Reviews for By the Might of Your Skin
Katherine A. Jones chapter 1 . 7/9/2014
Long fic IS long. That's okay, though, because it was really good. I was a little disgruntled, however, about you saying America does not have a lot of scars. I know not nearly as many battles and wars happened on his soil as happened on other nations' soil, but he had his fair share, whether England protected him or not. And, if you assume that he got scars from wars off of his soil, the way England did, he certainly has his fair share of scars. I don't know how much is taught in England about American history, but we have definitely had our fair share of battles. And I'm sorry about going patriotic on you. I know America is not the best nation in the world and we have tons of problems, ranging from weight to politics, but, for the most part, we don't make fun of other nations the way other nations make fun of us. Aaaaaaand, I'm doing it again. So, just to wrap it all up, you did a really wonderful job writing this story.
ziashapeshifter101 chapter 1 . 9/18/2011
i absolutely love this! i'm always fascinated by the nations scars and love anyone who does a good fic about them. and you just did so you now have my undying love! yay for you!
There Was A Silence chapter 1 . 7/24/2011
DWAAAH THAT WAS FANTASTIC AND I'M SO SO SORRY FOR NOT REVIEWING EARLIER BUT ITS KIND OF MY BIRTHDAY (or yesterday, its after midnight...) WOO AND I SPENT THE DAY WITH MY FAMILY SO COULDN'T GET TO THE COMPUTER AND OH MY GOD THIS WAS SUCH A GREAT THING TO COME BACK TO YAY I LOVED IT SO MUCH I'M SO SORRY.

Right.

Yeah.

Really, though, this was great. I had high hopes for this fic; the idea was original and priceless, and believe me, you didn't disappoint. I know you said you weren't quite happy with it, but honestly, from a reader's perspective, I absolutely loved it. Each of the scars and each of the stories were brilliant, and the fluff was gorgeous and at the same time wasn't over the top nor was it unrealistic.

And the CHARACTERIZATION. XD Beautiful, Vince! Both of them, really, were perfect. I've got this odd little soft spot for whenever Arthur uses his pet names or 'britishisms' as Alfred might call them, like 'love' or something, especially when he uses them on Al. I don't even know why, but every time, it made me squee like the fangirl I truly am. XD Back to the point, characterizations. Aces, really; you always do the characters such justice it makes my face hurt from smiling so hard, as evidence by my favorite expression: XD

My favorite scar and story (which sounds all kinds of wrong when it's typed out like that, but I think you get it) had to be Jack the Ripper, just because I thought it was awesome and clever for you to include him, or the Battle of Britain one, because I think it's adorable how protective and sweet Alfred can be over Artie. Actually... I really loved them all. The historical accuracy is always impressive and entertaining, and something about the way you write UsUk is just... I dunno, I like FrUk when it's written well, but there's just something about USUK, especially when you write it, that's to die for. (I think it's ALSO pretty amazing how coherent I'm being right now. Pretty cool, huh? XD) And you should feel proud for the fact that I died while reading this, if only for the novelty and sweetness of it. Suspense and action and tragedy will keel me over in a snap, but it's a little tougher to do with fluff, so it's always nice to find a good one that can metaphorically end me properly, and this story was, without a doubt, one of them.

I think that's all, so I'll end with: really, really awesome job, and I can't wait for the rest of your projects! XD

~Silence
Trumpet-Geek chapter 1 . 7/23/2011
This was great! But you know... Most Americans I know have nothing against Russia or Cuba anymore Actually, I should say ALL Americans that I know have nothing against them! In fact, we are buddy-buddy with Russia right now because our space program depends on it (because whoever was supposed to think up the next thing after the shuttle program is RETARDED).
CaptainCynical chapter 1 . 7/23/2011
That was absolutely gorgeous. Firstly, it's in Alfred's POV, and I've only read a handful of USUK fics in his POV. Your writing is magnificent, the amount of detail you put in is wonderful. If I had to pick a favourite line - which would be very hard considering how well-written this fic is - I would pick this: Alfred falls a little bit deeper into that too-deep pool he's found himself in, sinking into the very essence of what made England England. The love that they feel for each other is conveyed very well in this, how in private they belong to each other. I might be a romantic, but I like it best when they just adore each other. I also enjoyed all the history in this fic. Please keep up your lovely writing.
Skadiyoko chapter 1 . 7/23/2011
I absolutely ADORE this. I love England's history, mostly because I enjoy thinking about what England was doing at the time. (I've imagined him with a Glasglow Smile since I very first found APH). You've made all of the scar's stories amazing, and your characterizations are amazing~. So, just wow. I love this.

Keep being awesome, sweetie! *hearts*
Threnna chapter 1 . 7/23/2011
This was awesome. :D I love how you mixed history with humor, and what-not. And I have to say I love your England in this story. Normally people write him as really fragile and all that when it comes to his scars and history, but I rather agree with your way of writing England; he is stronger than that.

Also, I just have to ask because I didn't know, and it made me laugh: The V is England's equivalent to the finger, right? (just to know I haven't got that wrong). But is it's origin really that the archers had those fingers cut off by the enemy? If it is, then that is both hillarious and sort of brilliant. x) Cocky bastards.
Caledonian-Lion chapter 1 . 7/23/2011
Finally, a fiction that actually explains British history that is accurate! Very well done on how you have worded and set the story out. Including jack the ripper was very good! just a thought, maybe if you ever make another you could mention Waterloo and the war of the roses.

Brilliant fiction... You should be proud! Gotta like the royals
iamthewordshaker chapter 1 . 7/23/2011
This is just... Holy crap. Your writing style is lovely, and I fucking love historically accurate Hetalia fics, and this is just... wonderful, incredible, amazing, all of those things. I really, really love this. A lot. And I'm not doing it enough justice with my crappy review, but whatever, because I love your Arthur and all of his scars and how he really is strong, something that people tend to forget because it's Britain, dammit. And just. Guhhhh. I think this is one of my favorite USUK fics, if not the favorite. I love all the history and the Monty Python reference and everything.