Reviews for I Hear Those Voices That Will Not Be Drowned : The Cold Song Series
enchanted nightingale chapter 1 . 12/11/2011
loved it!
BAD HERO chapter 2 . 12/11/2011
really good. Awesomely so.
BAD HERO chapter 1 . 12/11/2011
wow, be still my heart, such descriptive wonder
Dancing girl chapter 2 . 11/21/2011
This story is so good that I can't begin to tell you how much I have enjoyed reading it. On the practical side you must have done a shed load of research before you even began to write; and on the more esoteric and romantic side, your love of the characters is obvious from the first word to the last. Thank you for taking the time to pen this story, and for giving so much pleasure to folk like me. I shall certainly keep an eager eye out for anything else you may write in the future. Once again, thank you.
Kris chapter 2 . 11/2/2011
A lovely beginning to a relationship. Appears true to the characters.
alice chapter 2 . 10/29/2011
holy mother of -

i liked this chapter very, very much. and not just the smut. raw and poetic (but not purply so) with a lovely flow - and some stops that make the breath catch in your throat.

thank you!
radian-ta chapter 2 . 10/29/2011
This is so incredibly beautiful: you handle everything so deftly and with such an eye for detail. The actual imagery is positively delicious. I also like that you decided to diagnose Sherlock as autistic, especially because you handled it in a very sympathetic way. Just marvelous. This is everything I could ever want from a fic and more!
anonymous chapter 2 . 10/24/2011
Your writing riddles me with shivers. You've got such cool and awesome word choice that it's enchanting to read. Thank you for writin it. :)
DumbYetBrilliant chapter 2 . 10/1/2011
Oh my GOD THIS IS AMAZING.

It was really good, I especially liked the way you went through Sherlock's thought processes, especially the ([redact]) bits. Really very clever, as that was how I expected Sherlock's mind to work.

That was surprising, with John, a nice little twist on his looking after/saving people personality, I liked the dark side of it, of him being slightly ashamed of it.

The BSDM wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I suppose I'm one of those people who sees the four letters and thinks EEEW PAIN but no, it was subtle yet got the point across.

This was really good. Really really good. (:
moviesaremagic chapter 2 . 9/30/2011
This is a great story and I love your characterization- but you need to up the rating to an M, so that people don't stumble across stuff that's more explicit than they prefer to read.
emma de los nardos chapter 2 . 9/25/2011
Hello again:

I just finished reading your second chapter, and I wanted to share my impressions.

This story displayed a depth of knowledge about a variety of topics - music, chemical dependency, S&M - that made me think about "Sherlock" in new ways. Thank you! It is wonderful to read a fic that expands the interpretive possibilities of the original show. And it was also so affirming to read a fic that touches upon my own experiences, as a musician and as a member of the mental health profession. So thank you, thank you!

As a lover of classical music, the fact that you put so much care into thinking about what Sherlock would listen to, also made me very happy. It tickled me that you had him listening to Pärt and Glass! I always thought of him as loving the crazy 20th century composers like Stravinski and Bartok, Ligeti or Hindemith, as well as Baroque composers like Vivaldi, Corelli, Bach (my personal favorite – can you imagine Sherlock playing the Chaconne? Wow.). So it was exciting for me to see that you had also identified Sherlock’s tastes as spanning both modernist and Baroque styles.

And those lines from the Barber of Seville – just perfect for Sherlock’s trade. It was amazing how you were able to add to Sherlock’s character by selecting what music he would listen to, which lyrics he would know by heart. But what about Beethoven? How could Sherlock not love Beethoven? The cello sonatas….the string quartets (ooh, Sherlock as a member of a quartet, first violin, of course – maybe I’ll write a fic about that – you are inspiring me!). And then there’s Schubert’s “Death and the Maiden” – would fit in very well with the macabre pieces that Sherlock was listening to during withdrawal. You hit on the aspect of music being a ritual: I wonder if you would consider expanding a bit on that for a future fic? For example, there are all of the rituals involved in playing a violin: opening the case, putting rosin on the bow, adjusting one’s chinrest, tuning the strings, etc. And the ritual of performance: the exact location where each musician must sit, the relationships established between the musicians, the entrance of the conductor to applause, the lone oboe playing an A440….it goes on and on. (Can you tell that I am a string player, too?).

If I’m going to comment about the addictions and S&M I better stop chattering about music now.

As I said, your story made me want to understand more about addiction, so I went to a book I have about drugs (“Buzzed: The straight facts about the most used and abused drugs,” in case it interests you). Loved your understanding of neurotransmitters involved in drug use; the euphoria of dopamine, the thrill of adrenaline (epinephrine), etc. And your understanding of sociopathy – the only story I’ve written for this fandom is about Sherlock’s (mis)diagnosis, so I liked getting another’s perspective on the “high-functioning sociopath” thing (I agree with you that he is not a sociopath). Yeah, he’s probably on the spectrum somewhere but I can see why he’d rather have other people think that he is sociopathic, not autistic.

And what the h3ll do you mean about Sherlock responding well to CBT? That made me laugh outloud, if by CBT you mean cognitive behavior therapy.

I loved this line: “Sherlock didn't just need his arse beaten- he was starving for simple affection.” So true!

OK, so the fact that you mention glossolalia in the context that you do – I don’t know whether this means that you are a psychiatrist/psychologist/neurologist/genius layperson – but this was BRILLIANT!

As you can probably tell, there were so many reasons that I liked your fic. I hope that you write more for this fandom. And I was serious when I said that you are inspiring me.

Thank you.

Emma
emma de los nardos chapter 1 . 9/24/2011
This is the story I had been waiting to read about Sherlock and John and what it would be like for John to have to live with someone who uses, after having had an alcoholic sister. I could just imagine him putting some kind of ultimatum to Sherlock, because John just can't live with another addict, right? Though I did find it strange-or perhaps meaningful-that John in the series says with disbelief, "This man, an addict?" when lestrade & company perform the drug bust. Oh course Sherlock could be an addict! He has an obsessive/addictive personality.

I dont know nearly as much about drugs as I ought to, working in the field of mental health, but I found your descriptions of sherlock's rituals to sound very authentic. I hope that whatever firsthand knowlege you might have did not create too much distress to write about.

And please let this really be the last time for Sherlock!
inyourarmsnow chapter 2 . 9/24/2011
Oh boy, this was so amazing that I was actually blushing by the end. I also feel like I haven't blinked in a very long time because I've been staring intensely at my computer reading this masterpiece. Characters were so realistic and well written. Just...brilliant 3
Guest chapter 2 . 9/22/2011
Beautiful. Just beautiful. Your description of the ritual and the emotion behind all of it is breathtaking.
phoenixluv chapter 2 . 9/22/2011