Reviews for She Listens Like Spring
TiaBolt chapter 1 . 2/20/2012
I am a Jun/Piandao shipper. And I loved this. Im not even sure they were romantically inclined towards each other but their interactions were spot on. Once again I feel conflicted because as with all your Fics, I feel like laughing and crying at the same time but I just end up sighing and going on to read more of your Fics.
hydroknight01 chapter 1 . 12/7/2011
Tell you what, this was a strange one - but in the best possible way. Me and my gang of rank amatures tend to write as-though within the canon, or at very-least the rough timeline, but I just can't place where this one should go.

Nevertheless, a bloody brilliant piece. I do like the plot-pairing, too; 'unexpected' perks my ears every time, and this didn't disapoint.

Bravo, mate. Keep it up.

Hydroknight, Team Hydro
PennEternity chapter 1 . 8/16/2011
This is an extremely bad-ass story, firstly. I really liked the characters (seeing Bumi actually being the Grand Lotus equals awesome)and their interactions. Also the conflicting ... morals? emotions? of Piandao were extremely realistic and well developed. I think it stands to reason and really does need to be emphasized that the members of the fire nation who defected would deal with some pretty rough shit, and I comend you for acknowledging that.

Other:

'"Yes, I am the contact." A shudder of suppressed agony crosses his face, and he takes up a ramrod-stiff stance, raises his hands up to the sides of his head and takes his earlobes between forefingers and thumbs, and intones in the most pained voice imaginable: "See the little goblin, see his little feet."

Ah. Yes. Of course. I, in my turn, put my left hand on my hip and raise my right to hang limply roughly vertical with my eyes, and declare: "And his little nosey-wose, isn't the goblin sweet."

In unison, we both declare "Yes."'

I don't think I have ever laughed harder at the written word. Ever. Bravo, sir.
Seerss chapter 1 . 7/18/2011
This was fantastic, and I loved the background information it gave on the past. Keep on being awesome
Loopy777 chapter 1 . 7/13/2011
That actually turned out a lot different than I expected. I'll go in order with my reactions, to make sure that I don't miss anything good:

Shaving. Homage to the original Seven Samurai movie? That's what it reminded me of.

Bumi! I'm not sure if you've written much for him before, you have his voice and mannerisms spot on, here. I was most amused by his mid-sentence switch on Kuei, and also the Herculean tasks he assigned to Piandao.

"The Defector" as a title for Piandao is interesting. It indicates a level of notoriety that I hadn't expected to exist in this universe, even by the Gentleman era. Does he do many personal missions like this? I got the feeling he was more of a behind-the-scenes, applied very strategically and covertly kind of agent.

Enjoyed all the comments about the use of a whip as a weapon. Now that I think about it, a big proponent of the sword like Piandao would be a bit disgusted by some of the crazy stuff people use as weapons. I wonder what his first reaction to that Crazy Armor from "Sokka's Master" was. I assume he visited that shop.

The descriptions of Ba Sing Se were rather chilling, and really helped explain Iroh's reputation as of Gentlemen. So, is the main "nail" of this universe Iroh's reaction to Lu Ten's death? In continuity proper, he gives up, but here, he gets vengeance?

I wouldn't have expected Piandao to be such good friends with the Rough Rhinos, but it works for the story. They seem a bit... well, rough for his like.

Interesting description of June's fighting style. I hadn't thought about it much, but her constant success at her favorite bar must mean she's a truly powerful fighter. I don't think I've ever really seen that explored before, but the brutality of her style definitely matches her appearance.

I like the way Ogodei speaks. And yeah, Piandao and June came out the worse for that fight. Good job coming up with ways to inflict those horrible injuries on them while leaving them alive.

I wasn't expecting the jump directly to Mongke, but it works well. Another protracted fight scene probably would have been pushing it for this story, and it lets you focus on the way the mission is affecting Piandao. I wasn't expecting that tone or examination of the character in this piece, but I really enjoyed it. I don't often seen characters in a transitional state like this for Dark AU's, but you did a good job weaving it all without making Piandao too emo. Mongke's little speech could almost be a bit of a commentary on AU in general, from the character's perspective, but perhaps I'm just trying to be too clever with my analysis.

All in all, the "relationship" with June was underplayed nicely, with no big dramatic moments or character acknowledging whatever their feelings are, but they really related and got comfortable with each other. At first glance, a rough chick like June and a gentleman warrior like Piandao don't have much in common, but on the front lines of battle, where every day at work is a matter of breaking people's bodies, they inhabit the same world in a scarily effective manner, and I really felt in this piece that they acknowledged the connection. Definitely much better than just something shippy.

Definitely worth the wait!
TheBlueFoxtrot A Samba chapter 1 . 7/11/2011
It's ridiculous. I find it inconceivable how unearthly phenomenal that was.

The fact that it's not exactly a ship fic doesn't even matter. It's all in between the lines, and it holds very true to their characters. It's obvious you worked for this one.

I can't say enough good about this. Just keep doing what you're doing. Seriously.
Kimberly T chapter 1 . 7/9/2011
This is one Kick-Ass Story. Seriously.
RabulaTasa chapter 1 . 7/9/2011
I think June might well qualify for the prestigious "Most Terrifying Human(?) Alive" award. The trophy, of course, would be a tiny golden kitten with an enormous head and unnaturally big eyes and a button on the base that, when pressed, makes the kitten come to life and kill everyone in the immediate vicinity.

Or a clown. I hear people don't like clowns.

-John