane...this is simply brilliant. I admit, the transitions threw me at first, but once I got it the story flowed nicely. Sif/Loki has never been a pairing I've seriously read before, but this has made me a fan. I'm really excited to read the follow-ups now. Thank you for sharing this beautiful piece. I know I'll be coming back to re-read soon!

Lovely. Breathtaking. Just...*sigh* Fangirling right now.

Dania