Reviews for Soldier Boys and Flower Girls
FullMentalPanic chapter 1 . 10/1/2013
I'm a dedicated Zerith shipper. It really does take a bit of creative reasoning to get the Crisis Core Aerith squared with the FFVII original Aerith, though. Having her in denial does seem like one of the most sense-making explanations and I like the way you go about it. Great move telling this all from Elmyra's perspective, and it's totally intriguing to get her look at Aerith's psyche and how she would rather destroy something herself than have it stolen from her. You have a very keen grasp of her personality, both Aerith's and Elmyra's, and how you outline the reasons for her behavior really makes sense. Knowing about Zack's experiment riddled imprisonment does make Elmyra's estimation of his dependability seem monstrously unfair. Even though it's peppered with motherly caution, Elmyra's perspective still reveals so many positive things about Zack and Aerith's relationship just because she sees how Aerith acts behind closed doors and she can't deny that Zack has some great qualities, I seriously enjoyed how that worked.

It seems like there might be a touch of hypocrisy in how she regards Zack's participation in the war because her husband fought in that same war. Of course Mr. Gainsborough was drafted so that's an entirely different kettle of fish. Elmyra's perspective on judging was intriguing because I agree that there are deeds that you can straight up mark as wicked, but I don't agree with all of her examples. Very interesting though to get her take on Zack's SOLDIER status and what she thinks of what he's done and his aspirations for hero status, which I think she kind of harshly oversimplifies. She's dead on with the head-count remark though, and he's definitely effective when he goes to Wutai. I got the impression though that the Fort Tamblin mission could have been his only tour of duty over there, and even though he took people down he didn't seem particularly bloodthirsty while doing it and even spared the lives of some of them. There's definite irony in the 'saving a comrade' remark, because he does that too. You know all of this, I just feel compelled to defend one of my fictional favorites against the prejudices of another fictional character.

Despite everything, I smiled over how you got Aerith to wear the same pink outfit every day. It made bittersweet sense, but I got a kick out of the explanation for game mechanics. I thought that Aerith's response to Cloud was a direct result of her relationship with Zack, too, and that it was more of an effort to hold onto Zack than to move on with Cloud and that's why she had that slightly guilty confession in Gondola ride where she talked about really getting to know him. This review certainly turned into a ramble, but I really liked the story. It's wonderful to see how Elmyra cares for Aerith, even if she misreads Zack, and it just thrills me to have the Aerith and Zack relationship explored and commented on even if it is tinged with grief.
in citrus heights chapter 1 . 5/24/2013
That's nice. I kinda thought the same thing; Aeris seeing similar characteristics in Cloud that she'd seen in Zack, making her comfortable and curious to find out more. I think she kinda knew, or at least felt somehow the two were connected. But I also believe she liked Cloud for his own person, too. She wanted to meet the real him, as she said in a certain gondola ride.
wanderingflipflops chapter 1 . 8/18/2011
Awesome work! :)
young dawn chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
My goodness, this was brilliant. You got the depth and emotions down just right. You described everything so perfectly. It was a true work of art. Well done.
Dust in the Light-Crisi chapter 1 . 7/11/2011
Great little one shot here. You did an excelent job getting into Aerith and Elmyra's mindsets.

I always felt that too. That Aerith was mostly in denial...she d rather believe Zack unfaithful or that he played her than accept his death. And the one scene, where his parents were asking about him...she was behaving guiltily because she knew he was dead and she wasnt telling them because she refused to accept it herself...
Ilada'Jefiv chapter 1 . 7/11/2011
Wow... This was wow good. You really got into the grit and guts of Elmyra's emotions and thoughts and displayed them with heart-wrenching sincerity. It also gives me a peak into Aeris' life from someone who saw and loved only her. Great job!