Reviews for Upon A Starless Sea
chris-daae chapter 13 . 3/24/2017
This was very twisted, very messed, and I had some twisted and messed pleasure reading it. I think you portrayed both of them well, and you kept a good mystery. From the beginning it can be felt that there is something very wrong there, but having it in Raoul's POV make it hard to point what. I don't know how to explain it well but it was just so good. And Erik's reasoning. So perfect (for his character, not as real logic ofc). His way of speaking, the "monologues", it's all very ic. I really pity Raoul, now he really did lose everything, but the ending has something... not hopeful, but almost there. I feel like I can trust he is strong enough to not be destroyed after all of it. There's something both interesting and sad in having him be basically the only survivor of the only thing- the original story and this. Okay, I am ranting by now, I just want you to know that I really liked this twisted and messed story.
Convenient Alias chapter 13 . 1/31/2017
Erik is such a messed up bastard. But his hypnotizing Raoul is certainly an interesting plot element. A messed up but enjoyable story.
Morrigan24601 chapter 12 . 11/7/2016
Oh glob. When I mentioned stefanie bean's "The Man in the Boat" what I actually meant was "In Dreams He Came." It's late, I'm tired, and I mixed up two of her stories in my head. Whoopsies!

(Sorry to leave an extra review just to fix a silly mistake; it's a pity FFN won't let us edit these things.)
Morrigan24601 chapter 13 . 11/7/2016
I remember reading this story years ago under a different pen name; I was morbidly delighted to just now find it again. And yes, I think this is definitely one of the best E/R fics ever written; my other favorite is stefanie bean's "The Man in the Boat" although unlike this fic, that one doesn't involve any real-life action. I'm still stunned at how beautifully you pulled this off. Like you, I'm not a huge E/R fan simply because I don't feel the dynamic between them lends itself at all believably to romance or smut. But I do like stumbling across interesting takes on it, and oh my goodness, this fic! Not once did I ever feel as though the characters were going off the rails. Everything flowed so...naturally. You can palpably feel the very real danger a man like Erik would pose, given the right motivations and circumstance. His various preternatural talents mixed with a healthy dose of vengefulness gives this story just the right recipe for chilling success. It's not at all absurd to think of Erik being able to alter someone's reality and/or to disguise himself to the point of being nearly unrecognizable. It's terrifying in a much different way than physical danger, although there is an element of that too; it's terrifying because he can get in your head, and that's exactly what Raoul faces here. I could probably go on for ages about how artfully written this fic is (I love the language, the little details of the environment, the precision of the dialogue; all of it helped immerse me completely in the story). Wondering what's going on in Erik's head in this story is interesting as well. One gets the sense that aside from purely revenge, Erik is also fulfilling a sick sort of fantasy; by being with Raoul, he is, indirectly, being with Christine, at least in his mind, since Raoul was intimate with her while she was alive. It's...fascinating and twisted, really. And Raoul engages in this after a fashion as well, though not quite so overtly; at the beginning of the story, when he and Erik converse, he is inexorably drawn back to him despite his loathing for the man simply because, aside from himself, Erik is the only other person to have known Christine so well. Engaging each other in conversation and company is part of the grieving process for both men, although Erik takes it up to eleven as the story goes on; poor Raoul just wants to move on, and Erik wants the sick satisfaction of revenge. While I do like your original idea for the ending quite a bit (it fits in with the increasingly claustrophobic tone of the story as it evolves), I agree that it's highly unlikely that Raoul would remain stranded at sea for long, given his knowledge and skills. Also, I have a little bit of a soft spot for Raoul at the best of times, especially as he's characterized here, so I'm actually glad he made it out alive.

At any rate, that's my novel of a review; I do so enjoy your stories ("Sherry" is a perennial favorite). Cheers!
Riene chapter 13 . 4/5/2016
Interesting. I avoided this one for quite a while, as I don't do slash, but...you're a good writer and my own phic is stuck at this annoying part and I figured you weren't going to have them OOC and it's late and...oh whatever. I had to check it out.

I think you ended it realistically, and yes, although I'm not seeing Erik ever being able to force himself into any kind of intimacy, the way you handled it was believable. I can definitely see him laying such an elaborate plot for revenge.

