Reviews for Slipping Through My Fingers
kittyblossom chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
Very spot on - the Mary/Edith relationship, especially. Your writing is a relief to read, conscious withholding of the schmaltz!
TrapperII chapter 1 . 11/28/2011
Oh, I liked this! You captured the characters of all three daughters very well.
MandaPanda2 chapter 1 . 8/6/2011
Beautiful story!
Rocks-my-socks chapter 1 . 7/28/2011
I just adored this, it was so beautiful. Such a lovely tribute to the Crawley women.
La Merle chapter 1 . 7/27/2011
Oh dude, this is amazing. It's just beautiful and fantastically written and awwww, it broke my heart in so many places. There's so much awesome here and it's a testament to you being a damned amazing writer!
GhostIsland chapter 1 . 7/27/2011
Aww...as a mother myself, this fic made me start thinking about the future...it's too soon! I sympathize with Cora. :) I do think Edith's was my favorite (I love "Edith struggles to relate to her family" stories) - and tying in the idea that she loved music with seeing the concert with Sir Anthony makes so much sense. :D I also hope Mary got to marry the man she loved, and great to end with the idea of all Cora's daughters eventually becoming mothers. :) Lovely and introspective - thank you so much for posting and keep writing! :D
OrangeShipper chapter 1 . 7/27/2011
Oh, this is just beautiful! Your writing is always beautiful. So sad and poignant.. The idea of all these little moments and future moments missed.. Aww!

(I completely thought of that song in the title.. It makes me weep!)

(And clearly, I'm holding out for Mary's husband being Matthew..!)

Thank you for another piece of gorgeous writing!
Chickwriter chapter 1 . 7/26/2011
Really lovely... The bit with Mary creeping into her mother's room gave me goosebumps - you captured that intimate moment so beautifully. Well done!
Kavan chapter 1 . 7/26/2011
This is such an interesting story and terribly rooted in the characters and especially in Cora's dynamics with each of her daughters. There is a definite note of regret and sadness, it reminded me of a line from the Benjamin Button trailer- life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards. Now that her daughters are in some ways gone, Cora sees clearly how choices impaired the relationships. Very thought provoking fic.
vyrastra chapter 1 . 7/26/2011
Oh how I love this!

I have...issues, one might say, with Mamma Mia!, but this song puts me in tears every time I hear it performed, and having it in the back of my mind as Cora observes the streaming lives around her only makes it so much more poignant.

It's so easy to get lost in the charm of the characters' romances, you know, but stories like these are the reminders of why the series works, why the characters work. I think you've done Cora perfectly, though obliquely. She is one of my favorite characters, and-imaginary though she is-lucky to have this tribute.

You do a brilliant job, by the way, of showing the daughters to be more than the usual sense of them-Mary's "doing streak" and deeper daring, rebellious nature (like a Sybil who was, in the end, firmly taken in hand after all!); Edith's luminous, fervent love of things (music, people she can't have) the deep wounds she sustains; Sybil's secretiveness. Each unexpected, but fitting perfectly into the broader scheme of the character. wonderful!
bijou156 chapter 1 . 7/26/2011
I really enjoyed reading such a beautiful and skillful writing! I love the narrative and characterization of all the characters!

[QUOTE:At seventeen, Mary has become the perfect debutante – proud, regal, charming, cold. She attracts suitors by the dozen and boasts to her family of this Earl's son or that Duke's nephew being in her thrall. She speaks often of clothing and fortunes and dances.

She never confides what she feels.]- Excellent portrayal of Mary, I love it!

[QUOTE: Mary is already beautiful – porcelain skin with perfect flushes of color, expressive eyes, coy smile – and Edith sees how the boys look at her sister and don't look at her. Antipathy builds between them, but they hide it behind a sisterly façade.]marvelous description on how antipathy starts to build up between the two older girls. spot on!

[QUOTE:Soft whispers tickle her ears, floating from the inner room where little Sybil, three years old, is tucked into bed. Though half-asleep, she is still busy confiding her wishes and dreams to the stuffed animals and the friendly shadows of her room. Cora steps closer and the whispering stops.

"Already," Cora sighs. "Already she is keeping secrets."] this is really sweet and fluffy! perfect!

[QUOTE:But still she knows and still she realizes this daughter cannot be caged much longer. So though she mourns, she acquiesces quickly when her daughter asks to travel to America, ostensibly to visit her relatives. Cora packs her off with another sigh and is unsurprised four months later when Sybil extends her stay so she can study at an American university.

And when she hears their former chauffeur is sailing for America, Cora thinks about the daughter who learned to keep secrets early and wonders what else she let slip past her.]- excellent!

Overall, I love how you show the Crawley sisters' development through Cora's eyes, the passing of time and how she reminisces on them. Cora's characterization is really sweet and motherly, I love it! I like that bitter-sweet feeling Cora's memories invokes!

You have writing this with great skill and emotion, like with magic! Maybe you did! If so, this story has bewitched me! :D
sakurasencha chapter 1 . 7/26/2011
Very lovely:) I think you accurately portrayed Cora's shortcomings with each of her daughters. Very moving and touching, and of course I especially loved the part about certain people running off to America.
TheShippyQueen chapter 1 . 7/26/2011
Weirdly, as soon as I saw the title, I thought of that song! And as I read it was in my head! And now it's firmly lodged there! So, thanks for that! :D

A super little one-shot, poignant and heart-felt! Well done me dearie! Xx