Reviews for The Piano Bench or, No Lark So Blithe
Parlanchina chapter 1 . 8/6/2014
Beautifully done - so much more like the Sam who lives in my head than even the one on screen :) I love the way you showed us bits of his thoughts, too - Milner's such a good soul. I think they started to write him wrongly after season four...

I've always liked the idea of Sam and Milner getting together - ever since he shared that onion with her - but I like how you ended it. It worked really well :)

Brilliant story!
Parlanchina xx
emma de los nardos chapter 1 . 7/22/2011
Yay! So happy that you published this here.

I really like your portrayal of Sam as the woman who recognizes that Milner feels vulnerable and unloved because of his missing leg, and by seducing him she is able to bring back some of his old confidence in himself and his (very male) body.

I have liked the actor Anthony Howell ever since I saw him in "Wives and Daughters" and when I began to watch Foyle's War, I was hoping for a Sam/Milner pairing - before I decided that Sam and Foyle showed more on-screen spark. Still, Milner is a more age-appropriate match for Sam than Foyle is.

Your story made me wonder: why does Sam tell Milner that they can't repeat the night's experiences? Is it because of their professional relationship? Because of Jane Milner? (I don't know where she is at this point in your timeline.) Interesting...

Also, I always like to think of Sam as a sexually experienced woman, so the way you wrote about her felt right.

All the best,