Reviews for The Serpent Cycle: Severus
The Power Of Names chapter 14 . 1/11
When this started, I was surprised that it was a series of journey entries. It was addicting though. Couldn't stop until the end was reached and now on to the next part.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/3/2014
That you show James and the Mauraders as bullies, yes yes I headcanon it (hell it's IN the canon.)

That the Shrieking Shack incident is viewed by Sev as an attempt on his life - YES. All the more traumatizing due to the brush-it-under-the-rug attitude by superiors. Because in great part due to this, I will always read Sev in PoA as being tormented with flashbacks and trauma that year, and being in fully fledged traumatic rage mode at the end (and he STILL tries to save the kids.)

In SWM, I personally agree with some essay and fic writers that Sev was basically (near?) tortured (scourgify; waterboarding?) and borderline/actually sexually harassed ('pants' being underwear, being exposed, and on boys in some boys' cultures not usually seen in the same light as it would be seen if the exact same thing happened to a girl... so I see no difference, personally.) And so he uses the Rowlingverse equivalent of a racial slur - mudblood. Which is horrid and awful and I don't argue that... just, can't help but also ponder, in a school environment where Slytherins are labelled evil from age eleven, and a poor slytherin half-blood in a house HUGELY known for blood puritanism and rich families, a poor slytherin half-blood raised in a muggle village/slum/whatever... surely it's not so surprising that the thought of being publicly 'rescued' by a muggleborn gryff would trigger anxiety over socio-political standing amongst slytherin house. That's what slytherin's about! And yeah it'd still be awful, terrible, and completely understandable for him to beat himself up continuously over it... just, in public, tortured and exposed, accepting help from someone who already has his house looking down their noses at him? Let alone her earlier insistance that Sev get rid of his slytherin friends like avery and mulciber... yeah, house mates who, if they don't share the dorm room, know where he sleeps, and have a massive effect. on his socio-political standing during and especially after school.

Not that joining a racist terrorist death cult was inevitable or the right thing to do. Far from it. But geez, that cult was recruiting kids still attending school. Especially ambitious slytherins who want to get things done, important things, things that matter (no matter if they are glorified in the process, that's a gryph thing.) So utterly sad how some corrupted folks of the Old Boys' Club got fresh young lonely teenaged blood to help kickstart their civil war.

I like to think, as best he could without blowing his cover, that Sev worked toward rebuilding what slytherin ambition and resourcefulness could mean, in a healthier way, as he settled into being head of house. Not too obviously, sigh, no. But paint more obvious and varied options. Attempt to redeem the snakes so they wouldn't follow the same mistakes again and again and again. It's why I prefer him as house leader over slughorn, though arguably slughorn was better at the classic style of "right connections" and "old boys' club" and so forth. Sev had some of that through DE contacts... but surely tried to point out other worthy ambitions of greatness and power.
Jarek chapter 2 . 2/2/2014
Though not my headcanony-type exactly (this means it's harder for me to like the characterization) I just LOVE your portrayed teenager Sev. Heartbroken over his first love, unrequited love, darker urges, confused kid/teen, depressed, suicidal ideation, self harm, outcast, desperate to fit in, incredible intellectual, introverted, dealing with leftover internalized Christian guilt, angry... no it's not happy or strong but it's so raw and REAL to me. These journal entries could have been my own at that age, or close to it. The way you've captured his turmoil and how he gets led down the path to the Bad Crowd screams truth. Screams "LOOK AT ME." Except not in a notice-me way... but in a see-what-I've-done-and-am way.
Snape's little Slytherin chapter 14 . 5/8/2013
Hi! This is very GOOD! I've been hooked since the first sentence and it’s going into my favorites so I can read it again. This was really a great story. I loved how you worked with the canon of the whole series to explain why certain things came about to be in the Half-Blood Prince’s book and to explain the bits of Severus’s character as an adult. There were times that I teared up due to Severus’s pain and I wanted to hug him. I really can see these events happening in Severus’s canon, in fact some parts are making their way into my head canon.
This was wonderfully written. I like what you did with Severus, but I also like how you portrayed the other canon characters. James was such a jerk and Dumbledore did nothing about it, so true. I liked Evan’s characterization; it’s how I picture him. Loved the relationship between Severus and his father and how Severus dealt with it, very perfect of someone suffering from abuse. Sad but true.
As for Tisi, I think she was my favorite besides Severus – of course. She was very well written, real, and interesting as an OC… my favorite kind! I really loved how you ended it; if only she had told him that she loved him!
Very well done. I’ll be recommending to friends and reading again soon. I’m off to read the next part! Cheers!
Saint Snape chapter 14 . 11/24/2012
It's no wonder he was all covered up and buttoned up. So much emotion and pain he had to keep inside.

It's really sad when someone loves as deeply as Severus; when no one can ever take the place of that one person. It's unfortunate that he couldn't find love with Tisi. I wonder if she had told him she loved him if it would have made a difference?

You did a great job showing us all the angst and pain he was in. It was almost too much to bear.
Saint Snape chapter 13 . 11/24/2012
Poor Severus has realized he has other disfunctional family as bad or worse than his own and he's trapped.
Saint Snape chapter 12 . 11/24/2012
"My girlfriend is an unregistered Animagus - she turns serpent and bites me – and I am likely to die from her venom-"! Shall I say that?"

Yikes, he has gone to hell in a handbasket, lol.
Saint Snape chapter 11 . 11/24/2012
So Tisiphone did take the mark. Hmmm, I was wrong.
Saint Snape chapter 10 . 11/24/2012
Voldy was just brilliant. He knew just what to say to Severus to suck him right in.

Is Tisiphone muggle born? She really seems like she doesn't want to have anything to do with Voldy and doesn't want Severus mixed up with him either.
Saint Snape chapter 4 . 11/24/2012
Severus was just ripe for the picking for the Death Eaters. I wonder if Lily ever knew how much she had to do with his decision to join them? If James Potter had ever really changed I would have thought he would have been ashamed of how he treated Severus and others and apologized. I don't think he ever really changed. I think he just managed to cover it up and Lily was stupid and bought the whole act.
Saint Snape chapter 3 . 11/24/2012
"And now my plan to learn Occlumency will only further push people away from me forever. So be it. Good then that I did. Good than that I cannot further hurt her. I was not meant to love. I will wall up my heart forever. So. Be it."

That just makes me want to cry. :(

How can anyone think that 4 boys continually ganging up on one boy is all fun and games? Happening once; maybe but all the time it's criminal. Dumbledore should have been fired and the whole staff replaced.
Saint Snape chapter 2 . 11/24/2012
How can no one see what agony Severus is going through? Where are all the teachers? I really hate James. Veritaserum isn't something to play with either. You only use 3 drops, using more could really hurt someone. Was Dubledore seduced by James and Sirius's good looks? You really have to wonder sometimes.
Saint Snape chapter 1 . 11/24/2012
That was just sad. Dumbledore has much to answer for with Severus and other Slytherins who because of his neglect turned to Voldermort. I will always detest James and the Mauraders. I wonder if they destroyed other student's lives as well as Severus'?
Iva1201 chapter 1 . 11/19/2012
I am really looking forward to this now - it seems equally good written as part 2. But I will probably only start reading in the next days... A pity really.
DaughterOfAres chapter 3 . 9/5/2012
Can we have a bonfire and roast the Marauders? Please? I'll bring the marshmallows!