Reviews for Separation
RavenLady chapter 1 . 4/24/2005
The bit about Fingolfin's motives was interesting. Finrod's "dreaming" moment is so beautiful it hurts. A unique look into several characters' minds, and vividly written, too.
Anarya of Lorien chapter 1 . 10/7/2004
.Go! Keep up the good work! And hope you write more!
Finch chapter 1 . 6/7/2004
Dear Jojo,

The name of Fingolfin's wife is mentioned in the History of Middle-earth 12, in the Shibboleth of Feanor. (If you read the entire Shibboleth, you'll also know why I don't count Orodreth among Finarfin's sons.)

Thanks for reviewing!
jojo11 chapter 1 . 6/6/2004
i always wondered why they would part, but you explain it very well, especially when finarfin says:

"You cannot bear to think that our brother, crazed fool though he be, will name you craven, and claim that none of Finwë’s sons dared avenge their father, save he alone, the true-born one."

but who is the friend Anairë wants to console? nerdanel or earwen? and is Anairë a canonical name?
jillian baade chapter 1 . 4/16/2003
Its not just the Kinslaying that is so deeply sad at this point in Noldor history, it's also the leaving behind of wives and children, perhaps we should call it the Kin breaking! I enjoy the way you showed this from everyone's P.O.V save the Feanorians. A haunting story, especially when one considers that Finrod wants exploration and adventure, and all they do get is death
Nemis chapter 1 . 5/31/2002
*dum-de-dum-de-dum* *waves*

You know, you made me wonder what the social position of Fingolfin and Finarfin in Elvish society was, as opposed to Fëanor's...

Finarfin calling him "the true-born one" made me do that. It seems plausible , in a culture such as the Elvish one (where a person usually marries once, and expects it to last forever), the sons of a second wife could be considered... not legitimate...

But since Fingolfin was generally accepted as his father successor, (probably because Fëanor was, well, Fëanor ;)) do you suppose this is more of a psychological feeling Finarfin has?

I can't help but feel sorry for Fingolfin... He might be following Fëanor for all the wrong reasons...
LOTRlover chapter 1 . 5/27/2002
What a fine job you did of fleshing out so many characters in a story this short. Great use of dialog, too. A beautiful story.
Mouse chapter 1 . 5/26/2002
This is absolutely lovely. I'm amazed at how skilfully you used dialogue to create such separate and believable characters in such a short piece. The conversation between Fingolfin and Finarfin is my favourite part, the obvious contrast in their personalities and priorities though they do not quarrel. Anaire's choice is understandable, heartbreaking as it is for Fingolfin. I'm so glad I read this.
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 5/26/2002
Shame on me! I went and ripped off, er, got inspired by this story and didn't even review it! Well anyway...

What is striking to me about this story is Fingolfin's very complex feelings towards Feanor. He hates him, considers him mad, wants to protect his sons from him (which he obviously can't), but at the same time he cares desperately what Feanor thinks of him. His speech about the idealistic reasons he's going rings somewhat hollow, as Finarfin notices.

Anaire understands more than she lets on, I think. She must have been a quite interesting person.
Lillian C1 chapter 1 . 4/15/2002
Keep the Silmarillion fics coming! They're great, and there's never enough of them!
Woman of the Dunedain chapter 1 . 4/15/2002
Very sad. Your righting is impeciable. Much like Tolkien himself _
Radagast chapter 1 . 4/15/2002
Really great!
Starlight10 chapter 1 . 4/15/2002
This is a wonderful work! I am struck by your writing, it is truly wonderful. So very visual, so "epic". The dialogues and overall style convey a sense of the ancient which I think goes in accordance to writing about the events of your narrative. I love your work! The idea is very original (in fact, I don't think I have seen another fic that addresses this subject), and this promises to shape into a wonderful story. Keep up the good work!
Oboe-Wan chapter 1 . 4/15/2002
ack! Trust you to make this tragedy beautiful. :'(

I loved how you worked around Feanor's lines, kept them intact, and showed the other characters' responses to them.

The harshness of these partings are so painful, but right.

Your writing is so strikingly visual. I am left with the images long after I finish reading - and I would love to write more, but I have to run to class!

Lovely work!
Joan Milligan chapter 1 . 4/15/2002
Damn, this was BEAUTIFUL. I couldn't stop reading for one moment, and near the end I had to breath very deeply a lot of times so I won't burst into tears all over my keyboard.

True enough, our perceptions of those events, and of sons of Finwe (Feanor most of all, I'm not that ashamed to say I adore him) are very different, but the tragedy, the... *weight*, the *reality* of it... is something one can't help but relate to if presented well. Needless to say "well" doesn't begin to describe this :).

Excellent, excellent stuff.