Reviews for Cold Fish
kimmy4eytj chapter 1 . 11/10/2011
I decided I should re-read this story. Most auxiliary characters just pass through a scene on TV, say their lines and off they go. We saw Dr Brightman several times. Each time she demonstrated a quick, agile mind, able to take in the minimalist information but perform her tasks efficiently and competently. She showed no hesitancy in helping TJ learn how to do Rush's surgery. She provided TJ enough information that she was able to continue the surgery once the Stones failed.

You have imbue your Dr Brightman as vividly with these qualities. Her determination, her drive to be better for her patients, it's all about them to her. Her family motto is her mantra, reinforcing her Hippocratic oath.

Her concern for Colonel Young is touching. What is it about him that draws her in? His pained silences? His soft brown eyes, filled with pain but also with pride. He withstood a horrid confinement and came home. He survived but wasn't broken. But he's filled with his failing, she can see that and wants to help him further.

I'm very intrigued by Colonel Young's captivity and look forward to and expansion story about it.

Brightman's pain as being called back to Destiny, to assist in surgery to friend and foe alike, her regret and suffering at TJ's loss of Carmen. And Young's too she learns, another whip stripe to Young's back makes her sad.

Brightman is a good doctor, knows that in order to function at her highest ability, she must keep some distance from her patients. Is it just that she saw herself in Young, that he embodied her motto, reflecting it back at her, that she saw herself so clearly in his pained eyes? That she knew she was on the correct path for her life, and Young's one expression explained it to her?

Brightman is a complex woman, a passionate woman despite her nickname and I'd have her at my back any day.
elaiel chapter 1 . 7/23/2011
Lovely!
AlexanderD chapter 1 . 7/12/2011
Wonderful story. It's refreshing to see a take on a character most forgot after the episode was over. Thank you.
websandwhiskers chapter 1 . 7/10/2011
This is really nicely done, and quite insightful.