Reviews for Open Ears & Open Eyes
daftheed chapter 1 . 7/6
Hey, you. i finally started readiing this story and i am now, officially, up to date. I even kepot notes of lines i liked and set ups i enjoyed, and really went over it.

First of all, i love the way you open it and the way you introduce Amy to us and her isolation. YOu pull it off without making it depressing, instead treating it like a theme, a passive, ever present thing.

Your opening line "It was a cold, dreary morning in November..." immediately got my attention. Can i hazard to suppose you've read 1984? I ask because it opens with a similar flourish: "Its was a bright, cold day in April, and the clocks were striking 13." If so, thats fantastic, and i was right on board from that moment on.

I also liked the way you mirrored, but didnt copy, the way AMy is introduced on the show, showing her get repeatedly ticked off by the Doctors delays, and making her side of it more sympathetic than merely comical as it was on the show itself.

Its to your stories credit that i cant remember every single adventure, cus theres so many. The first few run arounds are nice, setting the tone, and the first 'proper' story, with Marie Antoinette, wwas nicely done and i was impressed with how you held in the air why all those objects were in the room, from the DOctors time.

I was very taken in by the story in the museum, and Amys time in the dark. in my opinion, much scarier and suspensful than what we saw in Flesh and Stone.

A little note i made was the Doctors real name over the name John because "Its a boring name". my name is actually john, and i noted it down just to tell you now: YOu are correct, haha.

MY favourite story in here though was of the underground people, cut off from the above. its the stuff of deep nightmares. THe characters you wrote in there were the most believable and fleshed-out of them all, and in so few lines, too. I also found it humourous at how fascinated all the locals found Amys hair. THe way it ended, and the way you describe AMys aftermath is amongst your best lines to page, my friend.

One other tidbit line i found interesting:When we meet Katherine, the woman obsessed with learning about the Angels, she describes the punishment they inflict as "A life and a death sentence". Now, as well as being a very neat and concise expression, its also a phrase ive heard before. I remember it being used to describe what happened to Salman Rushdie after he published 'THe SAtanic Verses'. iM not unhappy, i love the line, and im glad you were fortunate enough to have a concept that could be so described :).

"Amy thought that she didn't really want to take him anywhere, but didn't want to come across as being impolite to the new guests."

If there was a line that better described the british sense of character, ive yet ot find it. Nicely done :).

The only line i was left truly unimpressed by was when you used the phrase "Collateral Damage" when the Doctor described his plan to kill himself alongside the Daleks. iM not sure why, it just smacked of euphemism to me, where it wasnt needed.

YOu seem to capture, even in and after Chapter 23 when things are more...'peaceful' the way that even then, things keep happening and stay interesting.

I loved Jacks appearance, it was a good choice and perfectly timed. Everything from his banter with the doctor, his constant flirtation with everyone else, especially Amy:

"Amy Pond was no exception. Allusion after allusion to her long legs and her wavy red hair came out of his mouth" You know your Captain Jack. And he helped keep things interesting and add a touch of the dangorous and showcase to the Tardis.

I think one of your fascinating lines, the ones that really made me stop and think about Amy and The Doctor was this one:

"Amelia Pond was fully aware that one of the Doctor’s weak points was his inability to deny her of just about anything"

You seem to have been underlining this too, cus you use 'Amelia' over 'Amy'. ANd i was particularly impressed because it works as commentary on the show itself, the characters, AND your own story.

I noticed, as we reached the current point in the story, you begin to write a little more bravely in terms of language. AMy tells someone to piss off, words like bastard etc. i was glad for it. It was something i wasnt expecting but it fits in with the tone of the story as its been going on.

BUt i think, if there is one particular scene that is written more believable and ingeniously than ever, it is the one at the very end.

Friend, you can write well. YOu can describe a room without getting too purple in your prose, you can set a scene and explain events within it. But i think you transcended yourself with your latest scene. i wont go into to much details but its clear you took a lot more time with it, you let the scene almost write itself, and then? you reveal the cruellest part of all:It was all just show to pickpocket the doctor.

