Reviews for Return of the Informer
Goldleaf83 chapter 7 . 8/21/2011
The whole series has been a tour de force, and this final chapter is a worthy conclusion! Making Hogan the narrator allows you to have some real fun in this one (his “inner James Cagney” indeed!). Kinch’s situation with the broken ankle neatly explains his disappearance from the main action, but allows you to keep him as the sounding board that Hogan needs, without unnecessarily killing him off. The affection that Hogan and the rest of the team feel for Wagner by this point (after so many encounters!) really comes through, nicely articulated by Kinch in the middle and all the guys at the end.

You use Maria very effectively: she is not a likeable character in the original series, so your explanation of her real purpose accounts for that neatly as well as for Wagner’s true feelings about Lila. (And you had me going there for a bit with Newkirk’s comment about her no longer being with us!) Hogan’s comment about his “horrified moment” when Wagner finds out what has happened to Lila is perfect, too! Also the guilty look he and Newkirk exchange when Wagner tells them they would never be taken in by a pretty face!

A small point but worth noting: very nice accounting for Newkirk’s absence from roll call, which the original episode doesn’t bother worrying about. It’s these sorts of small details, added to the great inventiveness with which you stitch together all the episodes, that create a plausible story out disparate and improbable materials. A fine series, which has been a great pleasure to read!
80sarcades chapter 7 . 8/20/2011
Interesting tale from a different POV, and nicely done! Maybe Wagner will get a break this time. Or, more accurately, maybe the Heroes will get a break from him (or maybe not:-) I liked the following line:

"Wagner was obviously suited for desk work requiring close attention to technical details, so naturally this trusting soul, who went from one near-disaster to the next, was assigned to undercover work instead. Go figure."

In this case, so true!
Jinzle chapter 7 . 8/20/2011
I going to miss him too Carter. Wonderful story. sorry to see it end.
dust on the wind chapter 7 . 8/20/2011
Oh, well done - this episode was probably the hardest to fit into the Wagner cycle, and it's lovely to see it slide into place so beautifully.

I've grown really fond of the Allies' least competent agent, and I'm sad to see the last of him. But knowing the
buggleston chapter 7 . 8/19/2011
Wonderful chapter~interesting that you brought forth Maria's character as gestapo~like Carter ~I'm going to miss the guy also~I've been enjoying the multi~character 's of Noam Piltik~ this is definnitely his last stalag 13 at least he finds out that Lila Fenster is in England . I also enjoyed that this one was written as Hogan POV Excellently!
ColHogan chapter 7 . 8/19/2011
Great chapter! And sad this it's Noam Pitlik's last visit to Stalag 13 as whoever since he's run out of characters to portray. Loved that you made Maria a Gestapo agent in this piece seeing as I never liked her character. I especially loved Hogan's description of the fur collar on Newkirk's coat looking like something Frau Newkirkberger . Also liked it that this chapter was told strictly from Hogan's POV.
Bits And Pieces chapter 6 . 8/15/2011
Ah, so that's how Wagner became Major Strauss - talk about timing! Once again it all makes perfect sense; I don't know how you do it! My guess is the last question will be answered soon, and I have a pretty good feeling what it will be. Can't wait to see what's next in store for poor Wagner!
Canadian Hogan's Fan chapter 6 . 8/15/2011
Another wonderful job. Wagner really can't catch a break can he? Plus causing Hogan angst for thinking he killed Wagner. No wonder you're worried about fanfic court, LOL. Great job with more explanations. Another great addition to the series!
Goldleaf83 chapter 6 . 8/14/2011
Oh, good job on this one too! Your ability to come up with scenarios for Wagner’s changes of character never fails to astonish me. The real Strauss is delightfully dotty, and I certainly wasn’t expecting what happened to him! Hogan might be able to “think of at least half a dozen alternate courses of action he himself would have chosen,” but Wagner’s made perfect sense to me, especially given that he really is German. And Wagner of course would be conscientious about improving the conditions he found – for the Allied cause. Hogan’s reaction to Klink’s announcement is very well done, and the famous Twain quotation just perfect for the occasion when Wagner pops up again! Nice subtle variations in the differing reactions Hogan has to Hilda’s presence, signaling his state of mind each time. A funny little Carter description too: "‘I don't think you can blame him for the downed fliers we've got to pick up tonight,’ said Carter, who liked to keep things straight.” Indeed, our Andrew does. Also, it’s certainly very convenient that Victoria Carroll appeared in two episodes with Noam Pitlik in them! (Even though their characters never interact in this one, it’s still very handy, and you certainly make good use of the coincidence.)
snooky chapter 6 . 8/14/2011
You are working so hard to come up with explanations for Wagner's appearances. It's amazing how many times the actor was actually involved in the series. talk about convoluted plans. YOu're giving Hogan a run for his money. LOL
Jinzle chapter 6 . 8/14/2011
Poor man just goes from one crisis to another. Maybe he can have a little rest before meeting up with the boys again. Perhaps Burkhalter and Klink should have their eyes checked.
Guest chapter 6 . 8/14/2011
Oh, very neatly done - and you've accounted for another returning guest actor (Victoria Carrol?).

I'm loving this, it makes such beautiful narrative sense.

dust...
buggleston chapter 6 . 8/13/2011
Wonderful explanation on how Wagner became Strauss but he still ended up in the again ~Now Hogan had to add him to his worries of getting everyone out safely~so again he devised a plan that landed everyone in London only thinks that this will be the last time they see Wagner or will it? Beautifully done cannot wait for the next installment to come!
ColHogan chapter 6 . 8/13/2011
This was the best chapter of them all! I loved how you wound everything together and explained why 'Strauss' was blackmailing Klink over what he found in the ledgers.
Jinzle chapter 5 . 8/13/2011
Can't wait to see what Wagner gets himself into next.
84 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »