Reviews for After Life
Skyfullofstars chapter 3 . 12/17/2011
Okay, you will get this as a PM, but I finally found a chapter Review box that would let me post this - so you might get two copies.

After reading - and yes, RE-reading this part of your story arc, I feel I need to go to Grief Counseling.

If I were to pick out the phrasing that makes this work brilliant ...I would have to cut and paste the entire 12 chapters here - right here.

If I were allowed to choose just one, two or three or even a paragraph of phrasing that made me catch my breath and A-C-H-E inside for John...I would not be able to do it. Again, with the cutting and pasting nearly every Damned Word.

So all I can say is this: I've read a few John-centric stories centered around the great hiatus ... and I would put yours - at the very TOP OF THE STACK ... and then rent an empty hall somewhere and round up all of your worshipers - which would definitely overflow out into the parking lot and all the surrounding areas...and then, and only then, you would be seated up front with a microphone, and asked to read the entire work to all of your Fans...the applause would go on into next Tuesday.

It would be a bonus that every attendee receives a box of Kleenex at the front door.

And that's all I have to say about that. YOU ! YOU ! YOU ! (please write AFTER LOVE) soon...I don't want any Christmas gifts...just more of your wonderful imagery .
Mirith Griffin chapter 12 . 12/16/2011
John closing himself in around his dead friend's ashes is one of the saddest things I've ever read in my life.

Brilliant; brilliant; heart-breaking and brilliant.
Mirith Griffin chapter 11 . 12/16/2011
I just want to say what you already know, which is that I bawled like a baby over this chapter. Seriously. This thing took me off at the knees. I got to the third sentence and it was game, set, match.

You are deeply, deeply talented. Who else writes "this place of desperate wishes?" "The faint residue of danger on his lips, shining like sugar?"

This wrecked me: "Now all of it sits discarded, strewn about the flat like wreckage, each object aching from days of sitting, waiting to be picked up by a set of slender fingers, made into something useful and beautiful." The last part reminded me of the Marge Piercy poem, "To Be of Use." It's an optimistic poem. This chapter is its sobering converse.

And what about the amazing journey you take us on in this sentence? "He floats in an endless, all-encompassing emptiness, like the plains of the Afghan desert, the shroud of London fog, the bleakness of the Moors, the bare expanse of (his) bones."

Or the last two words here? "The blank void at the bottom side of his soul where nothing lives, only waits."

Or your meditation on blackness, after the earlier one on whiteness?

Then there's the terrible transcendence of John's body "turn[ing] into transparence, fading into shadow" as he reverts to his component quarks. Transcendence in fanfic tends to be restricted to sex scenes. You turn that convention on its head.

So, yeah. Not a big crier. But this kind of writing merits tears, and I've cried a river over it. Excellent, excellent work, my friend.
Skyfullofstars chapter 12 . 12/16/2011
You are killing my very soul...

Fortunately, I happen to think that's a GOOD thing when it comes to Fic in this Wonderful Fandom...which is slowly driving me crazy by the way..

YOU!
Jodi2011 chapter 12 . 12/15/2011
Oh hell, you've written more, and re-written previous chapters. This entire story is heartbreaking and I will have to summon up the courage to go back and reread these haunting passages - and that's the highest compliment I could possibly make.

His fingers trace the lines of (his) name. The tiny letters ripple against his skin like a shivering breath. Closing his eyes, he clutches (his) bones against his chest, his heartbeat silent in the dark... bleak and heartwrenching, my very soul aches for poor John.

I do so hope these two are soon reunited?
ongreenergrasses chapter 11 . 12/12/2011
NOOOOOO how could you?

As long as they get reunited, I'll be okay. This is some masterful angst. Great job :)
Skyfullofstars chapter 11 . 11/26/2011
Just...no words...utterly completely wrenching ...

and now I must go read Sherlock's part of the great hiatus story...Thank you for posting this.

Wonderful...utterly wonderful...
Skyfullofstars chapter 7 . 11/26/2011
Your writing is breaking my heart...deep breath...** going ou to read some more. **

This is utterly genius...
Skyfullofstars chapter 1 . 11/22/2011
Just discovered your story and looking forward to going home from work soon, making myself a cuppa, sitting down to READ.

Thank you for posting. Looks excellent so far and so very promising.
SeenaC chapter 11 . 10/19/2011
I don't know how it is that I'd never found this story before.

Very few fanfics move me to tears, but yours has. Your study of grief is intensly moving and so very accurate. The details of how objects take on a multitude of meanings in a loved one's (permanent) absence. The confusing array of emotions that build up such solid walls between one's self and the rest of the world. The world becomes alien, because They Can't Understand.

Such grief is truly life-changing, you are never the person you were before it. Wondering how it will work out when (he) comes back.

This is a truly amazing work of art. It touched me deeply.
HOS70 chapter 11 . 9/28/2011
Your author's note at the beginning of the chapter scared me quite a lot and I almost didn't read any further. The chapter turned out not quite as "bad" as I had feared, but very, very sad all the same. I simply can't see how Sherlock can ever make all this time spent in utter desperation up to John. Ever.
Rachel Lyse Brook chapter 11 . 9/27/2011
As i'm reading this, the song Life After You by Daughtry plays on repeat in my head.

This is beautiful.

So Heart Wrenchingly Beautiful.

I look foward to reading After Death and After Love.

Yours Truly,

The Nephynix
Jodi2011 chapter 11 . 9/27/2011
But he is tired of fighting. There is no one left to save...

No true John, there is you. And you deserve to be saved :)

I have loved every word of this story. With its rich language, haunting imagery and heartbreaking prose I have felt every emotion of poor broken John. But surprisingly I find the end uplifting and full of hope. I know John has left 221B to return to his depressing bland flat, but I see it as the first decisive step he's taken since (he) left.

Thank you for a good read, it can't have been easy to write. N

Now onward to read Sherlock's story. Will I be able to forgive him for what he's done to John? Doubtful, extremely doubtful.
melstewarthm chapter 11 . 9/27/2011
I was just thinking of you today and of this fic and I open my email... voila! New chapter! Made my day!
claire chapter 10 . 9/20/2011
this is absolutely beautiful.
59 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »