Reviews for Desperate Measures
My gosh! I'm looking at the year you last updated and it's likely for a good reason, but maybe 2016 is the year you'll pick up where you left off on this absolutely wonderful story that I've come to really love? *pleading raise in tone with a little smile*
AshNatalosan chapter 17 . 12/14/2015
Dear Ace of Gallifrey,
Wow, I really enjoyed reading your story! I'm a sucker for good english and you delivered this with perfect grammar, punctuation and spelling. Your plot line was different to the other stories about Enjolras/Éponine being forced into a marriage which was really refreshing. I understand that you haven't looked at this story for a while, but I hope one day you'll find the inspiration to pick up your 'pen' and keep working on this piece of art.
Best wishes,
Ash Natalosan
variatio delectat chapter 17 . 11/10/2015
Hey, i just finished reading waht you wrote so far and i really like your story! The general idea might be a little far fetched but why the hack not? I think you do justice to the characters and i like the dynamic of enjolras and eponin.
You are also quite good at creating a certain suspense which is why i realy hope you will continue the story soon!
Keep up your good work!
Orange et Blue Morality chapter 14 . 11/9/2015
This is brilliant. No, let me rephrase that, _you're_ brilliant. I think you should throw caution to the wind and provide us readers with footnotes from the Brick. The editions may be different in their page numbering, but I'm sure the chapter titles are the same. I would gladly read the defining character moments for Éponine (though with less tactile pleasure than most, since my copy is the softcopy one from Project Gutenberg).

To refer to the previous chapter a little, I can easily envision Éponine as a bit of a feminist. She would be one by necessity, wouldn't she? She'd see just how miserable her mother's life is under her father, and how he reigns as the petit tyrant in his family. Why wouldn't she want a more equal relationship between man and woman, or for man and woman to be given the same rights under the law?

The scene with Enjolras Sr. was a long time in coming and has been foreshadowed enough. You've certainly delivered on the drama and gravity of the situation. Even as things start spiralling out of control, you continue to have a fine grasp of the characters! Perhaps I have read too many mediocre fics, but I am continuously surprised at the skill you have. Enjolras' expression of Éponine as a superior woman is still in character for him, especially since he find the mind much more important than a pretty face. Then, I am in love with the deft way you handle the characters' diction and language - it is far more period appropriate than a good many of the stories I have the misfortune to lay my eyes on. And the friendship! They are solidly friends now!

If there is any regrets I have right now, it is the realisation that I only have three more chapters to read before my reading will have to come to a halt.
Orange et Blue Morality chapter 12 . 11/9/2015
I wouldn't even realise that you're more uneasy in writing Éponine's perspective than Enjolras' - it doesn't show at all. Well, perhaps only a little in the shortness of the chapter, but nothing else beyond that. And you do her character justice; her longing to return to the better days of her youth feels acutely her (even if her more pragmatic side had probably accepted that it wouldn't happen). You even have a very good reason why she would love books, the way her literacy was one of the last vestiges of her old respectability that she'd desperately clung to and would love to restore.
Orange et Blue Morality chapter 11 . 11/9/2015
Odd how that happened, but of all the Amis, the one I'm certain I would be best friends with given half the chance is also Combeferre. No offence to Enjolras, because with all his inner drive, he is certainly the leader the Amis (and the revolution) needed, but alas I have less fire and brimstone than he does and is an intellectual scatter brain. I'm interested in discussing about far more things than just the revolution.

I am sure I've failed to express before how I love your rendition of Éponine. I do. You have her furtiveness, her (currently still there) love for Marius and yet even with all that you've displayed in her a pragmatism I rarely see in fanfics but should actually be a staple in her characterisation. With no chance of marrying Marius, why would she choose a life of starvation and being under her father's thumb than a marriage of convenience with Enjolras? The readers can see her calculations clearly and sympathise at the same time. Then, there's that great balance between the education she'd have received in her childhood that gave her the groundwork for her behaviour, when her family was better off, and the way her intellect has mostly been honed on the streets up until now meant she was as forthright as her observation was incisive. I'm actually looking forward to her character development and how she'd blossom with new opportunities at hand more than I'm looking forward to the romance.

