Reviews for Obsession
Graymalkyn chapter 1 . 1/14/2014
Fun fact: one of the few lines that I remember from Fenris is "I need you, Hawke" - the only time I paid attention to it was with my M!Hawke (mage). Nice insight, though the string of questions makes him sound a little paranoid at times. Oh wait. It's Fenris. Paranoid sounds just fine. :)
gingergen chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
Hurrah. I like this interpretation of Fenris, where all his emotions are converted to anger. So much more true, somehow, than emo!Fenris that you see more often.

Freedom is hard, especially when you're used to having every action dictated to you - it's Fenris' tragedy that in the end he can't hack it without putting himself under Hawke's control. I think it's especially sad when Hawke is a mage.
BetaReject chapter 1 . 8/25/2011
I do love his internal struggle here. He's lost to a past he cannot change, but unlik Ander he cannot move on. I can't help but wonder if Anders would have wound up this way if it weren't for teh hell he had endured in solitary.

Although I do like how you do show him shifting changing and maturing over the years. Even if he has to be kicking and screaming all the way into maturity. I like how subtle it is though how he reflects on the past, tries to find a connection but there is none to be found. How he's forced to look within himself to find the answers he's been avoiding all that time.

I loved too how he finds taht connection to Hawke through Hadriana's death. While he tries to deny it he's also forced to face the truth that they aren't so different. The anger he once was so dependant on has faded. How in that instant even his lies no longer holds weight. She is the catalyst and he is finally forced to face the facts.

I liked too how the realisation came too late. She's the one whose gotten away. He tries to tell himself that its Anders fault that mages only stick to themselves. He's so close to the mark and yet he completely misses the point. It reminds me of that line Anders tell him when they're discussing the matter of being on the run. They're really not so different. Only Anders learned to move ahead to grow whereas Fenris is not there yet.

However I do love how it ends with him learning to move on. He's still in denial, he's still convinced he's a slave but this time he's starting to understand why and the fact she's the key to him letting go.

I sort of get this feeling that he's almost (metaphorically) closing his eyes about to take the first step into the future but he scared and knows she's the only one who will hold his hand and give him that courage he needs...