Reviews for From Here You Can Almost See the Sea
Katie Salbrux chapter 1 . 9/20/2014
*smiles a little sadly* My poor soul needed it after reading The Last Train Home - I really, really loved it's atmosphere; I could see the seaside while reading the words. At the end I was a little afraid Erik would leave, then I realized the only time he did was on The Beach. Loved it.
weemcg33 chapter 1 . 8/13/2014
This was beautiful and painful but so incredibly well written that there aren't enough words to describe it. I'm constantly blown away with your writing on so many wonderful stories. The X-Men is a new obsession of mine that came to the surface after watching First Class. Those two characters are wondeful together and I can't get enough.
I do agree with what you said in regards to everyone telling Charles to stay out of their heads, it is totally hypocrytical. I liked getting to see angry Charles, he deserves to be let loose on occasion lol
Anyway...thank you for another to add to my favourites!
Drought chapter 1 . 11/19/2012
This is a perfect explanation of everything in The King's Gambit, as well as being utterly gorgeous on its own. Cheers.
Xtin2000 chapter 1 . 8/26/2012
ok this is absolutely perfect! I totally love this story, what a great job! You have a wonderful way of writing these characters!
PureWinter chapter 1 . 12/20/2011
Talk about a beast of a story! I enjoyed every bit! I think you write beautifully! You really capture the sense of being "there", I've never been to England, but you gave me a taste.

I've read a lot of X-men: First Class fanfictions, but yours are the highlight of my X-men reading experience; from the way you describe the settings to the way you depicted the relationships. I feel sorry for Charles and Erik a lot. You present them in a very compelling and emotional way. I cried at least three times while reading this. I seriously had to stop reading a few times to get tissues.

Charles was written far differently than I've ever seen, he was far more "human" and relatable than some people write him. He curses, he has the ability to hate and and lose hope and he displays the strength to overcome and come out stronger on he other side. He's a very convincing 'retelling', if you will. Your version of his childhood is sorrowful and saddening and explains his attitude toward life. You seamlessly patched any gaps in his past and added your own touches.

Erik is very dark and brooding, hard to get to know. He's locked off, disbelieving and overall very Erik like. He doesn't soften up like a big softie, but he shows his own human side. That feeling that there's hope. His inner monologue was back and forth in a realistic way, it wasn't over dramatized. I felt like I was listening in on a real struggle for forgiveness and truth.

I've read The King's Gambit and Last Train Home (up to chapter six, please update!) and I enjoy the AU you've crafted. It doesn't seem to "out-there" to be true and not far off Canon to be hard to follow. I can't think of anything to say now! Big surprise! Anyway, I hope I didn't take up too much time, but I felt that I had to let you know that your works make my day a little more meaningful and full.

-PureWinter
Luminate chapter 1 . 12/19/2011
I haven't gotten emotional over a story in a long time. I think it's because you made it so real, and believable. Your writing is very admirable. Thank-you for sharing this with us!
Bkw3rm chapter 1 . 12/11/2011
I've finally taken the time to sit down and review your awesome First Class stories. They are absolutely wonderful. I've read this one 5 or 6 (probably more) times already. I love Charles' backstory. Especially how Erik didn't want to hear it because he didn't want the idyllic childhood he'd created for Charles to be shattered. Oh, and thanks for just keeping them friends, I personally prefer them that way. The angst and forgiveness and uncertainty in this story were simply amazing. Keep up the good work!
Professor Meshka chapter 1 . 11/16/2011
Are you a wizard? You seem to have this powe to make me LOVE everything you write. I'm a picky person, I am. It takes a lot for a piece of writing to impress me but you. You're amazing, you tick all the right boxes and you MUST continue writing X men first class fanfics. The fandom is dying and there aren't many writers as good as you who like the film. All in all, I love you and you're amazing. Keep it up:)

Prof.M
Nekozawa Katsuki chapter 1 . 10/21/2011
This is a first class piece of literature (pun intended). Seriously though, this was so touching I cried. Then cried again when I was explaining why I was crying in the first place to my mum. It's so sweet how they can be just Charles and just Erik and that they can be friends even after all their differences. Charles's back story was brilliant too by the way—very canon.

So, thank you, for writing this. If I could I would give this to Charles and Erik and tell them they better work out their differences or else. They are just better as friends than enemies, don't you think?
HyDrOmAtIc chapter 1 . 9/12/2011
Well, that was simply amazing. Like, you should be a professional writer amazing. I swear, you're the only person I've read who can do a close relationship between the two without the homoerotic subtext (not that I would mind that, I'm a huge Cherik shipper). I'm including the movies in this as well. And oh man I teared up in some parts. Really really well done. Looking forward to more!
unmatterable chapter 1 . 9/4/2011
this is absolutely stunning! wow.

and it's so satisfying to see charles (FINALLY) telling erik how it is to be a telepath & feared even among other mutants. i'm just in love with this whole verse 3 and i really hope you're planning on more oneshots (once you've finished with the prequel) in this au; that was just so beautiful *happy sigh*
InsideYourDreams24 chapter 1 . 8/10/2011
Oh. My. Goodness.

This was so beautiful. It was the most accurate-sounding fic I've ever read. It sounded exactly like how two men would try and fix a problem between them. Days of silence, lashing out, then the big realization haha.

I was wondering, is Erik going to find out that he theoretically put the coin through Charles' head in The Last Train Home? Because here it seemed like a powerful argument, but far from a sudden realization. And, in a sick, morbid way... Im kind of looking forward to that scene. I really want to see Erik's reaction.

Anywho, this was marvelous. Beautifully written, it seems like it could be an extension of the film if they didn't have a status quo to fill.

Wonderful job :) IYD24
Chrysalis441 chapter 1 . 8/8/2011
Once again: excellent story!

I really love your characterization of the two of them and in particular how you paint their relationship.

And I especially liked the scene where Charles eventually gets angry about the fact that telepaths are feared and mistrusted even among mutants.

I have no problem with the background you give Charles because I also prefer seeing him as someone with not as easy a live as one might think.

I like how you are expanding your AU-universe with side stories.

Do you plan on continuing that trend? There is for example the short sequence in Charles' memories where they are both shot in a mission gone wrong. That is something I would love to see expanded *winks*

And you do know that I am just now waiting even more impatiently to find out all that happened in between? *sighs*
Aerosso chapter 1 . 8/2/2011
:') THEIR FRIENDSHIP IS SO BEAUTIFUL.
Schnebz chapter 1 . 8/1/2011
wow...What a loooooong chapter! but so good. Your writing style is fantastic! You make the characters so tangible and real. Erik's inner struggle is so real and makes me so sad. I love that their 'fixing things' is so hard and with ups and downs. Many people tend to make happy endings (yours will be too, eventually ) too soon but you manage to make it really like it is in real life.

And the north sea...Too bad I live 2 hours away from it, otherwise I would go there more often, especially after reading this. The way you describe the climate is so true, I can imagine how it inspired you!

I hope you had an awesome holiday and I'm looking forward to the update in your 'Last Train Home' story :D