Reviews for The Golden Road
GirlofScotland chapter 1 . 7/6/2014
I love it! I've always wanted to read *Coots in the North* as well, but I haven't got it yet. Thank you very much!
Jacynthe Bleue chapter 1 . 4/30/2013
I think you get Nancy exactly right here. Getting older will be harder for her than for the others, even Peggy. She so desperately wants it all to be real, and knows it won't be for much longer. Peter Pan, lest we forget, is not a happy story and doesn't end at all well.
Jen4850 chapter 1 . 1/21/2013
Thanks for sharing
Aebbe chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
Oh. My. Gosh. You've read Coots in the North too! :D I first read it ten years ago, and instantly wanted to finish it, but I don't think I could ever beat this...

In this one, even more than your others, you show how perfectly you're able to keep them all in character - in your others, there are differences of course, because they're older. Here, you had a chance to show them at the same age they are at the end of Arthur Ransome's series. And you got them all breathtakingly perfectly, from Captain Flint and Mrs Barrable (her telegram was a high point for me) right down to Roger, and the Coots themselves. You do the language really well too, which is especially noticeable when it comes to the Coots - it's not overdone, but it's consistent with the books.

One tiny nitpick in the language - there are a couple of Americanisms (at least, that's what they seem like, I don't know where in the world you are) creeping in. Which I only point out because you've obviously gone to a lot of effort to get the language right, and you do it so well that it's a shame to have even the smallest inconsistency. 'Fall' is what you do off a wall over here - the season is 'Autumn.' And we never say 'gotten' - it's always 'got.'

The story - loved it. Of course, the idea was taken from the Coots in the North, but I loved what you did with it. Both amusing and touching, and I thought it was great the way you started off almost exactly where Picts and Martyrs left off. The addition of John's absence was a nice touch, because it put the story into context, in the real world. Which brings me onto my final point, which is really (I feel) the main point of your story here - the beginning of growing up.

I've always thought that Nancy would be the one to resist growing up. It's an issue that Ransome never addressed (growing up) - it's only when I reread the books now that I realise that his characters /did/ grow up over the years, in subtle and understated ways. But he never made it a part of the story, which was right, because they weren't that kind of book - they weren't coming-of-age stories, they were stories about eternal childhood. But how his children would have grown up has always intrigued me. I love your stories of when they already /are/ grown up, but part of me loves this even more, because it shows a part of the process. Which is why the final bit between Nancy and Peggy really touched me and made this story a real favourite.

I'm going to end my very rambling review there. Lovely job!
Misty Dreamer chapter 1 . 7/23/2011

I like how you've filled out 'Coots in the North'. Now I'm just going to be picky: Mrs Barrable is the admiral and it's Arthur Ransome (two tiny spelling errors).