Reviews for Justifying The Ends
Catseye2001 chapter 2 . 9/12/2014
I guess this is an old story, but I wanted to comment anyway. Like most people, I'm not a fan of OC's, but with Fallout games, they're expected. Yours is delightful. Your writing is captivating-the characters and story pull me in with lines I remember from the game interspersed with lines so accurate to my vision of the characters that they SEEM half-remembered. Thank you for sharing this with us!
The Rainbow Monocerus chapter 21 . 10/12/2013
Awesome courier personality! I love the companions interactions with each other, really well done!
Fenrir666 chapter 21 . 1/24/2013
Your Courier is a woman after my own terrified sense of self-preservation. Seriously, very well done OC, a rare thing for this site.

And I totally agree about the bounties. Much, much too low.
Fenrir666 chapter 15 . 1/23/2013
Oh my God Livin' La Vida Loca is so friggin' *perfect* for your Courier!
Fenrir666 chapter 7 . 1/23/2013
You have a ridiculously good sense of their characters, and your Courier is friggin' *awesome*!
Watto not chapter 21 . 11/10/2012
I know that you haven't updated in a really long time, but you seriously need to make more of this!
...and action packed too :)
so please, please, pleeaaase make more?
Watto not chapter 20 . 11/10/2012
Watto not chapter 10 . 11/10/2012
This is hilarious,
I love it!
orangecathat chapter 4 . 10/17/2012
Aw, Veronica's point of view is so dorky and adorable! I love your story! Your characterisation is excellent, even of the Courier. Especially the Courier, so many people don't even bother to give her a name, let alone a backstory, she seems like a real character instead of the bland AFGNCAAPs we usually get around here.

I loved the bit about the hat/beret (smart boy, Rex! haha) and the dress. One thing's a little weird though, the radio (Mr Vegas?) plays Hound Dog... don't you think the Kings would have that record instead? Supposing there's a single copy left, of course. It would be amusing to see those guys tune into Mr Vegas and hear that.
korel.c chapter 18 . 12/11/2011
Just for the record, since I'm normally a lurker on stories rather than outwardly reading them, I also arrived here from TV Tropes, and I really do think this is one of the best stories for Fallout...possibly ever. Quality-wise, it's very up there, and having actually played Fallout: New Vegas I think that it's a pretty hilarious take on the Courier. Which I love. Dearly. So, keep on keeping on, and please do update soon, since I'm all sorts of addicted to these people. Who are awesome.

Criticism? What criticism? It's lovely. I love the backstories, especially in this chapter, and Meda talking about Boone's rifle is frickin' amazing, for both of them.
CharNobyl chapter 16 . 10/13/2011
...oh, man, how did I forget about this part? I thought that amidst all the wanton-butchering of Legionnaires, and having killed literally every Legion member you'd encountered as well as anyone who might've had 'Caesar' in their address book, that would at least mean you'd never travel to The Fort.

I'm giving you lots of credit for not turning the chapter into some sort of Inglorious Basterds-esque assassination of Caesar. That being said...why did you even go there in the first place? Meda has never shown anything resembling the necessary restraint to pass a Legion patrol without butchering them, much less walking into the Fort and not devolving into a fit of murder frenzy. And again...she had killed, with disturbing glee, every. Single. Legionnaire. She had ever seen, including the one who was there to deliver the Mark of Caesar to her.

She murdered, in cold blood, the man who had come to deliver a notice of a truce to her, and then walked into the Fort under the assumption that the truce was still valid. What's even more insane is that *it works.* It'd be as if a police force negotiated the release of a hostage in exchange for a sum of money...and when they show up for the exchange, the hostage-takers shoot the hostage, then expect the police to still give them the money for the corpse. And the police still gave them the money.

The only explanation I can come up for this is that you didn't have any other way for Meda to find out about the Autodoc short of actually seeing it...but even then, you invent the thing about him not having hair, and then infer that the Legion has some extra, unseen equipment that can administer chemotherapy. Both of those come out of the blue, but those aside, they still involve an entirely voluntary and unharassed trip to the Fort, followed by an equally uneventful departure.