Well done as always, bravo.
Serpina Silver Tongue chapter 13 . 9/14/2015
Congratulations, you've produced a well written and reasonably IC slash fic. I don't like this pairing, and this fic hasn't changed my mind about that, but I had to read it based on your "challenge accepted" sort of summary. A slashfic by a nonslashific writer. I enjoyed the suspense built up over the first several chapters, wondering what Erik had up his sleeve. And you managed to surprise me with the ending. Definitely the best slashfic I've read as far as motives that almost work goes. Now back to my E/C world. :)
Ilmyan chapter 1 . 3/24/2014
I decided to skip this story because I found your Author's Notes pretty insulting.
Igenlode Wordsmith chapter 13 . 10/25/2013
I don't read slash. I don't even read M-rated fics, except by accident when they appear on people's recommendations and I don't see the rating... but I read this one in full foreknowledge via your assurance that it was *in character* (and made the conscious decision to come back to it despite being interrupted at chapter 4).

And I went on reading it - with the exception of the obvious bit, which I have to admit I skipped over as quickly as possible - because you did such a marvellous job on Raoul, from the first chapter onwards. (And, poor boy, he was actually happy for a while there: Erik had no intention of doing him a mercy in making him forget Christine, but effectively he achieved just that.)

Plus an evocative reminder of my time helping to run a tubby little steamboat: nothing as seaworthy or elegant as this (and I wasn't let loose on the dangers of the engine, but kept strictly to my own area of expertise in steering craft that can glide to a halt but not reverse!), but it's an odd companionship between engineman and helmsman, held together and yet apart by the length of the boat and the need for teamwork...
Sarlyne chapter 2 . 4/6/2013
Oh, wow, I only finished chapter two and this story is already so bloody brilliant! *O* If it carries on like this, it is definitely one of the best POTO fanfics (although I have by no means read "all"), and I'm also very sure it will be my favourite E/R one; I have read others yet, but as you said in your note at the beginning, too many are OOC and ignore Christine's role. Your story reads wonderful in character and you also write really well.
Anon chapter 13 . 2/21/2012
Hey there! You are a terrific writer, This fic was fantastic, I fell madly in love with the way you wrote Erik and Raoul together. They were very believable, Raoul alone with nothing left to loose and Erik would so obviously be torn apart by Christine's death he would feel the same. I do wish you had written a little more on the appearance of Erik As Dubeau, since I had a difficult time visualizing him. I also have a difficult time imaging Erik being so comfortable in a pub full of people after being hidden so long, disguise or not. I adored your ending even though Erik taking sexual advantage of Raoul like that made me want to shout at my computer, it was very well done!

So your an Erik/Christine shipper? That would explain why I've never come across your stories before since I'm strictly Erik/Raoul.

I can't help but find Christine rather dull, the beautiful damsel in distress. I feel as if Erik would need someone made of tougher stuff then Christine, that could handle his mood swings and understand his demons. I have no doubt he would be rather rough at times and for any true love to bloom he would need someone who could give him a sound smack back.

Anyway brilliant fic!
Ravengirl1011 chapter 9 . 9/3/2011
Hi. Really love this story.

I was wondering if you could write the scene we don't get to see here, and what Erik does to Raoul after he remembers. Please PM with what you think.

This is definetely going on my favourites!
Dipilidopa chapter 13 . 8/11/2011
I have no idea why you don't have many more reviews, and I almost didn't read it because of it.

I am glad i did read it. Your fic is wonderful! Interesting, original and Raoul killed him at the end! Don't get me wrong, Erik is fascinating, but in most fics after something like that the two of them would have fallen in love (which always pisses me off).

Aaand I love it that you putted this end, I don't like sad endings, and wile it wasn't happy, it was a very good fanfic for this story.

p.s

Your summary is doing your fic disservice. Especially the part where you wrote "Is it possible to write realistic E/R slash?".

Sorry, but I cant think of any better idea for summary...
Daichu chapter 13 . 8/2/2011
Whenever I read a fic like this, I always feel like I need to thank the author for writing it, especially in a fandom where there's so much... well, you know. So thank you, I really enjoyed reading this fic. It was absorbing, funny, the characters were believable, andit was so well written. Just marvelous.
AlteraPars87 chapter 13 . 7/25/2011
For a moment I thought youre going to kill Raoul too, but you were right, he was a sailor and Mediterranian is called like that for a reason.

As far as questioning Eriks ability of commiting a rape: "But then, rape isn't about intimacy, is it? It's about power and control" And more: humiliation and breaking one down. What ever people may think, I believe that Leroux Erik would be very capable of doing it. Especially in his episodes of utter madness.

I loved this, it has been two weeks of constant expecting for the next chapter (especially these past few ones)
Kandakicksass chapter 12 . 7/24/2011
Niiiiice. Very nice(: I greatly enjoy this... besides which, we need more fanfiction for this pairing. Badly. It's pathetic, how little there is.