Reviews for What Dreams May Come
Lady Amiee chapter 1 . 8/21/2013
This is ... so poetic, haunting and sorrowful, KG. Your stories just awe me, the prose is always so subtle, not trying to smash your reader over the head with too much, it's ... subtle sorrow, and it really tears the heartstrings.

God, I loved this. Ash, has never been one of the characters I like, but I could picture her in this without getting annoyed, you write her really well.

I adored this, and really would love some more, please, please, please do more. God, Thane as a spirit guide! kg you've given me so many cravings for your stories!
Full-Paragon chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
Ashley as Shepard's spirit guide? I want more!
eriskbo chapter 1 . 1/29/2013
Building on some of the most beautiful and poignant phrases in the English language you have created a rich and moving dream sequence/ near death sequence rich with symbolism. Few words that say a lot.
Hoplite39 chapter 1 . 1/27/2013
Full of imagery. Ending brought a tear to my eye.
Taupe Two chapter 1 . 1/24/2013
Death, what may come afterward, dreams etc...it's an intriguing place to visit. I like the image of when she's sitting on the branch and looks down, only to see that the field has turned into a void, and she falls into the river of space (reminds me of that sensation we sometimes get in that stage right before sleep, when we feel like we're falling). And I LOVE the line "a garden of white stones arranged neatly in rows and columns as if a spectral army were marching into battle." VERY cool. As for the Shakespeare connection, I haven't read his stuff since high school, but Hamlet's speech you chose here is the most memorable to me ... very deep lol. I think I see the connection between Ophelia and Shepard now, how Ophelia was driven mad after the death of her father, which she feels partly responsible for, and how Shepard feels responsible for the death of Ashley... Anyway, cool stuff.
thebluninja chapter 1 . 1/18/2013
Huh ... this story actually makes me wonder why Shepard never talks about the experience of being dead for so long. Unless you're going for the usual tactic of "nobody remembers", which works too. I feel more sorry for Ashley, actually, who got stuck hanging around the graveyard until Shepard finally showed up for only a few lines and only then gets to move on. Of course, that then begs the question of what Shepard's ghost/spirit does for the next two years until Cerberus brings her back to life. Haunt the graveyard? Attempt to pester the council from beyond the grave? Go take a look at the Reapers outside the galaxy and then not remember any of it?
LegionN7 chapter 1 . 1/18/2013
I got some serious chills reading this. Metaphysical and powerful
Aeternix chapter 1 . 1/14/2013
Twisted and brutal, I loved every moment of it. You placed some powerful imagery of dream, shadows, fire, and water all in your story. I could deconstruct them all and say that Claire is going through the motions of lost movement with her death. Each of these images moves and shimmers differently, yet each is not static in its own devices. Dreams shift and change setting and tone rapidly, while shadows quake and depart in the night. Fire burns and twists in the wind and water hushes along the bank and creates its own path. The fact that you associate these images to Shepard as she is falling through the stages of her demise is very powerful, almost ironic, as it seems that she is losing the very thing she had left that made her human. Each image is toying with her, mocking her then moving on. Yet she cannot move on. She is static in her devices as she falls she cannot control her life. This becomes all the more apparent when she sees Ash before her, the one person she could not save no matter how hard she tried. Virmire was the one place where she could not control the situation. This scene after the toils of her accepting her static role provides that existential jab into what makes us all who we are. Perfectly summed up by the words on the gravestone, "Dreams are true while they last, and do we not live in dreams?
Powerfully stuff and the fact that I could dig deeper if I wanted shows that this is an impressive piece of fiction. It seems too short, like you could have gone deeper into this twisted reality. It is short and sweet though and I am not sure how elongating it will change the pace of the tale.
Written really well with powerful symbolism, I cannot help but wonder why you picked Ophelia for Shepard's personification. I assume it is because of how Hamlet brought her life to a halt, forced her to be as static as her father when he denied her love. Her suicide was her last great chance to regain that movement, to fight against the fates that had denied her everything she ever wanted (this is but one way to look at this scene). These are my interpretations and I am interested to see yours.
My last comment is to have a page break before the codex, or at least bold or italics the word "CODEX" so we have a more visual differentiation between the story and the side information.
Brilliant stuff, I am thoroughly impressed.
Inkess chapter 1 . 1/11/2013
I rarely remember my dreams, mostly nightmares and really intense ones, but I do believe that they can tell a lot about us. Our mind reveals a lot when its conscious part is turned off.

I liked that Ashley was promoted after death. She deserved it, after being treated like crap for what her grandfather did. The image of Shepard as Ophelia was also memorable.

Was the man with the rose Kaidan?

All in all, I loved this, it was so touching and sad. You kept the confusing feel of a dream, but stayed true to the original theme of the story.
PadawanMage chapter 1 . 7/13/2011
Very sad, sweet and memorable...

...almost wondered if the Cerberus techs could've detected if Shepard had been dreaming?
Wolfox6 chapter 1 . 7/13/2011
Oh, very nice. Sad, haunting and touching. I never liked Ashley (or Kaidan), but for some strange reason, my heart just went out to her in this.

Well done!