Reviews for Thursdays with My Father
Shelomit chapter 1 . 7/23/2013
There's a bit of a theatrum mundi topos here. The manipulation to which the son claims his father submits him parallels the more dramatic manipulations in which Amedda was complicit. This is a world in which everyone is playing a part. The child "plaster[s his] dutiful-son expression on [his] face" and suspects that his father's illness is half-affectation. Amedda "chose to be my father when it suited him," and of course there's that whole establishing the Empire thing. The ringleader is Sidious, who is Palpatine, who is willing to stage both sides of an intra-galactic conflict to get his way. And COMPNOR hears it all; this is a frighteningly unbalanced world. You paint a political and familial scene in which there is so little unvarnished truth that, when one layer of lies is stripped away, the narrator is cast adrift. Despite his acknowledgement that his own profession is based on untruths, a glimpse at the scale of this manipulative machine is enough to scare him silent.

I think this is the first fic I have read that explores-even if as an ancillary consideration-the position of non-Humans who support the Imperial regime. Your narrator openly mocks his judicial position and the fact that an alien can only hope to climb so high in the Imperial bureaucracy. At the same time, he is willing to go on in this position, to submit to whatever he has to in order to survive. It chafes him, but not too badly, and he finds some meaning in maintaining what dignity he has ("Stoicism is the hallmark of our species.")

A flaw from which the "Star Wars" franchise tends to suffer is its too-clear divisions between good and evil. This fic does an excellent job of portraying the shades in between. Both Amedda and his son feel that they have no choice, and have to do awful things for reasonable reasons. The key, perhaps, is this: "Who is this man in front of me? Where has the monster gone?" It is so much simpler when you know who to hate.

Your narrator's black humor is perfectly suited to this outlook. The best line? "I hope not. I hate lawyers." Thoroughly enjoyed.
Darth Breezy chapter 1 . 3/6/2013
God, I still love this piece - such a kick in the heart...
Anime-StarWars-fan-zach chapter 1 . 7/3/2012
Wow. This was a great and wonderful oneshot; a real insight to the character of Mas Amedda, I think, or at least how he could have turned out. Great job! Keep up the great and wonderful work!
Shulamith Bonderovsky chapter 1 . 8/30/2011
This was one of the best fanfictions i've read in a while. It's good to see people take their writing seriously on this site.
pronker chapter 1 . 7/12/2011
Excellent coming of *mental* age story - I'm glad to see this here!