Reviews for Not Quite Paradise
Guest chapter 22 . 12/17/2016
Damn I dont think you guys are ever going to finish this which is a tragedy cause its soo good
names are hard guys chapter 22 . 5/26/2015
OKAY.

So I read this MONTHS ago on a whim and have procrastinated sending a review until now because that's just how I roll. But I'm finally sending a review.

Firstly, I love this fic. I truly do. Like, I really really don't like incest or smut or anything, but I read your fic because the description caught my eye far too many times for me to ignore because space. I love space. I was an astrophysics major for a long while, so yeah, I like it enough to take high level math courses. And I like it enough to have decided to at least look at this story because the concept sounded amazing. I ended up liking it so much that I made two other people read it as well. I still think about it, months later. Still reread. Oh gosh.

So I think my absolute favorite thing about this story is the world building. One of my friends compared it to Firefly, and honestly I think it's better than Firefly. There's so much more thought and detail and realism to your story that just really wasn't in Firefly. At all. Your story painted a beautiful and believable picture of a possible future with such detail that I'm just taken away by it all. I can't express how impressed I was, and continue to be.

The characterization was on par (as expected from you and Reikah), and their relationships were perfectly depicted. Even the relationship between Yuui and Fai I accepted after a while. Like I said, I truly do not like incest, but it was depicted as unhealthy and the circumstances under which it came about made sense. The progression of Yuui and Kurogane's relationship was really well done. Sakura and Syaoran were a delight. Oh gosh they were such a delight! And the dynamic between the whole group was very well-depicted.

Oh, and let's take a moment to revel in scientific research and thought you put into this whole thing. Ugh. Incredible.

And honestly, the thought and detail you put into literally everything. Plot, world-building, characterization, etc. For example, the way you have the precognitives deal with their ability and telling when visions were happening and all that - details to pay attention to, calendars, days of the week etc etc - that was really, really cool. There's just a ton of little things like that that just made this whole thing amazing.

Augh I could go on and on about how much I love this fic. Really, I could. I'm considering it, but it would turn into incoherent rambling.

But basically, this fic is incredible and oh I wish to know what happens after it! It's totally fine that you guys haven't posted it or finished it or whatever, I totally get and respect that completely. It would be incredible though, I'm sure.

Anyways, all the praise for this. You guys rock so very much.
Guest chapter 22 . 11/18/2014
Great job to both authors! Loving this story, combines tech with magic :) Especially psions(reminds me of Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, only further into the future?)
Though magicians here don't seem to have quite such a good life, they become things rather than persons... Luckily Captain Kurogane is there to save the day :)
Wondering how it will continue? Where have they arrived? Is it another planet that can support life? A new Earth so to say? Also, can the Mihara track them? So many questions!
ClearMortality chapter 22 . 8/25/2014
I seriously have no idea why I put off reading this for so long. Now I /know/ it was a mistake to do so.

Words simply aren't enough to describe how I feel about this story. It's like a complete mess of "OMG OMG I LOVE THIS" and "erhmahgerd that plot!" and "Kyaaaaaaa! *dies*" and "OMG WHERE IS THAT NEXT BUTTON?!" xD

I seriously adore this fic. I do not regret losing sleep over this. Nope; those few hours spent reading this were well spent. I love how, in the end, it wasn't Kurogane or Yuui who saved everyone, but Fai and Mokona! I could hug the life out of you for that awesome twist at the end.

But the events leading to it were so amazing that I'm /still/ processing some of them xD First, there was that AMAZING 'jailbreak'. Then there was Yuui's all too amazing escape from Earth (like seriously, for an amateur, he did quite well). Then there was his kinetic abilities (which I simply cannot get over) and his devotion to Fai (you have no idea how many times I squealed over how amazingly cute the love between the twins are).

AND OF COURSE, the lovable moments between Kurogane and Yuui. AND THAT PLOT TWIST ABOUT KUROGANE MY GOD. You just blew away my brain.

