Reviews for Usurer's Mercy
faults in stars chapter 8 . 11/9/2012
I have read this whole story and I must say it brought tears to my eyes. Your writing style is perfect and your Shylock is everything I have ever thought of him. You write him perfectly. It's extraordinary. I would wish to be more articulate but I cannot. I really would like you to continue this. Because no one will be able to write Shylock as well as you do. So thank you so, so much for this and I hope you continue it.
Volodya chapter 7 . 6/15/2012
Hooray! *dances the update-dance*
bhut chapter 7 . 6/14/2012
Another great chapter. Thanks for the updating your wonderful story, too!
The Pangurban Scribe chapter 4 . 1/14/2012
Am loving it. The asides, the comparisons and analogies-so well woven. This is well crafted. The idea of mercy and salvation are the glue holding it together.
The Pangurban Scribe chapter 5 . 1/14/2012
"I should feel better after venting my anger at Antonio, not worse. Instead it seems as if I have betrayed some trust." Therein lies the complexities of feelings. What we think should make us feel better, does not. How human is this. We get what we thought would make us happy, but we are still dissatisfied.

Your writing is rich and layered with many ideas for discussion. Shakespeare might have inspired Shylock but you are unraveling his humanity.
The Pangurban Scribe chapter 3 . 1/14/2012
Since the concept of mercy is theologically ascribed to the maker-We are all saved only through God's mercy- the practice of mercy is then to emulate the maker. "It(mercy) droppeth as a gentle rain from heaven," says Portia. Shylock is wrestling with the very nature of man. Are we created to be godlike? If we do not practice mercy are we then emulating god's archenemy, Satan? Very sophisticated and polished writing here. Quite a level above what is normally found at this site.
The Pangurban Scribe chapter 2 . 1/14/2012
Note: Venice law made female prostitutes expose their breasts to prove they were women and not males dressed as such.

You know your play and have added a new level of complexity that Will might have liked seeing that his own sexuality was a bit shadowy (the Dark Lady of the sonnets).

Well written and presented so far.
The Pangurban Scribe chapter 1 . 1/14/2012
Some nice subtleties here like can a forced conversion be meaningful, even though many actually happened throughout Europe.I like the study of revenge and whether real pleasure can be taken in it. Look forward to the next chapter.
Volodya chapter 5 . 12/23/2011
An update on this wonderful story. That's what I call a christmas present! Okay, a little early and I sure can't wait till the 25th to read it...

Thank you so much!
Mirabella chapter 1 . 10/3/2011
I read this! And enjoyed!
bhut chapter 4 . 9/21/2011
Another fine chapter! Yes, Shylock is one of the least likely people to be seen as a good Samaritan, so to hear that parable would result in misunderstandings and dicussions. Still, this chapter was quite touching, and I've enjoyed reading it a lot. Cheers!
Madianna chapter 3 . 8/17/2011
Oh poor Antonio! I feel so bad for him and what he went through. I hope Shylock takes care of him. By the way, I love this story, it's a brilliant concept and idea. Keep writing, I've really enjoyed it so far :)
bhut chapter 3 . 8/17/2011
Nice update! Shylock is trying to make amends of some sort, but Antonio - and himself - are not making it any easier. Ignazio, of course, does well as a comic relief, and the appearance of Tubal and Dr. Levitus was interesting. I am impressed with the pace of the story. Keep up the good work.
bhut chapter 2 . 7/20/2011
Hey, an update! Cool! Interesting humanizing of Shylock, though yes, it is kind of unusual and unexpected. Still, I am enjoying reading this a lot, and can't wait and see what will happen next. Cheers!
sirentears chapter 2 . 7/19/2011
The second chapter is wonderful! Brilliant dialogues, still love your Shylock)) and special thank-you for the Christopher Moore reference, it made me laugh with delight. *looking forward for the next installment*