Reviews for The Coin
Analyn Rockwand chapter 8 . 3/9/2015
If that's the way I made yhe world then the world isn't right.

Uh Oh... I'm gonna sing the doom song now!
Analyn Rockwand chapter 3 . 3/9/2015
Did... Did she just summon lightning to hit the annoying guy..? That's... Shit. Her godly powers manifest faster and faster, and that means the ones who target her will come.
hayatefan chapter 1 . 2/23/2015
That was pretty awesome! It felt like reading one of the novel translations, you captured that voice very well. And did well in fleshing out Haruhi's character.
flairina chapter 11 . 2/12/2015
I put off reading this for a long time, since I hadn't finished with Books 9-11, and I am simultaneously regretting that decision (because I put it off until after having sort of fallen away from the series, despite wanting to stay with it because it's sort of my favorite) and happy about it (because I think you've just reignited my passion for it).

I've never been particularly thrilled to read stories where Haruhi discovers her powers at the beginning. They always make me think "well, that sort of ruins EVERYTHING the brigade was trying to accomplish, now doesn't it?". Aside from Haruhi's growth as a person, which is rarely even left in, we've just reverted to the start of the series in a lot of these cases and thus none of it meant anything. But here, you've taken the exploration of that far beyond anything I've ever read or seen, and it's thrilling to read. It wasn't pointless, because everyone else still has their experiences, their lives, their desires, and THAT'S what drives Haruhi in this case. This makes it MUCH better handled here than any of the other fics I've seen that do anything even remotely similar.

The setup for the story was well executed, and led in to the main plot quite well. The middle, again, where I expect to see this sort of setup fall, was exceedingly well paced, with each brigade member seen too in turn, but mixed with other events that made it constantly engaging. The genuinely positive resolution was an excellent counterbalance to the heavy drama just prior, it works perfectly and had me smiling as I read it. As a side note, the references you put in fit perfectly with canon ones, and I appreciate the notes explaining what many of them actually referred too. Though I usually understand the science references for the most part, some of Kyon's rather ultra-Japanese metaphors are lost on me in the books, so those were very helpful.

I absolutely adore the way you write Haruhi- all the characters really, but Haruhi in particular. Her thoughts and actions ring so true with what I believe she would do; you really got deep inside her psyche for this and I cannot applaud you enough for that. The only time she stepped outside of this in my opinion was when she imprisoned the IDSE, but considering the stress of the moment I can still understand this choice and why it was made. Aside from that, which was remedied by the end anyways, I have absolutely no complaints about how ANY of what you plotted out went.

I feel the need to go on a little ore about your wonderful characterization- everyone feels like themselves, feels REAL, in a sort of indescribable way. In fact, several moments of this story, such as when older-Mikuru breaks down, and when glasses-Yuki is talking to Haruhi, resonated with me to the point that I actually was struck by full body "tingles" while reading it; something similar to the experience of frission, minus any music. That isn't exactly something I can say has commonly happened to me during ANYTHING I've ever read, and that alone speaks a lot about this story's quality, at least to me.

I could truly envision this as an ending to the series proper- in fact, if it ever comes, I'll probably be measuring it up to this, and may just find it lacking. Never has a Haruhi fic connected with me so much, and I've read a great many of them. I cannot praise this story enough- if you ever hope to become an author, I believe you'll go on to greatness. "Well done" just isn't adequate. I cannot think of what I could possibly say that would be.

Thank you.
The Defense Professor chapter 11 . 1/30/2015
Fuck, I wish you were in charge of writing the novels. This would have been a perfect last one to end it all. You wrote Haruhi perfectly, shit got deep at times, you dealt with the consequences realistically... there's nothing bad I can say about this fic. It's a shame it's not more popular, but if it's any help I bet it's because of the confusing narrator (which I got used to, but people might not).
polarpwnage chapter 9 . 11/2/2014
This is a masterpiece, why doesn't this have thousands of review and favs over those silly fic I see with top favs about some stupid romance shipping or some humor crap. This is serious stuff and I applaud you for your creation
TehChron chapter 11 . 9/2/2014
Coming back from reading your Auld Lang Syne thread on SV, I've gotta say that even as good as your characterization is here, the growth in between those two stories is actually something admirable

How should I say this...

Your pace has become unhurried, or perhaps you've become better able to express complex characterization as it changes? Dynamic characterization?

I'm finding I lack sufficient vocabulary to express the concept, which is a bit of a shame. There's a sense of panic in certain parts, the sequence revolving around Nagato and her character arc in particular, where you seem almost rushed to resolve it. Mikuru's as well.

There's a lack of...resolution. Closure, to be sure, but there certainly seems to be a lack of completion of the issues revolving around those. I can't tell if it's intentional or not, but it feels more like you strung together those conclusions just for the sake of completion, rather than having expressed them to your personal satisfaction.

