Reviews for The Pub Series ~ Story 2 ~ Illusions
Aria Breuer chapter 1 . 4/3/2013
This is a good story.

I may not know much about ponies, or horses in general, but I am an animal lover. So, I can understand Merry and Pippin, at least when it comes to putting animals down (always sad). I'm glad Merry brought up Frodo and how that relates to his story with Keeda, the pony.

-Aria Breuer
cher chapter 1 . 3/7/2005
What a beautiful little story. I can see book Merry in this. The bit about Frod at the end nearly did me in.
stumbleine chapter 1 . 2/24/2003
Damn. Seems that Silvermoonlight made it before me, and said the thing I wanted to say. Nevermind, I'll repeat her last point:

"I miss my cousin. He was my best friend. He gave himself so that I can sit here in this pub and drink this ale and think about good times past and hope for good times to come."

(oh no. I'm going to cry. again.)

Bravo, Rachel. Three little sentences, and you manage to move me more than dozens of other authors with their endless adjectivs. That quote says all that needs to be said, about Frodo and what he did, about the Shire, and finally, about how Merry feels after Frodo's departure. Bravo.

(Oh, and there was also the *rest* of the story.;) Well, i'll just say that your Merry was once again superb.)
Firiel chapter 1 . 1/18/2003
Very sweet. I like the idea of Merry sitting and thinking about Frodo. One confusing thing was the sentence, "This coming from a lad who thought a fellow Knight of Rohan..." This is confusing because it sounds as if you mean Pippin is a Knight of Rohan, which he's not. I assume you wrote it this way because these are Merry's thoughts, and Merry is a Knight (technically, a Rider) of Rohan. I like the way you write - I read this story after reading the fourth story in the "Pub Series" and thinking it was funny.
Firiel chapter 1 . 1/18/2003
Sokorra Lewis chapter 1 . 10/8/2002
that was good. *sniff* really good and sad. Poor Merry. I would miss Pippin too. *goes off to cry a little*
Sally Gardens chapter 1 . 8/4/2002
Oh, god. This is heartbreaking. I love Merry (that is, real-Merry, book-Merry) and his depth of dedication and friendship to Frodo. If Frodo had given him advance warning, I have no doubt that Merry would have tried to talk him into giving life another try: "We are your friends, Frodo, and we will stick with you through thick and thin..." Thanks for giving us a glimpse of the mature, reflective side of Merry.
Tathar chapter 1 . 6/8/2002
Oh my gosh, that was...*tries in vain to come up with a suitable word* amazing! Being a horse-lover myself, I completely understand Pippin sobbing uncontrollably when he thought that a horse was going to be intentionally killed (I'd certainly do it myself!)

But the best part of this story is the characterization, I think. You describe Merry perfectly, as well as Pippin, and those last three paragraphs had me in tears. Well done!
MelodySongSinger chapter 1 . 5/4/2002
wow, I really love all fo your storys, you seem to know exactly where the chacter was and when he was there, what he was feeling. thats what makes them so lovely, they're confident.

p.s thanks for the lovely review, you have concrete cows too? they're invading!
The Argument Fairy chapter 1 . 4/29/2002
Oh that was beautiful. You've capturd his voice so well and the relationships and all. I'm also v. glad you said it was Merry in the summary, because I may never have read it otherwise. Well done, this was utterly amazing.
P.N.Batgirl chapter 1 . 4/23/2002
Oh my god... that was absolutely stunning. Incredible. One of the most touching pieces Ive read in a long time. Go you!
Silvermoonlight1 chapter 1 . 4/16/2002
Hello dear Rach,

Words fail me regarding this story. Or rather, words that are not cliched and phrases that are not over-used fail to come into my mind at the moment.

I have long admired your posts and your words and messages and your ability to seem as wise as Gandalf and as down-to-earth as Sam.

Class Distinction is a marvelous story of such light, quintessential tones and rhythms, perfectly capturing hobbit spirit. A delightful prequel to The Lord of the Rings and a darn good idea to set it after The Hobbit.

But this story...

I'm sorry I missed it the first time. I am not crying right now, but that is not due to your story, but due to the fact that all my tears are spent. If I could cry, I would be right now. Like I said, words fail me.

I have long admired Merry and regretted his portrayal in the movie, being one of the weaker characters when otherwise he was so pivotal in the books. I welcome any and all stories that concern him. For we know much about Frodo's character, being that he is both hero and protagonist of LOTR, and we know much of Sam from the Emyn Muil and beyond and Pippin is the young, darling misfit. But Merry...Merry has always been stuck in between, easily forgotten and easily stereotyped.

If my guess is correct, your story takes place after The Grey Havens. Marvelous. I am both afraid and curious to read fanfics regarding the characters after The Grey Havens, being afraid because I will most likely cry like a baby. But your story...Ah...Your story. Touching and emotional without seeming contrived. Heartbreakingly honest. Earnest and thoughtful and provocative and poignant.

"I miss my cousin".

Such a simple sentence and yet my heart hurt terribly when I read this. Just this one sentence. There is something so achingly beautiful about it, naked in its honesty. Merry misses his cousin. He doesn't sugarcoat it, nor pretend bravery. He wishes Pippin was here. He misses Pippin. Oh dear, perhaps I do hve some tears left to shed...
Starleaf chapter 1 . 4/16/2002
Ah Rach...I'm such a Middle Earth mess these days. Everything, but everything makes me cry. The last three paragraphs of this story has me snuffling and reaching for tissues! It took me to the second paragraph to realize you were talking as Meriadoc! I thought this was a story about YOU. Duh Duh Duh. I miss cousin Frodo, too - even tho I will be able to see and read his story for the rest of my life.

Does PJ have ANY idea of the gift he has given all of us? I liked your first story better, but this - this goes straight to the heart!

Star (my real name is Vicki)
Maggie Moore chapter 1 . 4/16/2002
Very good. Had you not said that the story was about Meridoc in your summary, i wouldn't have been able to tell until the last paragraph. for awhile I almost thought you were talking about Sam! but this was very well writen, alot of feeling was put into this, and it shows elegantly.

"You don’t mess around with animals bigger than you." ~that was cute; very good advice well taken and shown.

Anyway, a very 'deep' fic you have here, I'd like to see you writing maybe on Sam and Frodo's friendship. Since you handled this so well, I'm sure something like that would be just right for you. I'll look forward to reading more of your work! (Oh and thx for reviewing my fic, I really appreciated all the fine points you made and that you were paying such close attention! THX! _)
Nilramiel chapter 1 . 4/16/2002
Oh, Rach!

This story made me cry! Right here at my desk at work. That last paragraph is simply heartbreaking.

I think you have Merry's "voice" down to a T. You write his POV so well.

Please write more!