I seriously feel like I have a hangover or something. My brain's still in the "Not Quite Paradise fantasy" land. I'm more than sure I'll be revisiting this story in the future and rereading everything xD I'm still amazed how REALISTIC you and Reikah made this. All the information, the history, the descriptions; it's like you were there! Or it's like you actually took lessons on how to make amazing sci-fi stories.

I'm hoping to see another collaboration between you and Reikah (and possibly some other authors) in the future. If one of you can cook up an amazing fic, what more for two or three working together? :))))

For now, I shall dutifully wait for the sequel and, even though it hasn't been published (I think), I can already tell it'll be amazing.
Shane chapter 22 . 7/12/2014
Holy shit! The seemingly crazy one saved them all!
Sephyrah chapter 22 . 3/9/2014
I really like this! Such a shame it seems it never got finished. Anyway just wanted to give you both thumbs up.
drana0 chapter 22 . 10/27/2013
This story has such an interesting concept, it is intriguing and a very refreshing AU. Your character design is very well done and I really like the crew's interaction :) Thanks for this story
Guest chapter 22 . 9/23/2013
im still waiting for the continuation of this. ow my heart waits in agony. please. please. please don't discontinue this. :((
Jenmoon1 chapter 22 . 9/21/2013
love it
fierysuzaku chapter 22 . 7/15/2013
Wow. Just wow. I'm not much of a fan of Scifi but wow. This was really awesome. Both of you who constructed this world deserve five stars for this. The characters were well developed I love the way they interacted with each other, it was so natural.

I have to confess, one of the reasons why I read this was because it featured the twins... I rarely come across stories featuring them with Kurogane... I initially thought, threesome. *guilty as charged* I'm still hoping for that threesome actually. XD

Before you pointed out that Fai only recognized Sakura and Syaoran because of "similarities" between them and the people within the facility (you're right, I don't know how he confused Sagara with Syaoran at all), clones NEVER actually crossed my mind (weird, I know), in fact I thought Fai could see them through dimensions... so I thought he saw the Syaoran in TRC where he took Yuui's eye out... which was why he panicked like that.

I'm also quite curious with Kurogane considering he's technically from the past and I'm guessing his relations with the people in Triad have something more significant...

Overall, it was a VERY good read, and I'm telling you this because I basically devoured this in one day... AND imagine my utter horror to see this one to have a sequel... it was like X/1999 manga all over again... BUT I've seen your other works (the series) and I think I could see the sequel coming out and being completed. Please, I've seen far too much good stories get discontinued, it breaks my heart a little, and I really hope to read the continuation in the future.

Thank you for the lovely read.
hola chapter 22 . 7/9/2013
Hey there i love all your fics and this is awesome indeed ;P ..Please update as fast as you can ..
Alowl chapter 22 . 2/4/2013
A wonderful story. Utterly amazing. Words cannot express the sheer quality of the epic you've brought to life here. I especially loved Fai - how he's so *broken*, but at the same time, almost frighteningly sane - and disturbingly powerful. I hope to see more Fai/Kurogane/Yuui interactions in the next installment in this series; I think the three of them - would be good together.
Guest chapter 22 . 2/4/2013
Writhing in delicious agony! I still can't get over how utterly fantastically brilliant this story is. Every time I reread it its brilliant. Oh god, I am so excited for the continuation now that they are in uncharted territory, Mokona has been brought to her...its...potential and Fai wow Fai... I hope Yuui soon gets it that his brother isn't as crazy as he fears. There is indeed a method to his madness. Sooo incredibly excited! I'd seriously have a boner for this story if I could (hi, that's not incredibly creepy).

Thank you for sharing this story, it is an incredible ride, and I greatly look forward to reading the continuation.

