Reviews for Of iron and of steel
yoki chapter 1 . 4/19/2010
the sons and daughters of Indis are older than the sons of Feanor, because of the passage in the Silmarillion, in Of Beleriand and its Realms: "Thus the realm of Finrod was the greatest by far, though he was the youngest of the lords of the Noldor, Fingolfin, Fingon, Maedhros and Finrod Felagund." pg 131
clh chapter 1 . 10/14/2009
I'm pretty sure the sons of Feanor aren't older than the sons of Indis. Why would Maedhros have called Fingolfin "eldest here of the house of Finwe" if he was younger than him? I think I read somewhere that Indis's youngest son, Finarfin, was just a few years older than Maedhros, I think it was Tolkien Gateway or something, but I'm not sure where they got that information. I'm still sure the sons of Feanor are younger though.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 6/9/2005
The Feanorians as the Orkney Faction? Now that I think about it, I see what you mean. I can definitely spot Curufin as Mordred and Amrod as Gareth - Maglor reminds me a bit of Gareth, too. Celegorm is Gaheris, Maedhros is Gawaine, Caranthir is Agravaine. Did I get it right? It almost works, but not quite, since there are six Feanorians and five Orkneys. Anyway, it provides an interesting way of looking at the brothers, as individuals - they're usually lumped together, but your stories make them unmistakably distinct. Thank you so much.

And I love your version of Thangorodrim - proof that you don't need a scene that hasn't been written before to write it in a new way.

I love the little detail about how the crown came to Middle-earth, something I never would have thought of. I like Fingolfin's reaction when Maedhros tries to stand up, too. One of my favorite lines:

"And we would fall. And we cannot fall. Therefore will we stand, stand as fallen lords of too much power."

Yes, that's the perfect way to put it.
Nessa Ar-Feiniel chapter 1 . 1/27/2004
I like the story, please read my simil fic, it's AU though.
Adrienne chapter 1 . 6/5/2002
Yes, I can very easliy imagine the House of Feanor as like the Orkneys, as was the "you WOULD have a knife!" revelation of Amrod. A child in one of the boats. Aie. You _are_ briilliant, and I'm only a fifth of the way through. You manage to define your characters, and well, in a startlingly short space. The palpable tension in chez Feanor is wonderful. By gosh, how I love your interpretation of this marvelous horrific family. No slash! Pout. Pout. Especially because your Maedhros is sodeliciously Orkney. (thank goodness he isn't Gawaine; I'd been worried for a second there) Amrod is very Gareth, but the others... are yours. Wel. They all have a hint of Mordred (especially Maedhros. This makes me squeal). (And, yeah. The sons of Feanor are older. It hink. Or at least I'm pretty sure Maedhros is.) Anyways. My god. I've been writing this review as I read the story, and I think any attempts at makign this a cogent review are...hopeless. Shaken with adoration,

-Adrienne.
NickelS chapter 1 . 4/23/2002
What a lovely and bitter pain you portray in all of them. Awesome fic: original, nice descriptions, mind-blowing dialogue.

I especially like Maedhros's speech, trying to infuriate Fingon.

The sons of Feanor are... fun. ...sometimes.

Actually, the last note you mentioned about the ages of the sons of Feanor vs the ages of the sons of Indis didn't make too much sense to me. It didn't come across to clearly in the fic which was which... oh wait, nevermind, was reading too fast. It doesn't matter, believe me.
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 4/18/2002
A very nice piece. I had never thought of the Sons of Feanor as being similar to the Orkney Faction in The Once and Future King until you mentioned it, but the comparison is apt indeed! Particularly for the way they may fight viciously among themselves in private, but continue to present a united front in public - brothers stick together! I also love the touch you added of Fingon purposely distracting Maedhros before he cuts his hand off - even though he can't prevent the pain, he's trying his best to minimize it by ensuring that his cousin doesn't see it coming. I'm looking forward to your next installment.
snitter in rivendell chapter 1 . 4/17/2002
ah...

right on my friend! this story was utterly marvellious! and it made me love meadhros all the more (if that is possible!) this was very well-written with a grace that few could surpass...i loved it! will you be writting more of this? i am looking forward to reading another chapter of this...just wonderful!

kudos to you!

snitter
Oboe-Wan chapter 1 . 4/15/2002
[I LOVE the Once and Future King...

And yes, I can sort of see the Sons of Feanor as a bit like the Orkneys. One of my friends likened the sons of Finarfin to the Orkneys as well - basically just Angrod to Aragravine, and Finrod to Gareth (... I love Gareth. I love Finrod too, but I think he me MIGHT be more like Gawaine)... at any rate it doesn't QUITE work, as there is no parallel for Galadriel - or in the case of your analogy, for Feanor.]

*ahem* anyway.

What a beautiful story. As usual, your imagery is beautiful, and your narrative poetic.

You also present a peek at Feanor's very great virtues. This is skillfully done, as I tend to get caught up in the horrors that Feanor later committed, and forget he was once someone fair and noble.(...I seem to avoid the subject, as I've been concentrating on the children of Finarfin and it gets... sticky.)

And Maedhros refusing to accept what his father had become... was really striking.

...I've never liked Celegorm. Thank you for not making me feel like I should. _

In general, your presentation of the sons of Feanor is excellent... just the right amount of tension, constrasted by a sense of fierce loyalty to eachother (from some quarters, anyway). Very Orkney-esque. I was particularly struck by your Maglor and Amrod, but I'm sure you expected that _.

Beautiful, beautiful work!
Finch chapter 1 . 4/15/2002
Yes! Two untold tales that needed to be told, and in between a beautiful retelling of the rescue of Maedhros by Fingon. Their love is so obvious!

I also like the way you depict Feanor's sons as individuals, each with a character of his own; if they operate together, they're usually seen as a collective.

But to answer your question: I don't think Maedhros is older than Fingolfin, though he can't be that much younger either.
Finduilas chapter 1 . 4/15/2002
Finding a fic like this make sifting through all the dross on this site worthwhile. This is brilliant. I take it that it is part of a continuing series?
Snitter in Rivendell chapter 1 . 4/14/2002
*gasp!*

someone wrote a meadhros fic? ah! i don't have the time to read this now but i will later! ah bravo bravo to you! meadhros is my absolute favorite in simarillion (even though he kills elves and such...) and was going to write a meadhros fic myself...maybe i still will...but in the meantime i'll just read this...sometime you will get another review from me...

snitter
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 4/14/2002
The story of Maedhros and Fingon is so deep, I suppose it makes sense that 3 takes on it have appeared in the past week. I am very glad to see your perspective.

It makes sense that Maedhros would not be grateful to Fingon for saving his life, and that the rescure would be the last moment of intimacy they wold share. You say there is no slash, but the love between them is quite visible, and quite tragic. It may not be overtly sexual, but that doesn't make it any less deep.

Poor tortured Maedhros does his best to make Fingon hate him - and can't.

I also like the way you do Maglor, and the hatred between the brothers.

These poor Elves, that they can't really die. Eternal life just becomes a form of eternal damnation.