Reviews for A Heart of Gold
rosanda chapter 16 . 5/18/2014
I REALLY ENJOYED READING THIS I HOPE YOU PLAN TO KEEP WORKING ON IT SOME TIME. I like the storyline and am interested to know what happens next!
vonnie836 chapter 16 . 5/3/2013
Sorry I haven't reviewed in a while. Actually, I just read the last 3 chapters, life's been crazy around here. I still love this story and will continue to follow it, even if it means I might have to wait a bit to be able to catch up. Certainly a lot has happened in those chapters. I really like Billy's mom and I wonder what is going to happen with him and Olivia. I know chances that they are actually getting back together and it working out would be slim to none. Guess I will have to wait and see. As for the rest of the story, you are certainly heating up things. Wonder what is going to happen next. Hugs, Vonnie
Faye Dartmouth chapter 16 . 5/1/2013
Action! Billy in peril! Angst!

I approve :)

This is a very good chapter. Makes me want more!
Faye Dartmouth chapter 15 . 4/24/2013
I'm really glad to see this story continue to develop. I like that we're getting even more backstory on Billy. Meeting his mother is a fun touch. I'm eager to see how the next bit unfolds!
Faye Dartmouth chapter 14 . 4/13/2013
I really liked the tension in this chapter, how Billy was finally starting to acknowledge the things he had tried so long to deny. That seems very in character for Billy, who I think puts on a front as much as possible to the point where sometimes he's fooling himself along with everyone else. The feelings are out in the open now, though I wonder how that will affect Billy now that he has something more to lose while on the mission.

Wonderful work :) I cannot wait for more.
BleedPurple chapter 13 . 4/9/2013
I'm glad you are finishing this! It's very good!
vonnie836 chapter 13 . 3/22/2013
I'm excited over this update. You give more insight into who Billy is and I love to see how people from his past see him. I really like Olivia and I can understand, why Billy loves her. It's also so Billy for me that he would give everything up to do the right thing, except Olivia. Can't wait to see what's going to happen next. I'm glad I didn't have to get on my knees to beg but if you ever need me to in the future, just let me know.
Faye Dartmouth chapter 13 . 3/21/2013
I'm thrilled to see you continuing on! And I like the tension in the relationship between Billy and Olivia. I especially love how we can see how hard the deportation was for Billy and what sort of impact it had on him, even when it tries (and mostly succeeds) to hide it. And you really do make me want Billy and Olivia to make amends; their heartache and hurt is palpable!

Can't wait for more :)
vonnie836 chapter 12 . 3/15/2013
I just discovered this story and at first wasn't sure if I should risk starting to read it. I finally did and got right drawn into it. So now I hope that this last update mean you will finish it. I'm not below begging. Let me know if I need to fall on my knees. Hugs, Vonnie
Faye Dartmouth chapter 12 . 3/12/2013
I'm pretty thrilled you decided to pick this one up again :)

I like the conversation between Michael and Olivia; not only is insight into Billy and Olivia's relationship, but you've got some good characterization of Michael there as well.

Though Rick is in quite a predicament!

I do hope you update soon :)
SeanJ111 chapter 11 . 12/2/2011
This is a really fascinating story, I love the plot and how the tension has been building. The characters are well written and the OCs fit in very nicely. You did a marvelous job plotting a story that makes life so deliciously complicated for Billy and the rest of the team. Thank you for such wonderful entertainment!
marinawings chapter 11 . 8/8/2011
I really, really like this story so far! The characters seem so much like themselves, and I love the moments of friendship and humor, along with the action and suspense, of course.

Ah, Billy! You write him beautifully. I enjoy watching the way things unfold between him and Olivia, the ups and downs and all. It's very realistic and makes them seem like real people.