THat scene has me in suspense for every second i was reading , after having Amy at his whim and discretion for so long, it was extremely satisfying to see the shoe not just on the other foot, but kicking with it too. Hard.

ALl this makes me excited for what comes next. i know it was a few months ago sinc eyou pdated it but im sure you know what you're doing :).

General comments:i think you write the scenes well enough, you have the characters themselves down to a tee and their dialogue is believable and funny. i think sometimes you could describe the places their in a wee bit more. Its why i liked Eira 12 so much. Its desolate feel and its isolation and smallness comes across vividly. Other settings, when i think back, are harder to recall. This isnt to say i didnt know where i was, but i sometimes couldnt think of anything fascinating int he places themselves.

Thats probably the only thing that could do with improvement from my point of view. Just getting a feel for the places we're in, what they smell like, what they bbring to the minds of the characters, that sort of thing. (The COffee shop is a good example, because you wrote about it more than once, it gave us time to feel for it)

SPeaking of the coffee shop, it was probably my favourite locale. i used to meet a red haired friend who, oddly enough, really reminds one of Amy Pond, in appearance and personality, in a coffee shop that was nice and homely like the one in this story.

Oh, one other things, Amys reaction to Jack coming back to life was hilarious/

You may wonder, why am i writing such a long review? I am Aspergian Mind, as you must have realised.

Well, i have said to time and time again that i would read this story but i kept putting off. Eventually, i found the time and made sure i read it through to the (not quite) end. I felt bad because i knew i would like the story, i just found its length intimidating.

So, hence this review here. I hope you find it in yout to see this through to the end but hey, take your time and dont rush for anyone.

The only thing ill say more is this:I still am not sure i know of the meaning behind the title. I think about it alot, but ill need to consider it more.

Regards, Aspergianmind :)
Kreiss chapter 28 . 1/21
It's great to know you're still continuing this story! I've really missed it! I look forward to more
daftheed chapter 6 . 2/19/2015
Looking good so far! Ill review as I go, though not every chapter
thelostgirlfoundherhome chapter 26 . 9/24/2014
I love this story so far, so glad jack was included. Can't wait to read more to find out what's happened to amy and the doctor :)
Lucytheloo chapter 25 . 8/24/2014
Amazing! Please update! I want to see if the Doctor and Amy grow any closer
Guest chapter 17 . 8/16/2014
...
Daylight4361 chapter 25 . 8/9/2014
agh! can't wait to see what happens
fanficx chapter 24 . 6/8/2014
please don't tell me you have writers block again! This story is ah-may-zing and you have to finish it! I hope you update sooN!
Lady Asphodelic chapter 24 . 2/14/2014
Awesome chapter dear! :D

I can't wait for the next one! _

And welcome back! Glad to hear from you again! n_n

Hope you update soon!

- Asphodel
Lindsey chapter 24 . 2/8/2014
A couple months ago I started reading your story and honestly thought you had given up on it, but thank god you updated. Great chapter!
Kuroi Kage X chapter 24 . 2/8/2014
Woah, not sure if you remember me but I've been around since you first started postin' this one. I completely thought you were going to put it on perma-hiatus. Glad that's not the case! Don't let the Muse steal you from us readers again :p

Welcome back and great chapter!
ShyandStarryEyed chapter 23 . 1/19/2014
I think this is taking more than a week and a half for an update. I really love this story, and I really do wish you would continue.
Computer Stalker chapter 23 . 9/4/2013
Bloody brilliant! How I found this gem, I'm not sure. But it was certainly a wonderful read, yet albeit; I wish you could update this. ;) No hurry though, if it assures such a high quality of writing again (as I'm sure it will).
Jen chapter 23 . 7/23/2013
Updated soon! Best Amy/11 fanfic!
Guest chapter 22 . 7/23/2013
I just finish reading! I love this story. Live the plot! Please updated! As soon as you can!