I'm always up for a discussion, if you're interested, about the writing process, although I'm afraid that I'm more a Reader than a Writer.
ArcherShirou chapter 11 . 8/6/2014
was a beautiful story
Ergoemos chapter 11 . 1/14/2014
This story is probably the most realistic and honest portrayal of Haruhi I have come across in the fanfiction world. It’s no joke that I am doubly impressed that you managed to pull it off in first person from her perspective, no less. I would have said writing a compelling story from her perspective would be impossible before I started this, but you have done just that.

I finished this story a month ago, but it has taken me some time to finish gathering my thoughts. You did a good job spending time developing her character and distilling the essence of her wildly manic-depressive moods. Her narration was alternatively excited (but rational) and somberly reflective. It was easy to imagine the looks on her face throughout the story.

I am no Haruhi enthusiast, as you might imagine from above, but you have convinced me that she isn’t quite as monstrous as she comes off in the anime. I was glad to see her need to confront some of the damage she had done to her friends throughout the series. I still re-read that desperately emotional confrontation with Yuki from time to time, or her meeting with Young-Adult Mikuru in the future.

Honestly, you posed a question that has made me think for a long time. If Haruhi had the power, should she undo all the suffering she caused? The nature of it all is cyclical, but is that a bad thing? My first reaction is that she made the wrong choice, Kyon’s bland friendship speeches notwithstanding. My second reaction is the same. But after that… I don’t know. If you could ask Yuki if she would rather live as she had in the story or never have existed at all, I’d wonder what the answer would be.

I do know that your answer, this Haruhi’s choice, seems wholly in character and believable. I think it would have been easy (for me) to write the “Haruhi ends the cycle” ending, but I don’t think I would be honest with myself by including it. You stuck true to her and the canon, and I think it says something more meaningful than any other ending would have, whether I like it or not.

It’s interesting to see the cast from a different perspective too. I don’t mean to make it sound like Kyon wasn’t done well, because he was also well-written. I think he was a little too unceasingly forgiving, but it doesn’t stretch the bounds of my personal Kyon Paradigm, and is as good an interpretation as any, if not better than the average. I might still be casting my own shadow of opinion on the original work too.

I don’t think I like Haruhi anymore than I did before I read this story, but I think I can understand her a little better. Thanks for the excellent story, and have a good day!
kukumalu01 chapter 11 . 10/2/2013
this story is so good and refreshing - and real - thank you so much for sharing it with us.
Gemini011 chapter 11 . 6/19/2013
I haven't read the books, and it's been a couple years since I last watched any of the anime ("Disappearance" being my most recent exposure), but you brought me right back into that world. I've had kind of an idle curiosity about reading the light novels for a while, but this fic has solidified that curiosity enough that for the first time I'm actually going to read one. (Okay, let's be honest. If I like it as much as I liked the anime and this story, I'll probably end up reading all of them... and then maybe reading this again to finish up. :P)

The way you captured Haruhi was engaging, fascinating, and felt completely true to her character. After the other works of yours I've read, I'm not particularly surprised at how spot-on your characterizations are, but it's still refreshing and very pleasing.

Your various references to other anime (when I caught them) made me unreasonably happy.

While it's present in your other work (that I've read so far), I feel like this one in particular has a quality to it that's rare even among published fiction these days, let alone fanfiction. It's one thing to be engaged by an interesting story scenario or compelling characters (which you seem to have no problem providing), but when the writing itself - separate from what it's about - is pleasurable to read that seems to me like something special.

If you have any original works available, I would love to read them. And if you don't, I hope that someday you will.

Thanks for writing. It has truly been a pleasure reading your work the last couple days, and I look forward to reading more.
Gemini011 chapter 2 . 6/18/2013
"I'm not going to turn into some giant, naked monstrosity and bring humanity together in some orange-colored soup."

Nice.

"the government has banned them from the Facebook, too!"

Murder, Arson, and Jaywalking applied to humanitarian crisis. I like it. Also, made me nearly bust out laughing in front of my coworkers. Not as bad as Yuki's "Longer" statement, though.

I don't go for Haruhi fanfiction often, but the quality of your other works convinced me to give this one a shot. I don't regret it at all, and I think you've captured the feel of the source material extremely well.

On to the next chapter!
Inferno Vulpix chapter 11 . 5/29/2013
The odd thing I realized about this fanfic is that, while it didn't have a specific plot or string of events or general goal during the story, I still found myself looking forward to what happened next as if it were one such fanfic. Regardless of how the story didn't feel like it was making direct cause-and-effect progress, it never seemed to stagnate.

Very enjoyable, and I like how everything seemed to fit together at the end, but the whole time travel and philosophy at the very end got a bit to confusing for me.
Guest chapter 3 . 5/8/2013
I'd have thought it would be Kyon to be smited since he's so smitten with Haruhi.
steve chapter 2 . 4/3/2013
I noticed the Evangelion reference in there. Clever!
146 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »