Reviews for If I Could Cure Myself
Laura Schiller chapter 6 . 4/5/2012
Whoa! Talk about a Freudian slip. Please continue; I want to know how she talks her way out of this one, since from reading the book we already know that she got a top score.

By the way, the Officials' pompous tone is spot-on. Also, I can totally picture a young Hana playing with a puppy.
hamaiasa chapter 5 . 3/16/2012
WOW! I really love this chapter, and I think that Hana's words truly come to life in this fic. Great job!
Laura Schiller chapter 5 . 3/15/2012
Hey, welcome back! Nice chapter. Lena as seen through Hana's eyes is adorable, and I like the way you reconcile Hana's inner conflict with her outer appearance of confidence; very much like the book.
clouds of nothing chapter 4 . 10/14/2011
I actually got the idea that Hana might have been gay while reading the book myself, so I was thrilled to discover this fanfiction!

Hana is perfectly in-character here. I love her flippant tone, and I think the part about her burning the pages on Unnaturalism in The Book of Shhh so that she could try to burn it out of herself fit perfectly with the desperation she showed in the book. I can't wait to see her line about happiness in here.

This is a great story so far!
Laura Schiller chapter 4 . 9/6/2011
I like the difference you made between how Lena sees Hana's first appearance in the book (gorgeous, charismatic) and how Hana sees herself ("yelling and waving like a fool"). A realistic touch of teen insecurity.
hamaiasa chapter 3 . 8/14/2011
I love this fic :) Hana is so in-character! Looking forward to next update!
Laura Schiller chapter 3 . 7/24/2011
I think they do still keep pets in this world. Lena's neighbors had a dog that was shot by the regulators. And I can't quite picture a "cured" person screaming - if they got mad, it would be in a cold, quiet way, like Carol.

I like your characterisation of Hana's father - the cure being "a waste of time and resources" for him is an interesting idea. And trust people like that to try to separate Hana from Lena - in that light, it's very brave of her to still keep in contact.

Looking forward to your take on Hana's first scene with Lena - "you can't be happy unless you're unhappy sometimes". One of Ms. Oliver's greatest lines.
Laura Schiller chapter 2 . 7/21/2011
I had a hunch that Hana's home life couldn't be as perfect as Lena thought. Her mother seems very authentic, pushing her to behave like a model citizen; like Carol does to Lena, but differently. And Hana's flippant rattling-off of the answers is perfectly in character as well.

Are you going to write a sex scene later on? Because if not, you might want to rate the story down to T. It would be easier for readers to access.
Laura Schiller chapter 1 . 7/17/2011
I sort of suspected this too when I read the book. Please continue: Is Hana attracted to Lena? How would that affect her friendship with Alex? How does she feel after Alex's death (if he is dead) and Lena's disappearance?

Oh, and they actually have a label for gays and lesbians in this society: Unnaturals. It's in the book.