Reviews for Three Families
Galm chapter 61 . 3/30/2016
Not many people can get me to read 1.2 million words and wish it wasn't over. 10/10. The whole concept was just a great idea!
Garibaldi the Black chapter 29 . 2/21/2016
On your notes for this chapter: Does that make Old'Zula the Bride? Does she get a Hattori Hanzo sword?
Nikolai22 chapter 1 . 10/17/2015
Too much feminism and too many plot points that do not add, yet seem to tack away from characters...the free spirit Agni is not femal...and the greatest Firebender is (arguably) Iroh. Did I mention you have a lot of plot points that take away from characters? That's kinda important...I bow to your vigilance and patience...this is a long ass story
Freefan1412 chapter 5 . 9/21/2015
Azula attacks Toph. And on her birthday of all things. I'm guessing that Azula was trying to eliminate the Avatar's earthbending master before she could become a teacher. The funny thing about that is that the assassination attempt was probably the best birthday present anyone has ever given Toph.
Freefan1412 chapter 3 . 9/16/2015
It's utterly amazing how you do the Avatar's voice. It only 'says' so very few things but they have some serious impact and meaning. It's impressive and really has a different feel to it. In general I really like the twist that Aang didn't know about being the Avatar and that for all that he had to find out like that. Also, the details. And the depth. You make this a real world, with culture and history and landscaps that were named and stuff. It's a special kind of story just for that. :)
Kaoupa chapter 61 . 7/18/2015
Awesome story! Really a shame that more people don't like it...
Disgruntled chapter 1 . 7/11/2015
There's a bit too much "grrrrl power!" in this for my taste. Who's the best firebender in the world? Azula, a girl. Who's the best waterbender in the world? Katara, a girl. Who's the best earthbender in the world? Toph, a girl. Who's the best airbender in the world? Malu, a girl. Who's the best general in the world? Sativa, a woman. Who's the most powerful spirit in existence? Agni, apparently a woman. Who's the leader of a militaristic nomad pseudo-Mongol force? A woman. The leader of Kyoshi Island? A woman. The apparently scientifically smartest (even moreso than Sokka)? Nila, a girl. "Sexism" is also mentioned far too much, with all the self-righteous and condescending dismissal of other cultures that is the hallmark of political-religiousness. Then there's the classic "Men are dumb and need women to keep them in line" trope which is only true in fiction. Not only is it tiresome, but it's also narratively unnecessary. The belief and culture palette for the characters is quite lacking, I think.

I apologize for that rant, but I just needed to get that off my chest. It's a great story, but I think the "Look! Look! Girls can do things too!" aspect needs to be toned down quite a bit.

I also need to say that your Long Feng isn't very... sinister. In fact he's not really that strongly motivated at all, or even that cunning. Overall, he seems to come across as very bland and lack-luster as a villain. Sorry. Him being gay, or at least entertaining a gay lover, also doesn't make much sense. If there was anyone remotely intelligent out for power in that city, they'd have surely used that to leverage someone like Long Feng by now.

Have to say, though, that I'm really enjoying the rest of the story, although I'm a bit disappointed in how Azula turned out. Having previous lifetimes and that almost seems like a deus ex machina, and I think it detracts from her character rather than adding to it. Having an all-knowing (or near-all-knowing) spirit running around trying to fix things and generally playing around with the world also doesn't really help. I was rather hoping for a more... substantial romantic development between Azula and Aang, but you've done it pretty well, I think. I absolutely must commend you on the volume of writing though. That's just Grade A fantastic, and it's made me green with envy.
Synchronized chapter 44 . 7/1/2015
Wow. I like Nila and Sokka as a couple more than I thought I would. And no, how could this be? How the heck did I start enjoying scenes with Irukandji!? What dark magic did you pull?

Well. Also Azula. I have to say, I am enjoying having her in one piece.
Synchronized chapter 38 . 7/1/2015
I have to admit, the Children are growing on me. I hated them at first, but now I'm beginning to actually like them. Poor Yoji.

Sativa on the other hand... still dislike her. I don't hate her, and she's an excellent character, but I dislike her. I think that is the impression you were going for.

I hope things get better for Malu.

But again, Nila... she had no right to say the things she did to Aang. Aang lost his people too, after all.
Synchronized chapter 34 . 6/30/2015
"The problem is I don't know where he is," Arnook pointed out.
I'm sure that Arnook wasn't supposed to be here. Other than that, good chapter!
Synchronized chapter 24 . 6/29/2015
Wow, that history makes sense. Probably just seems weird to me because I watched the canon history of bending.
Synchronized chapter 23 . 6/29/2015
This chapter was flawless. 'Nuff said.
Synchronized chapter 20 . 6/29/2015
NOOOO! Not Patriarch! He was my favorite character! Urgh.

Although having Irukanjdji be essentially behind everything was a bit of a let-down. Kinda like if the Joker was in charge of the Illuminati. I was expecting something... a bit more. Not literally the most annoying OC ever created (while still retaining believability) being practically God.

And it was energy-bending. Not Soulbending.

Yikes. Now we have Azula crazier than ever, Zhao quickly turning into the big bad of the series, and some Eldritch Abomination who seems to be copied off a spider from African folklore running around being generally unpleasant. What beats emptiness though? Practically everything, since one something is full it is no longer empty.

This is way, way worse than the series. In a good way, if you know what I mean.
Synchronized chapter 17 . 6/29/2015
Well, I think this was the best chapter yet. I laughed so hard at the kiss, simply because it was so unexpected, but also so true to form. And the other's reactions were perfect. I liked your OC's better than the canon characters for this chapter.
Synchronised chapter 16 . 6/29/2015
Well, I've lurked long enough. This story is great so far, and I hope it stays that way through the long, long way I have to go.
I read your other stories, the 'Children of the War' series, and they were good, although frankly Azula's redemption story rubbed me the wrong way. Now I;m all for finding new uses for bending, but having one person, even if they are prodigies, invent so many new techniques in such a short time strikes me as unbelievable. Bending has been around for a long time, and if someone must have had those ideas before. Hama took months to master bloodbending, and she could only use it on a full moon.

Sorry for that. I just always feel the need to rationalise my position. Anyway, I hope this story stays at the pinnacle of quality that it is. Honestly, the amount of detail and love poured into this is staggering.

If you wanna talk, PM Synchronized Harmony