Reviews for Tug of War
Auua Ytjoml chapter 1 . 3/30
Gunpowder is better than acid warfare but still... well written and thought provoking.
SomeoneI'mSure chapter 1 . 8/18/2012
I should have read this before starting on the Third book of TSW. A little bit of backstory certainly clears things up.

It's amazing how you keep everything consistant - if I haven't said that enough already. Wonderful.
allthingsbright chapter 1 . 8/26/2011
Scarey! :-/

Sathara's death was pretty horrific. Are you going to write more? :)
Quaver Ava chapter 1 . 8/19/2011
Sathara died a pretty nasty death. I actually cringed when she was thrown into the vitriol. And to have Mona witness it just adds to that one horrific moment. Throw the rest of the story out right there and you still have a epic story, granted it would be a tragic one, but still freaking amazing. Put the rest of the story back into it and wow I gotta say you rule in writing.

I really don't feel like giving you an essay on how much I love your writing now, so I hope you're content with this silly review.

Highwing chapter 1 . 8/12/2011
Ayup, Eulie, you're right.
Eulaliaaaa chapter 1 . 8/12/2011
Oh I get it. The thing that blew up the ship in The Shrew War part 2 was that firework powder stuff, only more advanced. PLease let me know if I'm right Highwing.
Cozziellamas chapter 1 . 8/5/2011
Ugh. Boo, creepy foot doctor! If you catch what I mean. Acid, what a horrible death. I like how you illustrated this one, then again, I say that every time I review your stories... It kinda gave my the Heebidy Buhgeebidies, or how ever that's spelled. Really, a skin crawly story. And since you didn't finish it, I get to wonder how it ends! Yay! Huh,I can imagine what Tratton could do with such a weapon... *Shivers, and hides under blanket* Thank you for writing yet another awesome story!

Ever the faithful,

Abess Aruba Skytalon, Abbess and Recorder of Redwall Abbey
aksjdygwkfb chapter 1 . 8/4/2011
You are a truly amazing author, wing. I've enjoyed every story you've written, and I can't wait for more!
Samadhir chapter 1 . 8/4/2011
I still remember reading this when it was first published, sometime in late 2002 I think. It was quite the experience and a rather harrowing one. I see that you have chosen to post the shorter, edited version after all. While I don’t quite agree with this choice, I can see why you made it; the storyline with the second group of searats catching up to them and preventing Urthblood from rescuing Trelayne, and the conflict between Shreyesh and Vermond, did indeed drag things on more than they might have been necessary. I still would’ve preferred that version though, and I hope you can post it as a bonus to your avid readers on this site sometime in the future. In the meantime, if anyone is interested, the older version can be found here: . ?topic195.0

But onto your story. As always, it’s excellent; exciting, beautifully written, and leaves your appetites whetted for more. Sgt. Sporky wondered what would become of Mona and Trelayne; rest assured, friend, that they will both play an important part in TSW, especially the vixen.

The way you describe the windows and sculptures in Trelayne’s cabin is beautiful; it’s an excellent example of your ability to write engaging descriptions of scenes. Seeing Machus (peace be upon him return) is wonderful, and Urthblood is truly impressive and intimidating. We get our first true glimpse of the Gawtrybe, and they will lend their deadly bows and arrows to the badger’s cause in future stories, believe me. The chase is tense and exciting, and Urthblood is such a frightening opponent that I almost wanted the searats to get away from him, despite their horrible actions. The introduction of Mona is great; here we have another beast with an obvious paranormal power, namely her healing sense, and the way Urthblood can sense how fate may tip her into good or evil truly makes us interested in the character. The whole “arms race”-theme is an excellent plot device, and one that will become fairly obvious in The Shrew War. It truly bodes well for the future of the saga.

But as good as it is, I can’t exactly say that it’s a pleasant read. It’s a fairly dark, serious and tense story, and it’s a good indication of the darker tone that will prevail in The Shrew War, which it leads up to. The description of the vitriol and its effect upon living creatures is truly horrifying. The ruthlessness with which these two foes, searats and woodlanders, pursue and battle truly shows how merciless and unforgiving their war against each other are, and it will only grow in intensity as time goes on. Seeing how Trelayne grows from an utterly peaceful, gentle beast into someone who hates searats with a burning passion, who goes from not wanting to risk anyone’s life by going near the vitriol to wishing that every searat in the world is immersed in it, and pledges himself to Urthblood to turn his previous aesthetic pursuit into a tool of warfare is really sad, and shows just how war and suffering can turn someone cold and hard. It’s the same with the description of how Mona is able to sit close during the swordfoxes’ tactics sessions because she delights in the prospect of bringing death upon the searats, even though its understandable seeing what they did to her sister. As with King Bull Sparra in H:AST, there is the whole “they don’t deserve a burial”-angle, which have always made me uncomfortable. And the epilogue where poor Kaydion is carried away in the submarine to be forced to make weapons for Tratton ends the story on a downer; it seems Trelayne got rescued only for someone else to be the unwilling weapons designer for the searat empire.

On a related note, one thing I’ve always felt about the “vitriol” described in your stories is that it may be a little TOO powerful. The closest I’ve heard about a similar fluid in real life is sulphuric acid, on which I guess this is based. Of course, that acid doesn’t burn away limbs or faces in a matter of seconds, and can be treated by immediately applying water to the affected area. The notion of such an extremely potent brew existing in the Redwall universe, especially in the hands of a simple glassmaker who apparently needs a bathtub-sized vat of the stuff just to etch his sculptures, does come across as a little unrealistic.

But anyway, this is another great story, Wing. Whether it’s in its original, longer form or its new, edited one, it’s still an excellent follow-up to The Crimson Badger, and a wonderful lead-up to The Shrew War. Now I can finally start reviewing the second part of your magnum opus. See you there!
Sgt. Sporky chapter 1 . 7/31/2011
T'was a sad story we read here this day, my fine feathered friend. Hm, can glass etching stuff really do that? I can see how Urthblood would see this situation. Ever the strategists, aren't we?

Heh. It always happens this way, doesn't it? A simple, peaceful, enjoyable novelty turns into a deadly weapon. Brilliant scientists working for peace and enjoyable life for all instead have their inventions adapted for war, like Alfred Nobel (dynamite) and Albert Einstein (who, if I remember correctly, said the atomic bomb was his greatest mistake). In fact, your little fireworks story is pretty close to how the Chinese first came on rockets- launching fireworks at enemies. It seems that's how we discover these things, eh? Accidentally.

A few minor grammar issues, but nothing big. I loved the story as per usual, however sad it was. And speaking of sad stories, I've found a song that suits Machus' funeral- White Cliffs of Dover. Anywho. I wonder what will become of Mona and this little marten, huh? I don't think Ara would like him, but whatever. Hm.

We all have an innate power or talent of some kind, something that we're just oddly good at with no reasonable explanation. Not necessarily anything useful, or even ever to be found, but it's there. Mona's a natural healer, Machus a natural fighter, Urthblood a natural strategist, I'm a natural musician (or so I've been told- I don't think I'm that good), and you (appear to be) a natural writer.

Well, it's good to have you back old chap! Post again soon!
Killy-S chapter 1 . 7/31/2011
I don't even know where to start with this one. It is violent, terribly sad, the whole bit.

Really melting vixens and searats, it worries me when you come up with things like this.

And that poor pine marten.

Lovely fic. Curious as to what happens to sweet little Mona.