Haha, and you named a character Marina! :D

Keep up the wonderful work!
Faye Dartmouth chapter 11 . 8/8/2011
The guitar/singing here is adorable and heart wrenching all at once. Somehow, I can see it happening :)

And the plot thickens a bit...I hope to read more soon!
SophieSaulie chapter 11 . 8/5/2011
Wonderful chapter! The first scene with the guitar and the Annie song, just delightfully sappy. I'm such a sappy sentimentalist too so this was totally enjoyed by be.

Fave Parts:

But Marina frowned back. "Your compliment is egregiously misplaced," she said. "In no universe am I ever going to be as good as Billy Collins. I have my strengths, true, but lack a certain quality of well-roundedness."

George put up his hands in concession. "As you say," he agreed. "I suppose that's what always made Billy so good. He's got a little of everything."

Rick nodded, understanding perfectly. "It makes me wonder," he said. "How could MI-6 ever let him go?"

George bit his lip and Marina acted like she hadn't heard. Rick thought they were just going to ignore the question until George sighed.

"It's a complicated story," he said. "And I'm not at liberty to share most details. But I will say, Billy didn't deserve what happened to him. It was a lot of politics and bad timing, really."

-SO LOVED THIS! I love that people believed that Billy was wronged and that he was the best. That makes this fangirl's heart flutter.

"Yeah," Billy said, his face seemingly impassive, but Olivia could see the conflict in his eyes he tried so hard to hide. She wanted to stare into his eyes forever and discover more of what it was he was hiding, but she was afraid of what she would find there. Afraid that the man she had loved didn't exist anymore.

-THUD! I could tell her that he was still there, just better. Sigh! Another fangirl moment.

LOVELY!
SophieSaulie chapter 10 . 8/5/2011
I LOVE the "reacquaintance" happening in this chapter, melancholy, sweet in some ways too. Great revelation too!

Fave Parts:

The vase had been a wedding present and it always sat on Olivia's piano which was also a wedding present. It was too big for the living room, but there was nothing to to about that, save buy a bigger house and at least when Billy had lived there, neither of them had wanted to move. It seemed that nothing had changed. Next to the piano sat Billy's guitar, recently dusted. Or played.

- There's something so sweet about this! Bittersweet as well.

As she left, Olivia had nodded down the hallway, as if to say she was okay with Billy venturing farther into the memories of their life together.

-Awww...

It was as if he'd never left; the same white curtains hung to the floor and the same white bedspread lay a bit crooked across the bed. The closet door was half open and clothes were peeking out. The dresser had drawers open and various items scattered across the top, rendering the mirror basically useless.

Billy sat down on the edge of the bed and let out a long sigh. Everything was as he remembered it, as he had imagined it thousands of times in the last ten years. And now that he sat in the middle of his past life, he allowed himself to remember:

-Double awww

Finally, Olivia turned around and buried her face in Billy's chest. She no longer tried to hide her sobs as she clung to his vest, as if afraid he might disappear.

"Is it your father?" Billy asked. Olivia's father had been suffering from cancer for some time.

"No," she choked, shaking her head against him.

Billy couldn't understand. He considered that it might be hormones, but Olivia seemed genuinely distraught.

"What happened?" he asked.

After a few more sobs Olivia managed to say, "It's gone. Our..." She couldn't go on, but Billy instantly realized what she meant. He wrapped his arms around her and blinked hard to try to remove the stinging from his eyes. But it was no use. The tears came and fell on Olivia's shoulder.

But Billy held on. He had to for both of them. He had to pray he was strong enough for this, because he didn't feel like it, but Olivia wouldn't make it through alone.

Billy held on. For a while, anyway.

-OH! THUD! *sops up her own tears. He's SO STRONG and SO VULNERABLE here. SO BILLY! I LOVE IT! And Billy as a father...so achingly harsh fate can be!

"And after that?" Michael asked cautiously.

"After that, I started to become the man you know today. The unflappable, unaffected, country-less waif you discovered nearly seven years ago."

Michael looked at Billy for a second, as if thinking about that statement. "Not totally unflappable," he finally said.

- AWESOME! I TOTALLY LOVE that you have Michael be the one that Billy confides in here.

PERFECT!