Reviews for Best Intentions
AllThingsInsane chapter 1 . 5/23/2012
This episode just pulled at my heartstrings in more ways than one: The emotional aspect of it-which there were many:

The phone call: When Ben called Dean and told him what was happening, you could just see the look on Dean's face and it was like his worst nightmare was coming true. I felt so sorry for him because it was physically impossible for him to do anything other than help Ben the best he could through the phone.

The Rescue: When he thought he was rescuing Lisa and Ben, and Lisa was really possessed by the demon and when the demon stabbed Lisa, the look on his face just broke my heart because he knew that he had to finish the exorcism regardless of her injuries, he had to get the demon out of her and he did. I guess I'm just a softy for the comforting side of Dean because like, when he called her 'honey' and everything, it just made me even sadder.

I think that what happened on the way out, when Ben had to shoot those guys and handle the shotgun, I think that cemented Dean's belief that it was a mistake to ever involve them in his life, and that even though he loved them, it was time to let them go. I think he made his mind up way before he got to the hospital and talked to Cas.

Any other way and it wouldn't have worked. Lisa was still attached to him, she still wanted to be with him but knew it would never work out, and this way she can go back to her life.

But one question and please let me know what you think: Does erasing their memories erase everything else? Like, will the demons still know about them? Crowley? Or when Castiel erased their memories, it reached the demons, too? Because if not, the demons can still go after them only this time, they won't know what the hell is going on. And what about the weapons that Dean left for them to protect themselves with?
Illucida chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
Oh god. This drudged up memories of that episode...I've got tears in my eyes. You did Dean justice. It breaks my heart that Dean had to do it...but he felt it was the only way. (And it was the only way the writers could close the book on Lisa and Ben, so they could have freedom in season 7.)

I just hope, that in the end Lisa and Ben will end up in Dean's life again. That after all the chaos of his life, he'll be able to settle down. Maybe live in South Dakota next to Bobby (and Sam. Sam has to be the next door neighbor.)

'Cause even if the Lisa and Ben don't know who Dean is, they're still in danger. Fuglies will still come after them, because the monsters know of their connection to Dean. Now they're even less protected, because they won't know to call Dean. :(

I'm sorry. This turned into a huge conversation (that I'm hoping to hear response to). Back to your story! You did a lovely job.

Illucida
twobrothers chapter 1 . 8/21/2011
Sacrifice is always noble but difficult. You write of Dean's feelings in a poignant way.
CriesofCapricorn chapter 1 . 8/3/2011
This story really put his motives in perspective. I like how you said he did to return their innocence. That's all Dean's ever wanted for the people he loves (Sam in Something Wicked or his speech to dead!Sam in AHBL2).

Lovely piece!
SupernaturallyEgocentric chapter 1 . 8/3/2011
great story - you're right, JA was amazing in that scene.
Pinkchick chapter 1 . 8/3/2011
I liked Lisa and Ben and was really sad to see them go. They were always my hope for Dean to have the love of a woman and the admiration and respect of a child. Alas, he's just one guy who can't catch a break.

Wonderful story. Truly heartbreaking and sad how you conveyed all that Dean never wanted for Ben and yet what came to pass. I don't 100% agree with what he did to give them back their lives, but sadly I still understood what was going through his mind when he made his decision. You wrote this very well!

Thanks for sharing!
irismay42 chapter 1 . 8/3/2011
Poor Dean. It just seems that he can never have what he wants, even when he's not sure he wants it until it's gone. While taking Lisa and Ben's memories away wasn't probably his finest hour, you did a good job of showing his reasoning behind it, and the sacrifice he felt he was making in doing it. Impossible situation to be in.

I liked how you highlighted him telling Ben at the beginning of the season that he'd never handle a gun, then virtually forcing one on him at the end. Heat of the moment decision for Dean, and a practical one, but, as you pointed out, how like John it makes him.
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 8/2/2011
I read the same article.

You did another awesome job of capturing Dean's thoughts to share with us.

I think I'm in the minority as you know how I felt about Lisa and Ben, but Jensen did make me feel sorry for Dean in the final scenes.

Thanks for sharing your tag with us.

Hope all is well and you finally got your vacation.

Until next time, take care.