Reviews for The Beginning
Anne Onymus chapter 1 . 2/3/2015
It was kind of you to make his obesity fake. I don't like Vetinari very much - not so much /like/ him, as intellectually appreciate the idea of a benevolent Big Brother - yet my faulty sixteen-year-old female mind couldn't stand the thought of his actually being fat.
Anyway, this story is a marvel (urgh, almost spelled that "merval" and then "mavrel"), a completely in-character but completely unexpected explanation. "The essence of Deep Sea Bloatfish" - that's stored in my headcanon now. :)
TreacleMineRoad chapter 1 . 11/22/2013
I read this awhile back and didn't comment on it, but it's absolutely brilliant. This wonderfully explains how Vetinari could be the obese Patrician of the first novels. I like, like, like. There's always something to think about in Vetinari's rise to power.
Freyalyn chapter 1 . 7/11/2011
"Doctor Follet had not been thinking entirely logically here. He had failed to understand that while an Assassin's body is important as a working tool, there is a far more important and essential one between the Assassin's ears, one that remains untouched and unseen behind physical obesity."

A very common misapprehension - but one that Vetinari frequently took advantage of. Lovely little story - is this a one off or going further?
Nimbus Llewelyn chapter 1 . 7/8/2011
Oh very clever, you've got round a continuity snarl up very well. You could send the idea off to pratchett himself.