-too lazy to sign in,
Chubby-King-Chocobo
pseudo-quill chapter 22 . 2/2/2013
OMGFDMIMFIMSFDJSNGOINGF—

TAHT WAS AWOESOME OMG I CNAT EVEN TPYE PROEPERLY ANYMOSRE. This is me right now:"It seemed almost profane to speak, to disturb the silence with more than a breath, but at last they tore themselves away from the unfamiliar sky" TO POST A REVIEWWWWW.

Okay, I'm trying to organize the quivering fragments that is my combusted mind right now. In an excess of oxygen, my brain reacts to form COMBUSTION FORMULAAAA. Did you know that the combustion of hydrogen is often used in spaceships? As you can see, I am clearly failing at reordering my brain... I KNEW IT! I KNEW YUUI WOULD FISH SYAORAN BACK IN WITH HIS MAD BRAIN SKILLS. What's a kinetic for if not fishing things out of everywhere e.g. freighters out of the sky, furniture off the floor, people out of space?

Btw, I really REALLY loved how you wrote Fai's POV. I like how the caps (or lack thereof) kinda create that fragmented, confused-dream atmosphere. And then it skips to lucidity and back to the non-caps. And I particularly love how whenever anyone else is speaking "in quotation marks like this" the caps are always in place even if the rest of the paragraph is in the not-caps phase. It kinda highlighted the difference between OUTSIDE Fai's head and inside. And I don't know if its intentional, but I think its genius how when Fai is DESCRIBING what's going on, the caps are all in place, but when he's thinking about it/processing it in relation to himself then it goes back to the not-caps. I don't even know if I'm making sense. One example: "She sits on her throne full of power, but there is another chair in the bridge with no console in front of it, no computer for its holder to stare at." And then within the same paragraph it shifts to: "he is clairvoyant but he is invisible, invisible as the machines in a colony's upper atmosphere, and he descends the steps wondering."

Btw, if you haven't realized yet, this is going to be a long review because this is awesome and its ending and its awesome and thus I've no willpower to cut down on rambling. And then with FAI AND KURO AND MOKONA I DIED. When I was first reading it, I missed the beginning stages of Mokona's humor (just like Kurogane) because I was just in this state of shock. And even when Fai patted Kurogane on the head I was just like 0A0 at the screen. I think I only kinda got back to myself when Yuui was like "I feel like I just attended six New Year's parties at once." And then I kinda snapped from the shock and the tension and started LAUGHING HYSTERICALLY because THAT'S EXACTLY HOW I FELT. And then when I reread it a second time, I was just laughing the whole way through because the mental image of Kurogane just FREAKING OUT and Fai just going all "I fixed it. You broke it. Naughty boy," and being all calmly patronizing and PATTING HIM ON THE HEAD, and then Mokona calling him Fai-chama. And "We apologize for any inconvenience caused by saving your life" and "His favourite color is "Why are you asking me that?"" AND SHOW ME YOUR SWORD BY MARTIAN BAREFOOT QUARTET. I actually went to search if there was such a song...

I don't know if the innuendo is intended. But Yuui should tease him about it to the ends of time. "SHOW ME YOUR SWORD, I KNOW YOU WANT TO KURO-LEWD. IT'S YOUR FAVOURITE RIGHT?"

I really, really feel like I just attended six New Year's parties at once. And not just any New Year's parties. Six Yuuko-hosted CLAMP New Year's parties. The Mokonas are bouncing off the insides of my skull, and Kurogane is firing hama-ryou-jin at them as they run. Watanuki is stomping around on the soft tender matter of my brain with drinks and snacks. And the X dragons are warring. Its an apocalypse of funny in there. That's like the last part of this chapter, a chaotic apocalypse of funny that kinda leaves you in a stunned shocked state. I'm in shock. Look, I have a blanket.
yumeniai chapter 22 . 2/1/2013
Wow. Wow, wow, wow. Loved this, it was intense at times yet very dreamy and perfect for the genre. Kurogane's full past is excellent, definitely looking forwards to the next installment!
Subscribing to Reikah now XD!