So the only explanation I can come up with for that contrivance is that you wanted to have Meda and Company laugh at Caesar for having cancer.

(And as a side note, karma isn't supposed to be selective. So unless you're also holding that Meda's dad got cancer for being a deplorable human being, yeah: thinking that cancer is both hilarious and karma-guided probably isn't a great opinion to have.)
CharNobyl chapter 10 . 10/13/2011
...right then. I came here off TV Tropes, so I've a points that aren't really relevant to a standard review. I'll put 'em in a PM at some point, but until then, I'll give a normal one here.

The first thing that comes to mind is the protagonist and her name: I'd suggest choosing whether you're going to refer to her by her first or last name, then just stick with that. You've switched at least three times by chapter ten, and was rather confusing when it first happened. Otherwise, nice job with grammar/diction/etc. It's very well polished.

Descriptions, though...stuff happens other than dialogue, certainly, but it just seems to...happen. Like, in Nipton, you just say that Boone shot Vulpes, and then you're even briefer about the Courier killing a half-dozen Legionnaires with a machete. Action sequences either happen off-screen and we begin in media res, or over the course of a sentence and then we get the aftermath. Sometimes it feels like that 'Missing Reel' bit from Grindhouse.

And Benny...oh, Benny. If I had to list missed opportunities from what I've read so far, he would be #1. You could've dedicated an entire chapter to his encounter with Meda. Think of it: you get to develop her character more, she learns the significance of the chip/what's going on in Vegas, and if you still ended it with her killing him, the act could've actually had some weight behind it, rather than her just waddling back to her hotel room with shaky knees gruffly stating how she killed him.

Showing and not telling is a recurring thing. Normally, I'd have thought a series of one-shots would be about different people or something, but it's all the same cast, and it's following a traditional timeline, as far as I can tell. You even summarize the stuff that happens between chapters, but a lot of the time it's rather significant stuff that just gets glossed over, like the Benny scene.

I guess the protagonist herself is next on the list. At first, it seemed like she was a genuinely believable character with flaws and reservations about the world around her, but then...she went completely off the deep end. You're clearly going for a 'Good' character, but Jesus Christ. She fights with a machete, supplemented by a highly-addictive combat drug and a stealth device that's known to cause insanity. Not only that, despite being a drug-addled butcher, she's also a charming seductress. And yet, despite her sociopathic tendencies, she does things like repairing a robot for the sake of the murderous Super Mutant after having slaughtered her way through said Mutant's minions. the time I got the eleven and twelve, I think I figured out what was off. This is a Legion hate-fic. If ever there was a Freudian slip, it was "making a Legion idiot's ribcage dissolve in a splash of plasma." There's no other explanation why the wanton murders go A) undetected and B) unpunished. They aren't detected because that would cause problems, and you simply wanted the victims dead. And they don't go unpunished because, again, you think they deserved it, so the bystanders did, too.

I actually laughed aloud in chapter 15 when Cass says, completely without irony, "Someone needs to keep Li from running off and getting killed by Fiends." From what we've seen so far, she's one animal-skull helmet away from blending in right along with them. Ah, wait, nevermind. She also develops Sherlock Holmes-like powers of deduction, if chapter 19 is any indicator.

Wow. Well, I wrote this review as I read the story, so I think it covers my train of thought fairly well. I'll still write the PM, but...damn. I think I might've ended up raising enough issues here already.
LuxDragon chapter 21 . 10/12/2011
I liked this chapter. It's definitely my favorite, especially since you pretty much had a whole squad of badasses go down on Cook-Cook.

I even liked the fact the ED-E gave them all away and pretty much screwed the planning session over.
LuxDragon chapter 19 . 9/27/2011
Very emotional. I like Veronica and I liked how you did this.

I think I picked the snarky 'do wear that helmet to dates' option though to mess with the paladin's head just before I blew it off, but yours is fine. Thanks for this. You've done Veronica justice.
Agent 94 chapter 18 . 9/23/2011
Hey, the Gobi desert is in China. Doubt that Boone made it that far.