Reviews for The Quiet Life of Severus Snape
blown-transistor chapter 19 . 5/29/2012
Another wonderful chapter!
TessLouise chapter 19 . 5/29/2012
I'm glad you've used the scar - it is a powerful image.
hnwhitlock2000 chapter 19 . 5/29/2012
Very good Sev!
heartmom88 chapter 19 . 5/29/2012
Ahh... I'm not sure I've read any other fic with that explanation for Hermione's inability to lift the memory charm-well done! It makes total and complete sense, especially in this context.

I've become quite a fan of this story. :) Looking forward to reading more soon!

Thanks for posting-

hm88
Lifeasanamazon chapter 19 . 5/28/2012
I am enjoying this story enormously. Your writing wraps the reader securely in your world and carries them along. I forget what I'm doing when I'm reading!
JeniDRalph chapter 19 . 5/28/2012
I'm glad you included the "Mudblood" scar. It is a powerful image and branding of "inferiors" is historically accurate. It's happened too many times in the past. Because canon is from Harry's POV and Harry was in the dungeon while Hermione was being tortured, we don't know for sure what all was inflicted upon the poor girl. I could even see her being too ashamed to tell him.

Great chapter. I'm glad they addressed her parents.
SmirkusPanda chapter 18 . 5/26/2012
Update soon! You're a fantastic writer and this fic Is amazing!
duj chapter 18 . 5/24/2012
Nobody knows how the wizarding govt works. Popular feeling can unseat a Minister of Magic, but they don't seem to have elections. Best guess is that the Wizengamot, prompted by public opinion, vote on whether to boot the existing Minister and whom to replace him with. And how does the Wizengamot appoint itself? I suspect that whenever there's a vacancy, by impeachment, infirmity or death, the existing members vote on the new one.
duj chapter 16 . 5/24/2012
It's a bit silly to talk of "second-to-last defence for the Stone", given that the whole thing was a trap meant to draw Voldemort to the Mirror and keep him there till Harry/Dumbledore got there. If Snape had really wanted to keep people away from the Stone, then *none* of the potions would have let people through. If Flitwick had really wanted to keep people out, then *none* of the keys would have opened the door.
duj chapter 15 . 5/24/2012
I never thought Dumbledore's trust was a good reason for Hermione to trust, and still don't. But she always thought too highly of Gryffindors.

It turns out that life debts are fanon, a misunderstanding of Dumbledore's (lying) explanation in PS. There is no magical compulsion, only a sense of obligation/gratitude/owing that a man of honour naturally feels and that will even give momentary pause to a man of no honour if he's reminded at a strategic moment.
duj chapter 12 . 5/24/2012
"whatever a sneaky seventh-year Slytherin spiked the punch with..."

And there her prejudice shows again, given that in her day it was *Gryffindors* (the twins) who were most likely to be the ones spiking the punch.

"...took part in tormenting and bullying others.."

I don't know how you parse that from canon. After the Shack incident, Lily complained that his friends were "evil ...creepy" and that one of them had "tried to do" something to Mary when Snape wasn't there. (She wasn't asking for information, or she'd have waited for an answer; she was expressing indignation.) After SWM, she accused him of being a DE-wannabe and calling people "Mudblood". She never mentions him bullying or tormenting anyone. (I don't believe for a moment that that word broke the friendship, BTW. When she could trust a Marauder over him about what happened when no one else was present, when she could hear that he'd almost died and not even bother to check on his welfare or ask how he was when they did meet, clearly her friendship was already broken.)
duj chapter 11 . 5/24/2012
Oops. ffnet mixed up my reviews. (I must have forgotten to press send on the previous one before clicking on ch 10 review, I suppose.) So that was for a previous chapter and this comment is for ch 10:

" One of her third-years had somehow gotten frog brains splattered all over the east wall of her dungeon classroom, and by the time she had gotten Filch to start in on cleaning up the mess..." How she has changed from the girl who wanted to free house-elves. Yes, Filch is the janitor while she's a professor, but he's a Squib and she's not. A simple Scourgify could probably clean what sounds like it will take him all night.

ch 11

Minerva's really overstepping the line, IMO. No wonder Hermione's thought-boxes call her "meddling harpy".
duj chapter 10 . 5/24/2012
"She would not have had the strength to do anything but tell the truth. She would have been quite incapable of lying while pain and panic blinded her..."

But she did manage to lie. Most of what she said was true, but she knew that "it isn’t the real sword! It’s a copy, just a copy!" was not. OTOH, the Mudblood carved into her arm thing didn't happen in the books either, so maybe you're going for movie canon. I don't remember that well enough to say whether it fits.

How does she have scars from the night of Dumbledore's death? She wasn't in the fighting at all. (Unless that's movie canon too?)
duj chapter 5 . 5/24/2012
"...how Harry would hold up under torture, seeing as he'd never experienced anything of the sort before that..."

Er, what? He'd been tortured by Voldemort.

"I was never exactly provided an example of how to become inventive—"

Like the Weasley twins?
duj chapter 4 . 5/24/2012
She has a nerve giving back points he docked without even asking him why he took them. It shows that she trusts the student's word more than his, which is very improper treatment of a senior colleague.
366 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »