Reviews for The Siege of Shanxi
Revliledpembroke chapter 41 . 11/6
Hmmm... what is this interspecies cooperation? The Citadel races knoweth not of such things. Not in the sense that there would be a force with Turian, Asari, Salarian, and Human commanders, with Elcor and Hanar invited to play roles in it.

NO! Everyone race fights individually, using their own tactics. The Citadel doesn't have any combined fighting force.

Well, aside from the Merc groups. Capitalism did what no government could do, it seems. Make blended species units. In the games, at least.
Fulcrum-2 chapter 45 . 9/5
This story is a rare beast indeed. A war story able to deliver on the emotional, technical, action, character and worldbuilding fronts all at once. All I can say is bravo for putting together this epic opera. By the end of it I felt closer to the people, places and experiences in the story than I ever expected when I started and the way you painted the political context behind the conflict was masterful indeed.

On a more personal note, I must thank you for including Pakistani soldiers among the Alliance garrison at Shanxi, it's always a pleasant experience to see my homeland playing a positive role in a story. Its one of my dreams that we will one day stand shoulder to shoulder with the rest of humanity, united in cooperation. Thank you for indulging that fantasy. I'm going to go ahead and read the rest of your stories now, so I sincerely hope that you continue to write, whether on this site or elsewhere - I'd love to see where else you can take your writing.
Beatiful story.
Revliledpembroke chapter 7 . 7/5
Hew-mons? I didn't know the Turians were related to the Ferengi.
Thank you. It was a great read. Look forward to whatever you start next.
Ase Of SpADeZ chapter 45 . 5/18
It means something to me too
survivor686 chapter 44 . 5/3
PS: Kudos on reflecting the harsh-realities of casualties for airborne forces (at least in modern times), for Anderson. A lesser author would have depicted the N-operation as super-soldiers, effortlessly cutting their way through the opposition.

And well-done on wrapping up the Anderson-Hannah Shepard 'affair'. Even though it started out rocky and controversially, it ended on a a realistic note with a suitable dosage of pathos and tragedy.
survivor686 chapter 45 . 5/3
Please consider this a review of chapters 44 and 45

Chapter 44:
In many ways, this chapter is an exemplar example of the more 'considered' chapters of your work. I admire the manner in which you neatly wrapped up the political games played within and between the races of the galaxy.

In particular I found the exchange between Sparatus and Vorenus to be a highlight of this work. The interplay of hope, judgement, advice and honour, as the 'baton' is passed from one to another was excellently done. In many ways, you've added additional depth to a character many passed off.

Joaquim's 'forced' retirement was handled quite well. You clearly established as to how an organization would handle the fallout of a Shanxi-level event: Praise the heroes and hide the losers. Madalena's review of Williams casts a much needed perspective on Joaquim's actions and highlight how things could have gone differently

Chapter 45:
For a die-hard Alliance fanboy, its strange that I should find Fautan's fate to be tragic. I can only put this down to your excellent characterization: for a character we only see a few times, his scenes are well done. A minor point: Kudos on the correct usage of the 'hastatim'. You've correctly characterized what their role would be within Turian society

Now to address the elephant in the room: Harper and Saren chatting with each other.
- For two individuals who later become/lead nativist agendas, its strange that they should interact with each other so soon after the death of Desolas. That being said, their meeting has the suitable aura of menace, akin to the charged dinner scene of HEAT.
- That being said, it does put Cerberus' role in ME1 in a new light. Did TIM know about the assault on Eden Prime? Did Saren and TIM have a falling out during their attempts to coordinate their response against the Reapers? Was TIM indoctrinated from the beginning? So many questions, with nearly all of them serving as the basis for another story within the ME universe.

Final notes:
The Siege of Shanxi serves as a fine example of how an independent novelist can work with an existing universe and actually make it far better. You've successfully combined the high stakes of strategy, the political intrigue inherent to space-faring politics, the advancements of 22nd century warfare, and the brutal reality of combat into a story that grips the reader from start to finish.

the Siege of Shanxi is not a good fan-fic. Its an excellent, independent saga that just happens to take place within the Mass Effect universe, to a degree far superior than the 'licensed' stories.

PS: My delay in reviewing the chapters was in strong part due to my mixed feeling on ending the story. A part of me just didn't want it to end, but for it to keep on going. That's how good this piece was.
Chris Adair chapter 45 . 4/11
This was absolutely amazing! Found it about a week ago on someone elses favourites page. This is gritty and feels real. With heros on all sides. If you write a sci-fi novel, I'll probably buy that if it's even half as good as this.
Commissar Critical chapter 45 . 3/5
Quite the story. I'm shocked, still, by it's quality. Bravo.
Commissar Critical chapter 43 . 3/5
God damn. Who did you talk to...or what did you experience. That was...spot on. Brings back a lot of stuff. Good job man.
Commissar Critical chapter 34 . 3/5
Ugh, politicians like Costa should be shot. I know plenty of politicians like that in American government, and they're all scum. Also, where are the drones? I find it hard to believe artillery units of the future don't have miniature spotting drones, considering the Russians are already using them to great effect in Ukraine.
Commissar Critical chapter 17 . 3/4
Your depiction of Esprit de Corps is near spot on, the idea that you might improve it is a welcome thought!
If you read this, I have been reading for a while and have never commented on ANY fan fic. You have written an amazing story that is real and believable. You have done one hell of a job and I salute you sir.
DarkLaplander chapter 45 . 2/17
Congrats for finishing this great piece of art for us to read and appreciate.