You write great conversation between Éponine and Enjolras. It was entertaining watching the interplay between two people still starting to get to know each other and the way he is gradually noticing the mind that she had. Or the way they're starting to be able to settle into each other's company with some degree of comfort. It's certainly not the fiery romance most people might be looking for when they search for ExÉ fiction, but it makes far more _sense_.
Orange et Blue Morality chapter 7 . 11/9/2015
What do you hate about Musichetta's chapter, really? We get to see Joly's (and maybe Bossuet's) mistress, know her character and see how she interacts with Éponine. There's also the scene to get Éponine to realise how far she'd fallen and thus the first steps to restoring her to better health (and at the very least, the impression of respectability). This is all necessary because I agree with the sentiments you've expressed in the story - if she had really been living on a hand-to-mouth existence, she wouldn't be looking well at all. No mere 'makeover' in a day is going to do her good. I might not be able to point out any single outstanding feature of this chapter, but I find it entertaining enough for something that is ostensibly a filler.
Orange et Blue Morality chapter 6 . 11/9/2015
You put very little effort into your fanfic, you say? Why, Monsier/Madame, I beg to differ. One can glean some details about the time period from your descriptions and narrative that is sadly lacking from most Les Mis fanfiction to my utter chagrin (Hugo, after all, was the King of Details). As much as one may wish to provide a happy ending for the Les Amis, you are also one of the few writers who actually took pains to establish a beginning that is somewhat in accord with canon before slowly moving the narrative into an alternate universe / alternate timeline. I have certainly enjoyed the inclusion of the stealth reference that Hugo intended when he named Éponine as such - interesting hints of what potential developments may have been scrapper after some editorial discussions.

I cannot even begin to say my thanks on how you did not jump headlong into romantic notions. Enjolras suddenly infatuated with anyone? Perish the thought! Or Éponine, overcoming her crush on Marius easily? Not without time. Yet it is indeed time and effort that you put in into your story and it shows in the quality. I know that it's been more than two years since you've last updated this and I wouldn't be surprised if you've forgotten it altogether after all this time, but I will freely say that this is one of the few unfinished stories trying to develop something between Éponine and Enjolras that is reasonable and believable. I will not demand a continuation - a mere reader without any idea of the life challenges faced by a writer has no right to do so, especially one with no recompense but mere gratitude - but allow me to say that I will gladly wait for any further developments patiently, if it is still possible.
tsubaki410 chapter 17 . 9/11/2015
Nice.
Guest chapter 17 . 7/31/2015
Update soon!
zoe.mano chapter 17 . 6/29/2015
PLEASE finish the story! It's so good! Pleaseee!
Guest chapter 17 . 3/7/2015
Please please PLEASE finish this story! I'm desperate. It's so so good, and since you already had the ending(s) figured out... *hint, hint*.
Guest chapter 7 . 3/7/2015
I love this story so much! You're a wonderful writer.
justafakeme chapter 17 . 3/3/2015
Über-fluff for sure
I'm quite liking your story, I love that you're trying as hard as possible to not write Enjolras OOC, and you seem to be keeping Éponine's personality quite right as well (love the hiding-your-feelings-with-sarcasm). I also like it very much that their relationship is progressing slowly, and that now they are good friends!
I wouldn't mind a filler chapter later on of Les Amis together shipping Enjonine (though probably with different words...) without the couple, of course.
I also hope we get to see more of Éponine and Gavroche sibling time (I kind of love these two, I can't take the idea that each one is over-protective of the other in their own way)
Anyway, I think that's it for now, I'll be waiting for the next update ;)
Val90210 chapter 17 . 2/4/2015
I have just finish the whole story I liked very much , I do not know why you dont finish but I think you should! Please , I really loved the way you put your characters in the story and I really wish to know the end !