Reviews for A Baroque Yarn
meterion chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
I absolutely LOVE this story. The difference in cultures does seem to make Anne a tad more... reasonable? It took me a bit to catch on to Esteban, but definitely a great oneshot, nice Pride and Prejudice feel to it.

One thing: around 3/4ths the way through, you slip up with Roan's name. Just thought I'd point that out!
kittle-uk chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
I really enjoyed this story. You managed to weave the characters into the new setting exceedingly well.

I also thought it would be worth noting that at least one of your readers has actually read Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, and therefor recognises this setting to be more in the era of late 17th or early 18th centuries, rather than the later Regency or Victorian era setting that some reviewers seem to have assumed this had.

I'd love to see some more in this setting but if it's not to be then I'll just sit back and wait for your next work. The only thing you've ever written that I didn't thoroughly enjoy was the ending of 'Later'. And only the ending, mind you. I was upset to see you'd pulled that from the site. I wanted to go back and reread and reassess it to see if my opnion changed. Oh well.

Thanks again for all the great stories.
Jekiam chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
Awesome! We need more rapiers, feathered hats, the metal ringing of our scabbard bouncing off our bucklers!

Maybe some gangrene too, hmm.
Anmynous chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
It's like all the victorian setting stories I've seen, except not boring and crap! I don't know why they all seemed so uninspired, but you did a great job with the, ah, porting.
struckdown chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
This was gddamn hysterical. I laughed for a good five minutes. Bravo!
tuatara chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
This is so many different kinds of awesome that I can't even tally them all. You nailed damn near everything here. Just phenomenal. You stayed true both to the tone of Ranma and 18th-century sentimental novels a la Austen. Stellar work, and a true shame that there isn't more.

There was only one glaringly dissonant moment, made all the prominent by its uniqueness. Loaded or no, pointing a gun at your betrothed's head is *exceedingly* poor form. That's the kind of thing that would sever all ties between households. Still would today, usually.

Other than that? Well, some of your names (or at least surnames) leave something to be desired. The list of Roan's achievements would basically be impossible for someone his age in the early 1700s (or now, for that matter). "Esteban"'s English is a tad inconsistent. I'd say that's about all.

Other than those few things? Stunningly good. Anne displays the wonderful British mix of consternation, resignation and understatement. "That is not discretion," indeed.

Nabiki is wonderfully misanthropic. "Worst case scenario they both die, and then at least something interesting happened." Love it. Looove it. Chantille? Hilarious. Estella? Well, not enough of her to form much of an opinion, really.

Oh yeah, that was the one other thing that didn't totally work for me. Estella honestly has no legitimate claim here. Given that he didn't even know she was a she and in no way intended to propose, on top of the existing engagement of Roan and Anne...nope. Nothin' doin'. Moreover, they would have to be aware that marrying both girls would be intolerable in the eyes of both the Anglican and Catholic Church.

So if this were extended...that whole thread would be problematic. On the other hand, I loved the simplicity of their "solution," realistic or otherwise, and the fact that Roan's opinion was thoroughly ignored by everyone.

(Oh, and it strains credulity a tad that Rupert and Estella would find Roan at the same time. But that's fiction for ya,

so it's all good)

Plus, you managed to get Gosunkugi in there! Nice. I know I've catalogued a handful of piddling complaints, but that's only because the list of joys to be found in this story is so damned long. This is one of the most entertaining things I've read in a while, fanfiction or otherwise. Good show. You should be proud of writing something so ridiculously fun. Kudos to you! Thanks for sharing this.
TikiTDO chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
Utterly fresh, original and unexpected. I seldom anticipate anything radically different from the Ranma fandom these days, but you have managed to deliver just that. The plot was just the right mix of cannon and originality, and the characters worked perfectly within the setting. I am stunned at how well you managed to translate the core personalities, especially given the liberties you had to take to make the action believable. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen an author successfully pull off such utterly diametric changes.

I did notice that you tried a bit too hard to interject British jargon into the characters' speech, but were somewhat inconsistent. I think you may have been better off sticking completely to American English, as the results were a bit jarring. Also, I think the story could have been a bit longer, maybe with a few more scenes illustrating the daily interactions among the characters in between the key scenes, and at the end of the story. You could have probably worked in some utterly hilarious moral had you got a tiny bit further.

In all, I would not be too surprised if this starts a new trend in the category. I am positive that there will be at least a few imitators.
Essex chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
Ranma done is Jane Austen style. Very funny. You did make one mistake when you typed the line: "Honorable fellow," Ranma said with a sigh.
Mkire chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
it is indeed amusing. Please, Please write more of it?
Rose1948 chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
::snickergigglefits:: Awesomesauce! Thanks for sharing!
aevan chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
*amused* First thought you were going with some Anne of Green Gables fusion (the name Anne, a garden, etc)... but where you went instead...

...almost think Ranma would prefer being malleted. Almost. The name switches refused to parse at first, but became so obvious after...so that failing would be on my part. The personality conversions though seemed perfect.

"This is not discretion" is so much better than 'You pervert!' D
GeshronTyler chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
Yes, yes, that was quite amusing. _ I was wondering if you'd recently been reading/watching some Jane Austen. The Victorian Millieu certainly puts a different twist on the whole fiancee/mistress thing. This would fit in well with something like the "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", or "Wild, Wild, Wild, West", with "Roan" and co. working for the Crown (or two of them, Spanish and British) as agents. You could have kept the Chinese connection, I believe the Far East was fairly popular in the epoch, and this would have been the height of all the european colonial shenanigans in China. During the wars against Napoleon would be an interesting backdrop as well.

I think I'm quite glad you didn't include Happosai's expy, I shudder to think what any female servants in the household would have had to suffer. Or what "female companionship" he might have burdened the House with. _

Thanks, read you next time.
chairos chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
Despite the source material, I must say I wasn't expecting Esteban to show up. If Macho Caballo can do what it does with what it has to hand, I see no reason this couldn't continue in a satisfactory way.
Wonderbee31 chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
Mildly amusing is an understatement, I had to bite my lip when you had "Chantile" speak, as the voice that came to my mind was Daisy Mae from the Beverly Hillbillies LOL, and then the voice of Ukyo was a certain person from Fawlty Towers. Really enjoyed this twis t on the tale of Ranma here, and hope we might see some more from you soon.
Dr Facer chapter 1 . 7/20/2011
It's well written and narrated but it has to do with Ranma how? Ranma shows up *once* and then we go back so it all is about your original characters.

This feels mostly like an original story, something you should post on fictionpress and not here.
30 | « Prev Page 1 2