Reviews for Sailing against the Odds
Akktri chapter 1 . 10/28/2012
Great! A story involving Lead, and The Marie Celeste! Two of my favorite things!
For the most part, I liked the story, but a few things I wonder about. The first is how people would react to Lead's skin color. It's the 1800s, so race relations would have been different. Because of this, I somehow doubt he'd be put in a position of authority unless the captain is the progressive type. And still I think someone would have said something.
Sapphire pretends to be a man in this one, but you'd think she'd get "pretty boy" comments at some point. I also didn't understand the "I need this" comment, considering we don't read much about what she's doing while the others are getting strangled with ropes and drowned.
Another thing I wonder about is the money trail. The amnesiacs are sent out in California with the captain's money. You'd think some of that could be traced back, especially if the money doesn't match the era.
It would have been nice to get more detail on the setting and characters on the boat to heighten the drama. Some of your other stories are very good at that.
The ending was sort of an anticlimax, but so are some of the endings on the actual show.
I think the best thing about the whole story is how you presented an alternate theory of what happened onboard the ship, and a fun and educational lesson on the various details about the ship.
Mary Catherine Marshall chapter 1 . 7/23/2011
And who knew what a sea worthy wench ye might be, eh? This tale, she be yar ... very yar. Loved it!
Valravn chapter 1 . 7/22/2011
Oh at last - the long awaited Mary Celete story! I love the imagery of the ship killing the crew, the rope being possessed. Genuinely creepy. Bravo! It was well worth the wait!
Cruelest Sea chapter 1 . 7/22/2011
Utterly brilliant!

The Mary Celeste has long been an interest of mine and I adore your take on it. Very well done.
laurose chapter 1 . 7/22/2011
Good for Sapphire! (And the other two for backing her.)

If the canon writers ever read this, they'll either kick themselves for not thinking of the Marie Celeste, or decide it's all to the good, because you made a better job of it. They couldn't have had

Survival instincts took over and he plunged his internal temperature downward. And you did so well on the temporal confusion.

You did a great job with Lead, too, and the interaction of the three elements.

Thanks, too, for the word 'walty'. Besides being a nice word, I think it's going to come in very useful.
MLaw chapter 1 . 7/22/2011