Reviews for The Paths Diverge
Tankinator175 chapter 12 . 23h
Yes I noticed everything you mentioned, but mostly just chalked it up to wizards being bloody stupid. Good job with the story, and may you succeed in all your literary endeavors. I know I'm not succeeding at all with mine.
Tankinator175 chapter 7 . 23h
I did the same thing. I learned to read before I turned three, and my favorite book was an encyclopedia. By the time I began kindergarten I had an eighth graders vocabulary, in seventh grade my reading level was far beyond a college textbook. I'm about to begin eighth grade, and I have the highest SRI my English teacher has ever seen, and it's still growing. I can also use fourty letter words in the right context, and my nickname in school is Human Google. People regularly ask me questions just to see if they can find one I can't answer.
Ha. Those are wizards. They can easily put all things needed to little Harry. Warming charms. Sleeping charms. Notice-me-not charms. Anything I cannot think of right now.
Yet, I like your story.
Thanks.
:-)
I don't know how you can see Cinderella (at least the Disney version) as a bad role model for girls. She stays true to herself while being abused and as soon as she sees an opportunity to get out she takes it with two hands and doesn't let go. The prince isn't rescuing her, in fact he has nearly no agency in the whole movie.

To the fanfic: You say you didn't want to bash anyone but honedtly, you do. Not as bad as some others but the characters still seem more like objects to rant at than people who happened to have made mistakes.
Vasillia chapter 17 . 7/6
Completely hilarious story! Thank you for writing it. :)
"As Sirius wasn't a LeStrange, there wasn't, but the fact that Rodolphus was serving a lifetime prison sentence was enough to claim a Breach Of Contract, according to
the Goldstein's, the price for which was the token amount of one item from the LeStrange Vault."

Inner law student dances a jig.
Third consecutive comment. Your story does make me think. Good job!

This chapter just highlighted a peeve that I had with GoF. The magical contract is so hokum, for lack of a better word. I am a law student, and I suppose it itches more when one really understands how ridiculous it actually seems, legally. For example, in the simplest terms, a contract is an agreement which creates legal obligations. Here, what the officials seem insistent upon are the legal (or magical) obligations. What they seem to blatantly miss is the lack of agreement. As we see later, Barty Crouch Jr had entered Harry's name under another school by hoodwinking the goblet, which in fact shows that if it had been investigated, the age meant would be obviously void as Harry Potter was a student of only Hogwarts school. Obviously this was not known at the time, but when Harry's name does come out of the goblet, he and he denies putting his name in, the contract should have been voided under the following grounds anyway:

1. It was a minor's agreement. Minors are not allowed to contract. There was an age line explicitly to disallow minors.
2. Generally speaking, if there is suspected fraud, people verify signatures, identies, trails etc. they could have checked out Harry's handwriting as well as any magical signature that created an agreement with the magical object.
3. Illegal agreements cannot be a contract, i.e. they cannot be legally enforced (I can't ask someone to manufacture cocaine in exchange of a sum of money, and sue them if they renege on the terms of the agreement). Similarly, when the legal terms as overseen by the ministry of magic (which doe look into minutiae to the level of cauldron bottom thicknesses), are clearly violated by a 14 year old being entered into a tournament only meant for wizarding adults, legal obligations can't arise, and the agreement is void. The triwazard tournament organisers seem to be violating their own rules.

Okay, so this wasn't constructive criticism of your story, but the contract bit does get me agitated.
Further to my previous comment, I think Lupin was hired by Dumbledore only because Sirius Black escaped. Dumbledore wanted to ensure that Remus Lupin was not involved in Sirius' escape and wanted to keep an eye on him. The fact that Dumbledore hired Lupin for a job he knew was cursed, further suggests this. Dumbledore refused to hire Snape as the DADA teacher until he knew how Snape's tenure in that position would end. Snape was too valuable a tool for Dumbledore to lose to the DADA curse until then, even though he applied every year, and would have definitely been better than Umbridge.
You know, I am not sure whether Nazi and Nazi sympathisers did get a fair trial. Is it ever possible to get a fair trial from the other side? Now I know I'll likely be hounded for saying this, but let's take the emotions out of it and think - the victor always writes history. Also, just to clarify: I am in no way a Nazi sympathiser, and had I been living in Nazi Germany, would have been a part of the population that was purged as an "inferior race" for being a non-blonde haired, blue eyed "Aryan". That said, I doubt Dumbledore actually thought Sirius was innocent, but likely did not really bother anyway, as it was essential in his opinion to raise Harry under certain circumstances, that could enable him to play him the way he wished.
Hmason chapter 11 . 5/27
if he had removed harry's ribcage he would be dead
MSgt SilverDollar and Snake chapter 4 . 5/22
Arthur Weasley is a disaster waiting to happen when he is in the Muggle world. All Weasleys leave a bit to be desired when it comes to normal. ~~ Snake ~~
how dare u disre chapter 10 . 5/14
I only hate one thing more than Ron-bashers, and that's self-insert Mary-Sues.
Heh, I've probably read it in the past, but I just have to check out your Backside story b/c yeah, most of the "romances" in Twilight are major creepy.
I read this story once/twice *ages* ago and have thought fondly of it now and again, but JUST THE OTHER DAY I remembered it and wanted to reread it...then BAM, today I (re)found it. YAY! This has increased my happiness quotient in a right nice way. happy grin
I can totally see Arthur treating muggles like well-trained clever monkeys.
1,596 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »