Reviews for Comparative Study
Frog's princess chapter 1 . 7/26
You've done my head in.

Not really, more opened it up to extra thoughts. Ouch (!).

Maybe it's because the Americans have a wider spread of people from all the continents, whether brought there through slavery, immigration, the lure of gold/freedom/space or anything else. Maybe it's because the Europeans, the British in particular, have a longer history on their lands and have developed subconscious rules for themselves.

Are there any famous indigenous American sorcerors/wizards/magic users as in this context?
10th Squad 3rd Seat chapter 1 . 1/15
Wow, to actually put the questions out there...Brilliant!
Lola chapter 1 . 11/24/2013
This is amazing! I really hope there's a sequel.
Flutterbytink chapter 1 . 8/11/2013
Ooooh. I think it would be great to finish this with an American Harry.
Valokiloren chapter 1 . 5/30/2013
I like the idea, but the trouble with this is that it is definitely very different magic which people don't seem to understand wouldn't be able to coexist in the same universe under their individual rules without overlapping ridiculously, and therefore disallowing them to coexist as suggested.

The trouble with the HP universe in terms of spell-casting is because its based around the ideal of the magical staff, a centrepiece for magic in Europe and specifically in the legends of Arthur, from which Merlin appears. Merlin obviously is considered the cultural icon of magic in Britain, therefore anything related to him would no doubt be included in British works. The wand is merely a more compact staff, and has been considered thus for centuries in mythology.

Meanwhile, I'd posit that the idea of western spellcasting without an instrument or tool is due to the cultural spread of Wicca and other magical religions since the 60s, which is something much more popular in the States than in Britain. Specifically, Charmed has a definite basis in Wicca, though it has also been criticised by people who call themselves Traditional Wicca, similar to how there are Protestant and Catholic Christians. The differences between Asian cultures and European cultures for magic is again based in religious viewpoints and mythology, but as I do not have much if any knowledge in their legends, I won't offend them by not doing them justice.

With Mary Poppins, it's fairly obvious that she couldn't exist outside of a fictional setting, simply because her characterisation includes the following: "She is practically perfect in every way." This implies she is the absolute perfect state for humanity, and thus she would the subject of vast amounts of envy and hate because such a person cannot exist, by and large.

Onto the second-last point: If Harry Potter was American rather than British, he'd still use a wand. The simple fact is that the HP universe says that wandless magic is incredibly complicated and difficult. We know this from simple facts, such as the fact that a powerful wizard such as Voldemort, someone who knows that wandless magic is possible, still uses a wand.

If it could be considered such a huge weakness as fanfiction authors make it out to be, why would a genius like Tom Riddle Jr. use one? The only obvious answer, if we ignore that JKR never really considered that it would be questioned, is that wand magic is much more powerful than that of wandless magic. You cannot argue that Voldemort was a genius in school, because he is described as practically the perfect student - intelligent, charming and apparently able to hide his distastes from everyone who he chose to. Therefore - it is obviously infinitesimally easier to get results of a similar magnitude with a wand.

Plus, this ideal that America would make a much better setting than Britain doesn't seem very well thought-out. In Britain, it is still quite possible, though rarer now, to find a boarding school for the gifted or the problematic for children the age of the students in HP. America is much more about the high school, which while being the subject of every other children's TV show, doesn't truly mix with this idea.

Besides, for all the mocking of the traditional ways of the Wizarding world, it would make sense to consider that perhaps the long-standing ways of said world would have more knowledge than the American equivalent. In fact, the idea that Muggleborn would be better off in America is very amusing - America is a country which is very right-wing. The Muggleborn equation, from what I understand of it, would actually be something much more socialist and left-wing. Why should the aristocratic Purebloods, whose families may or may not have had to work extremely hard to make said money, allow some uncultured philistines to gain a foothold in the Purebloods society? Muggleborn who do not appear to appreciate the cultural values of the Purebloods and damn them for wishing to remain Traditional in that sense. To me, undercutting the rich and pushing up the ignorant is very socialist, something more likely in the UK than the US.

