Reviews for My Father's Hands
Arthien1188 chapter 1 . 2/15/2004
I'm CRYING. C-R-Y-I-N-G! Wow. That was beautiful...I'm amazed at your skill. Bravo.
Hellga chapter 1 . 3/7/2003
Hauntingly beautiful and powerful story. *bows*
Belthronding chapter 1 . 10/19/2002
A hauntingly good fic. This is the only other fic I've found on Elured and Elurin, apart from mine.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 10/11/2002
So it's only taken me forever to review this. I remember reading it before I even had a account. Today, I thought I'd do a bit of catch up, but trust me, I'm so far from ever catching up.

I liked the father worship that is so true for every child growing up. The choice of Feanor's hands as a recurring imagery is especially good since, well, duh, he's very skilled with his hands and Maedhros himself loses a hand. Maedhros is able to think despite everything, a hard task, and is keenly aware of the fact that he's seeking the sons of the very person who killed Celegorm. He's also keenly aware of the smallness of a child's hands and all that that implies, the innocence and lack of the burden of memory that eventually weighs down adults. And I like the way he ties that back to Feanor, who must've been young once too. True enough. But the best part is, at that moment, when he thinks of his father and the innocence that even Feanor must've experienced, he has no regrets. What a man. :) This was definitely one of the wonderful fanfics I'd read early on that convinced me to give fanfics a chance again
naltariel chapter 1 . 5/15/2002
i am amazed... I stumbled on your Tis no imprisonment, and I am continuing to check your stories one by one. Amazing. You surely have deep insight of people. And they are so true. Maedhros childhood ere the silmarils, yea, Feanor might have been kind before the silmaril corrupted him. Poor things.
Oboe-Wan chapter 1 . 4/24/2002
This... was incredibly powerful.

... You seem to have quite a knack for the folly of the Noldor. Whichever folly it happens to be.

This is so... so... disturbingly right. Maedhros treasuring the memories of his father, unwilling to share them, is SO striking, and wretchedly right. Who forgot to teach the Noldor to share? *giggles* ahem, sorry.

- I am not a Maedhros fan, save that occasionally I find him more worthy of respect than some of his brothers.

[character-directed rant:]

No regrets, Maedhros?

And you, YOU, a son of Feanor, dare to call Dior the Fair Kinslayer? Dior who killed your brother (and Celegorm... oh Celegorm, who would've killed Dior's father without a second thought) only to save his life, his bride, his children, and his kingdom - and failed all? You call him Kinslayer, Maedhros? Does the blood on his hands make that covering yours somehow less red?

You cannot excuse your own crimes with the crimes of others!

[*ahem* sorry. done.]

There, you see, you've written him well enough to make me angry at him.

Stop playing with my emotions!

No... don't do that. It would mean no more awesome awesome stories like this one. And I do hope there will be more!
Mememe chapter 1 . 4/20/2002
I know I'm going to sound like everyone else, but this was absolutely beautiful. Maedhros is my absolute favorite character and because of that I'm a little afraid to write anything about him.

This, on the other hand, is exactly the way I imagined. I'm so glad someone finally decided to write something for him! And it couldn't have turned out better. He's a really deep character and you got that across wonderfully.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I just would like to say, thank you!
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 4/16/2002
'What are you seeking, Maedhros Kinslayer?'

'I remember my father's hands'

Your writing is powerful, but more importantly you have something to say. Everyone is a kinslayer here, and everyone is a victim. Maedhros wants to do some good, to forgive the sons of his brother's killer, but he will not be allowed to. If he had found them he would probably wanted to adopt them, like Maglor adopted Elrond and Elros. And perhaps he could have loved them. You make us sad not just for what was done to Maedhros, but for what he will never have.
Finch chapter 1 . 4/16/2002
This is awesome! The way you sound the depths of Maedhros's soul, and summon up a world of agony with a single sentence about his mother Nerdanel - will you please write her story, too? Stories like this unfailingly remind me of how blatantly unfair it is that illustrators and musicians can freely present their Tolkien-inspired works to the world at large, while the artists of the word have to do with ...
Maia1 chapter 1 . 4/15/2002
This is incredibly well-written, and so beautiful. I love the line

"Small Elven hands. Yet untouched, yet untried, seeming so frail, seeming as if they would never grow."

"What are you seeking, Maedhros Kinslayer?"

Incredibly powerful. Thank you.
Evil Grin chapter 1 . 4/15/2002
This is so good! Maedhros is one of my favorite characters, and I make a point of reading every Silmarillion fic I see. Stuff like this is very rare. You are a wonderful author!
Woman of the Dunedain chapter 1 . 4/15/2002
How sad. Maedhros is such a sad character.
Xi-feng chapter 1 . 4/15/2002
Oh, wonderful! The way you present this is incredible - Maedhros' thoughts and memories intermingled with his futile search in the forests comes together so well, and the constant repetition 'Maedhros Kinslayer' really hammers all the raging emotions home.

Although the whole story is a masterpiece, the images that particularly stood out were Elured and Elurin wandering hand in hand in the darkness and Maedhros' memory of his childhood with his father, tiny palms in large strong ones. Absolutely beautiful _

Last thing to mention; I love the idea that the remaining sons of Feanor could feel that poor Celegorm was dead... but the notion that such a thing can stretch back across the seas to reach Nerdanel... wow. Maedhros may no longer think of her, but suddenly I feel really REALLY bad for her. No one ever thinks of her once her boys have left, but to imagine her sitting alone in Aman feeling each of her children die - that's eeriely horrible :)

Wonderful, wonderful story altogether - please write more Silmarillion fics, especially about our beautiful one handed redhead here!
Le Chat Noir chapter 1 . 4/15/2002
::gasps:: You left me breathless here... The thing about hands was wondrous. This depiction of Maedhros's quest is incredible. Almost heart-wrenching. Well, not almost. It is. Very thought-provocking. One really wonders, what is he seeking indeed?
Glorfindel's Girl chapter 1 . 4/15/2002
Oh my God! This is incredible! There are so many ways to mess up a story written in first person, but this is flawless. Elured and Elurin are two of my favourite characters from the Silmarillion. I love your take on this story: the theme with the hands in very interesting. Ir you're into Silmarillion fanfiction, check out my stuff, especially "Blood of Innocents" which is my take on the Fall of Doriath/Maedhros' search for Elured/Elurin. Keep up the excellent work!

Peace, Love, and Fluffy Bunnies.

Glorfindel's Girl