Reviews for Fey
WhyMustIWrite chapter 4 . 7/7/2012
It was my pleasure to review- no hardship at all when the story is so wonderful.

I skipped reviewing chapter 4 earlier, which should not be taken as disapproval but rather as weakness on my part. The cliffhanger was such I couldn't bear to pause. I meant to make up for it in the next chapter...and now I realize that if anything I was a bit unkind, implying that the story was bizarre! Though you didn't take it badly, I will also note that it was about 2am, I was already tired, and you succeeded in frightening me just a bit! It is true though, that I dislike feeling bewildered by a story- I acknowledge that it's a personal preference and not a flaw in the writing. (For example, in the Fellowship of the Rings, I really didn't enjoy the portions with Tom Bombadill or the Barrow-wrights because I just didn't get it and it seemed so strange.) However, there is a resolution/explanation for the bizarre things that happened in your story and thus I am quite satisfied.

I heartily agree with you that Faramir's "experience with his father's death and the Black Breath in general really never got a proper sussing out" The fact that you explore that in this story is something I very much appreciate.

You really do excel in characterization! I haven't read much Legolas fanfiction to know how he is generally portrayed, but for myself I know it would be difficult to write him. He is such a nuanced character. In this case, it felt like Legolas could have walked off the pages of Tolkien's "Return of the King" and into your story. (And just fyi- it's only recently that I became a LotR fan. I read "The Hobbit" and all three LotR books (and appendices) in the course of the past few months. I have yet to watch the movies, though I've heard much about them and what they did to Faramir. I'm still new, learning and devouring material related to this universe. I am also just recently exploring what fanfiction has to offer.)

My favorite character by far is Faramir, and sometimes it's difficult to find fanfiction that writes him well and keeps him true to the book. (Sometimes the plot is great, but the characterization feels off- I'm sure the movies are at least partially to blame.) I know that Faramir admits to being less hardy than his brother, but he's not weak and prone to injury and illness. He doesn't love the sword and has a gentle disposition, but it never says that he's shy and timid, or that his self esteem is in the sewers. Succumbing to the power of the Black Breath and feeling grief over his father, does not mean that he's always emotionally fragile, perpetually depressed, or else prone to such rapid mood swings that make him seem bipolar. It seems like people forget that "He is bold, more bold than many deem; for in these days men are slow to believe a captain can be wise and learned in the scrolls of lore and song, as he is, and yet a man of hardihood and swift judgement in the field. But such is Faramir. Less reckless and eager than Boromir, but not less resolute." Your story really highlight these aspects of Faramir's character, so I can't thank you enough!

I guess it's for the best that I skipped reviewing a chapter earlier. I'm much better at expressing myself while fully awake, and this deserved more than a cursory review.
WhyMustIWrite chapter 6 . 7/6/2012
Bravo! This is a gem of a story. In this chapter, I was particularly delighted to learn the identity of Gimli. I love the line "Your father loved you, Faramir. He remembered it before the end." It was great to see the growth in Faramir, his acceptance of his heritage. I meant to remark earlier about the way you brought out his fears (fire, madness) in such a way as to tie it back to his experiences with his father.
Your characterizations are strong and true to Tolkien's work. Faramir himself seems spot-on, as well as Legolas, (fanfiction writers...and movie writers...often seem to fail on both counts).
I wish that in the aftermath Aragorn was featured more prominently. I was looking forward to more interaction- Faramir sharing with him what he'd learned about the nature of his dreams- so I was almost disappointed when Eowyn was the one there when he awoke. Then again, that's probably because I like Aragorn so well. :)
Thank you for sharing such a great story!
WhyMustIWrite chapter 5 . 7/6/2012
I have to say this story has gotten much stranger. As a matter of personal preference, I don't care much for the bizarre or inexplicable, but I hope I'll get to understand more in the next chapter. This is such a creative and well written story.
WhyMustIWrite chapter 3 . 7/6/2012
I love how you display the different characters- Beregond's steadfast devotion and Mablung's forthright companionship in particular. I enjoy the way you distinguish the behavior of the Rangers to that of the White Company. Also, you certainly know how to ensnare readers with a brilliantly suspenseful plot!
WhyMustIWrite chapter 2 . 7/6/2012
I am keen to review, but almost don't know what to say. You've really built up this mystery, and I can't wait to learn more. That closing scene was clever. Faramir, while reasonable enough to acknowledge the possibility of his being ill, still believed he was having visions. Having him suddenly realize that perhaps he couldn't even trust his own mind, that was quite chilling. But then, his affliction seems dissimilar to the others.
WhyMustIWrite chapter 1 . 7/6/2012
What an amazing introduction! This story is riveting right from the start.
IceAngel7 chapter 6 . 5/18/2012
Eep got too excited and read right through to the end! Stayed up very late reading the last three chapters as couldn't sleep without knowing what happened.

Thanks for such a thrilling, quality read - it's rare to read something so beautifully rounded off. A few things I particularly enjoyed were:

- the tense of the story, it really added to the feeling of urgency and strangeness.

- Faramir and Legolas' friendship - subtle but interesting interactions and shifts in power

- The ending was exciting and very well rounded off the mystery _

Thanks again - has been a great week reading this - I'm very sad it's over
IceAngel7 chapter 3 . 5/18/2012
Great to see some small clue revealed _ Enjoying the relationship with Beregond in this story too :)
IceAngel7 chapter 2 . 5/17/2012
Wonderful :) so much suspense. I keep always walking into trees as I read this walking across the park to work in the mornings :p
IceAngel7 chapter 1 . 5/16/2012
Thrilling beginning – spooky and intriguing. So looking forward to reading the rest!
Pants of Mirkwood chapter 6 . 1/23/2012
Awwwwwwwwww, it's over? It was so good! You are an amazing author! This was an amazing plot! The characters you used were amazing! Gah!
Pants of Mirkwood chapter 5 . 1/23/2012
Femurs: more useful than duct tape.

Poor Faramir. He's destined to be a human torch!
Pants of Mirkwood chapter 4 . 1/23/2012
NOOOOOOOOOOO, FARAMIR! WATCH OUT FOR THE ZOMBIES!

This fic is soooo much better than any books I've read lately!
Pants of Mirkwood chapter 3 . 1/23/2012
Faramir is so convincing! I bet he has a Brittish accent... he could walk up to them, stare them in the eye, and say'Give me all your money!' and they WOULD! Hehe.

He's finally going into the swamp! I'm so excited!
Pants of Mirkwood chapter 2 . 1/23/2012
Ooooooh, creepy!

Those darn elves, always using their teleport cheat when you want them to answer questions for you!...

A sims3 reference...