Finally, who says Hermione Granger is the most intelligent witch of her generation, and therefore the first person to notice a difference? This is how I interpreted that question - because why specifically Hermione if not for that.
As far as we are aware, Sirius is the only one to really make the point, but he says that he's ever met. Because an escaped criminal has blatantly had the opportunity to meet every witch of that generation in every country in the course of... what, a year tops? Other than that, only the lead characters appear to agree with this notion, but I'd argue that the most intelligent females of Hermione's generation who could be considered main characters are either Tonks or Fleur. Tonks is an Auror, which is made clear to the reader to be a highly sort-after career and needing an extremely good education to achieve. Meanwhile, Fleur works part-time at Gringotts. She has managed to achieve a job in what is apparently a very Goblin-dominated firm or company, the year after she has graduated. At most, she would be 18, according to the HP wikipedia. The only reasons to say Hermione is the most intelligent is either because a) she's the main female character and therefore the only one we really explore or b) because someone thinks that Emma Watson was the best actress. Hardly good reasons to consider her the most intelligent.

Obviously - I know that this is a reply to what is essentially an essay opener from two years ago, and therefore you may not have necessarily completed the chains of thought on it. It is highly possible that if you had completed this, you'd have explanations on how things interlink. I also realise that this may not be your opinion now. I just wished to make a comprehensive point on my thoughts and reasoning on why it shouldn't necessarily work out.
Thaliran chapter 1 . 5/3/2013
You should make more of this, or post it as a story idea for other to takke up, it could be briliant
Crystal M. Key chapter 1 . 2/14/2013
This concept is *fascinating*. Thanks for twisting my brain!
mist shadow chapter 1 . 11/11/2012
*wince* don't even go there. Hermione, for all her brilliance, is the daughter of her environment, and whether we want to acknowledge it or not, she became as bigoted as everyone in that school.
though, maybe this study would teach her a few things. unless, like in her SPEW effort, she will ignore all the facts contrary to what she thinks should be there
bogus1 chapter 1 . 1/5/2012
It's because the British are a broken Empire whose inhabitants are desperately trying to live in the 18th century. Whereas the USA is a broken Empire whose inhabitants are desperately trying to live in the 20th century. As proof, notice how there is no fiber to the home connections in American media, no ultrabroadband, no AI, no high speed rails, and no rising China.
tarnished silver things chapter 1 . 11/22/2011
This sounds . . . BRILLIANT. Are you writing more? I hope you're writing more, because this is fact, I'm checking your profile right now to see if you have - thank you so much for posting this, because sudenly now my brain is going through it all like wilfireand it is AWESOME.

I think I may just love you. : )

- M
Sony Boy chapter 1 . 10/3/2011
"...Harry Potter was American instead of British? And two: what if Hermione Granger noticed the difference and wrote a comparative study?"

That would be epic.
LunaStorm chapter 1 . 8/28/2011
The backward bunch of bigots that are, for some not entirely understandable reason, in charge of Wizarding Britain would read it, and panic, and put into motion a seires of over-the-top measures to ban it, discredit its oh-so-dangerous ideas and silence the poor girl, of course.

Upon which she'd go muggle to ensure its diffusion, on a matter of principle, and find that her clear and detailed writing style is appreciated by more than one magazine for/about occultism and magical practice and that her essay is quickly gaining notice.

Not long afterwards the backward bunch of bigots would find themselves puzzling and complaining over the most recent Hogwarts enrollment charts and the inexplicable lack of muggleborns in it, though none of them would even be smart enough to compare the data with the sudden increase of emigration towards the U.S.A. on the part od said muggleborns' families...

...

And of course, Hermione would somehow end up transferring precisely to the high school Harry is attending in some godforsaken little town somewhere in the States (seeing as he's American, after all, and clearly studying magic on his spare time while dealing with cheergirls and science projects at the same time) and they'd become fast friends. Probably bonding over facing a demon who likes to wreck school lockers. Because, you know. Fate is like that.