Reviews for Here in Blue
zulka chapter 1 . 6/11
This was great. I think you did a wonderful job. Goku leaving never bothered me when I was younger, but then once I was older I was like...wait...what? lol and it made my heartache a bit. I still can't hate him though, he had a very different upbringing from them and never really had a "family" so while i believe that he does love them and appreciates them, he doesn't necessarily do so the way most of us would. I love this Videl/Gohan chat about it. :)
aangismyhomie chapter 1 . 8/24/2015
Beautiful imagery, and very in character. Great job!
gabelou1991 chapter 1 . 6/17/2015
strangebloke chapter 1 . 12/22/2013
Of course, the actual reason Goku chose to leave everyone behind had more to do with bad writing than anything. The people in charge of GT didn't have the respect for the characters that the original writer did, and they made some pretty stupid decisions.

I like this explanation too, though. Goku is no less obsessed with being ultimate than Vegeta is, and sometimes his family has suffered for it. I like how this fic gives Chi-Chi some good press too; I feel like most of the fans dislike her for stupid reasons. She puts up with so much, and still raises some pretty awesome kids mostly by herself.

I also really like the Gohan/Videl pairing, mostly because she's an outsider coming into the Dragonball Z world, which makes her very identifiable, and allows for some great perspective as well. Its too easy as a viewer of the show to get caught up in the craziness of the story, and Videl exists to bring the whole thing back to earth.
low on inspiration chapter 1 . 3/17/2013
I really enjoyed this. This is the first fic I've personally read that's dealt with the aftermath of Goku's constant leaving and the effects his doing so has on his family and friends, and I thought you did a wonderful job. I enjoyed that it was from Videl's POV, and I like how you connected Goku's leaving and how it affects Chi-Chi to Videl's own insecurities in her marriage to Gohan. I think you did an excellent job writing and analyzing the characters, and I think your writing is absolutely beautiful. Great job!
feedthegrimmjows chapter 1 . 2/5/2013
This was just amazing. You have a real gift at writing and I would love to read more DBZ stuff from you. :)
Zuchiku chapter 1 . 12/22/2012
I think this is beautiful. I can completely see this happen and I find the explanations about Goku's and ChiChi's personalities on the spot.
Marochre chapter 1 . 10/22/2012
Oh, the feels. This gave me so many. God, the annoyance I feel at Goku sometimes. The series, I guess because it was just never 'that' kind of series, really did shy away from some of the deeper issues of abandonment and your story hit right on the head the kind of conversations that most likely would have happened 'off camera', so to speak. Gohan and Videl serve as the one couple that actually seem like they'd reflect realistically on this stuff, and honestly ideas like these make the way he turned out at the end of the series kind of... okay, I guess?

So yeah. Well done, I really enjoyed reading this. DBZ fics often fall into numerous cliche traps and it's nice to see one that deals with canon aspects of the show in a classy, realistic way.
Kimiz chapter 1 . 8/31/2012
This was very endearing, I really liked it. These two are a piece of my childhood, and when I was a kid I liked them, but I never really bothered much, typical kid. But now, as a grown up, I feel the need to revisit some classics of my childhood and being a girl, of course the lack of explicit romance made me run to FF lol, And it was nice to see a soft side to these two, and an insecure side, the unglorious side of a hero, I had never given it thought but I get your point and I agree about Goku. That said, I'd just like to point a little something because I'm annoying, I think I saw you use 'effect' the noun instead of 'affect' the verb. Might've been a typo, I just thought I'd mention. :) Good job with this shot!
Cloud chapter 1 . 7/11/2012
holy shit 3
Darsca chapter 1 . 5/4/2012
Favourited, now for the review.. hmm. Time for me to think of something intelligent sounding rather than the usual drivel.

Something which has been bugging me all the while reading through it.. you say you could have done better? I think it's fantastic, I don't see what you're fretting about. My only teeny tiny issue is that a couple times Videl's abstract thoughts went on for maybe a little too long, losing sight of the moment at hand, to where I'd have to look further back in the story again to remind myself of where the conversation was currently at.. but that's a minuscule detail.

I like your portrayal of them as a married couple, and I say you hit the nail on the head with how their relationship would've (should've?) turned out. I really hardly ever read anything with them at this stage in the storyline, and it's very refreshing. Plus the subject matter at hand was, in my opinion, a huge deal. I went more and more off of Goku as I watched my way through the series, and this was a real biggy as to why. It's almost a complete disregard as to how others might feel by the choices he makes. Erm.. mini-rant aside..

I guess.. Videl seemed rather out of character for most of this but.. I'm so used to reading stuff on their teenage years that it was to be expected. Besides.. this takes place, what? Ten years after the end of the main DBZ storyline? It's a long time for a person to change, especially considering how radically her life shifted at the end of DBZ.. gives a lot of leeway, I suppose. Still, I liked it when a little bit of her old fire came out towards the end of the conversation.

Not much else to say, really, I don't think. Gohan/Videl is the only DBZ pairing I directly care to read, so I can't really put this up against other stuff you've done. But, if you happen to write something else on them in the future, I'll definitely be checking it out, cuz this was REALLY good. Anyways.. peace out.

great gospel chapter 1 . 3/7/2012
This was lovely. I could definitely see it happening. You have such a great grasp on the whole situation. And it's true: Everyone knows how powerful Goku is and how he's always saving the world, but not many stop and give credit to how strong his family has been all these years. I just loved every bit of this. The imagery and just the language/word-choice was amazing. Well done!

LiiMakino chapter 1 . 2/24/2012
Really, really sweet.

If I was Videl, I would wonder

these kinds of things too.

I feel bad for ChiChi especially; I don't

see why Goku can't settle down. Even Vegeta did!

Well, very well written, I miss this kind of interaction

between Gh-V. It is a story to warm anyone's heart. (:
meganechan720 chapter 1 . 2/13/2012
I appreciate this because I never saw Gohan as the type to ever be angry with his dad for leaving, even if he doesn't agree with it. Plus, I always love seeing Gohan and Videl being a mature, open couple that don't spend all their time screaming at each other, unlike the other couples in the series. This is very well written. Thank you.
KungFuTruffle chapter 1 . 1/20/2012
I really like your interpretation of the characters. Goku isn't a bad person, just kind of... off, I suppose. It's like his existence leans slightly to the left of everyone else.

Chi-Chi doesn't get enough credit, I think. So many people focus on her wanting Gohan to study or Goku to get a job, they don't stop to think about how hard she really had it. He husband constantly dies or takes off, her children are sent to the front lines of battle against monsters capable of destroying the universe, and she basically had to raise two super powered children by herself with little money.

The Gohan/Videl interaction was both sweet and believably painful. Fears of abandonment can affect anyone, after all.