Reviews for Kingdom Up For Sale
ficdirectory chapter 2 . 7/14/2012
I feel like a lifetime of stuff just happened. In incredible, real, amazing, touching lifetime of stuff. From Quinn's panic attack (SO well done!) to Sam's job, dyslexia, sweet siblings, and then Quinn talking to Kurt and Kurt not letting her out of that hug? Amazing. And PS it's a great service you've done to Sam and his siblings to have them seem...intellectual...even that doesn't quite seem the right word, but it's obvious they're interested in learning about the world around them and that all of them are SMART.

- When she glances up at him, her chest constricts, because he's giving her that look. The one she's been getting for almost a year now—like she's breaking apart and everyone can see it but her, and Beth is the light shining through her cracks. -

My favorite few lines! So poetic! Can't wait to see where this goes!
ficdirectory chapter 1 . 7/14/2012
Counterpunch recommended this to me and I am so glad! Sam has never been one of my favorite characters, but your insight makes me understand him a little better, and see him as more than one-dimensional. I love the realistic antagonism and layered situation that is going on between Sam and Quinn. Can't wait to read more!
KelseyO chapter 3 . 5/31/2012
"and just...in what world should she be expected to deal with this?" LOVE THAT LINE. IT'S JUST SO GREAT.

God, every Fabray family headcanon makes me desperately wish for a prequel television series solely about Quinn growing up. SIGH.

"Knowing it and being able to do something about it are two very different things, though, and...well, she's never been very good at apologies." Such a Quinn line. SUCH A QUINN LINE.

"he doesn't doubt her or ask probing questions, wondering if she's fucking *okay*. (She's not.)" That is such a brilliant moment, and I love it.

Just gonna sit here and appreciate that Sam lost his virginity to a girl named Kelsie because yes it's spelled differently but shhhhhhh

"Condom? God, who the fuck do you think I am, Quinn Fabray?" Jeez, that line is brutal.

"her hands are cold and Finn is always, always warm." I love the implications of that contrast. It kinda sums them up perfectly as individuals and as a couple.
KelseyO chapter 2 . 5/27/2012
"She has to make sure she's not the bad guy long before that happens. She'll never forget that she is, but hopefully, if she's lucky, they will." OBLIGATORY CREYS BECAUSE QUINN ANGST.

"It's awkward, at first, but powering through uncomfortable moments is something of a Fabray specialty." Ugh, the implications of that are like a fucking punch to the gut.

Ugh Quinn and her family issues I CANNOT AND YET MY HEART IS PROFOUNDLY ADDICTED TO THIS SHIT.

Jesus, that food!standoff. That is an amazingly powerful paragraph.

"My dad gave me an hour. One hour, to pack up a life." "What did you take with you?" "You know, that sucked worst of all. There wasn't really anything to take." THIS ONE EXCHANGE MAKES ME WANT TO GO EPISODE BY EPISODE AND WRITE EVERYTHING FROM QUINN'S PERSPECTIVE JUST SO I CAN DROWN IN HER LIFE A LITTLE BIT MORE. WHY IS SHE SO FASCINATING, LEAH. HELP ME UNDERSTAND.

"Distract, deflect, defend." Ugh that's so true it hurts.

"Quinn?" "I'm fine." "I don't believe you," he says simply, and a part of her *hates* him for that. [Love this. Just because.]

"See? Fine." "You say that, but...Quinn, it's like your eyes are screaming at me." *fuck you*. Another fantastic moment. Fabrevans are so perf as platonic friends, I can't even.

"Nothing quite prepared her for how *happy* Quinn looks, dancing on that stage with Sam. She barely recognizes herself at all." UGH LET ME DIE.

"You're a good person, Quinn." "No, I'm not." Fuck you Quinn can you please stop breaking my heart with your self-loathing TYVM

When Quinn finds Sam out on the railing and says are you okay/what's wrong...I love that she always tells herself and other people that's not good, that she's terrible, but then she reaches out to the people she cares about in moments like these. She only notices what she does wrong, and never what she does right. I just...I love how subtly you convey that. BEST.

"She stares at a neutral spot on the wall, utterly mortified and face bright pink-already planning on rejoining the celibacy club, like, fucking *yesterday*-" SNORT

"There is nothing homosexual about my footwear." I COULD NOT HAVE LAUGHED ANY LOUDER AT THIS. AND IT WAS LIKE THIS SQUEAK!LAUGH THING THAT I DO WHEN I'M NOT EXPECTING TO FIND SOMETHING FUNNY BUT THEN SOMETHING ENDS UP BEING FUNNY.

"When she glances up at him, her chest constricts, because he's giving her *that look*. The one she's been getting for almost a year now-like she's breaking apart and everyone can see it but her, and Beth is the light shining through her cracks." Ugh that hurt to read.
KelseyO chapter 1 . 5/27/2012
I really like this line: "In the long run, she's done so many things to ruin Sam's life that figuring out what is and is not her fault barely seems worth the effort." It's very Quinn, and kind of hilarious, but at the same time, it's not funny at all.

Her "I'm a terrible person and terrible people do terrible things" mantra is interesting. Her way of thinking is such a vicious circle.

The paragraph about the little things Sam knows about her is very, very, VERY Quinn. I can totally see her being like that in canon you know if the WRITERS WOULD FREAKING WRITE SOMETHING GOOD FOR HER but anyways.

"He doesn't think he'll ever understand that-why she pushes away the things that make her feel good." MY CREYS BECAUSE QUINN ANGST.

"He clenches a fist, fighting the overwhelming ure to punch her in the face, because seriously: *fuck Quinn*." That is such a great moment. I've felt like that many times toward a few people.

"It physically hurts her, watching them. They're sickening. They aren't even doing anything-as far as she knows (and she's made it her business to know)" IS THAT A TEENSY WEENSY BIT OF FABERRY I SEE. AMBIGUOUS QUINN IS AMBIGUOUS.

"'It's a favor for a friend,' she insists, and only Quinn Fabray could make that sentence sound so...unfriendly." That line made me giggle, because it's just so very believable. (And I know I've already read this story, but you know, it probably made me giggle the first time, too.)

OH MY GOD WE BOTH DID THE "Yeah?" "Yeah." THING AND IT'S PROBABLY VERY INSIGNIFICANT BUT I FEEL SO GIDDY KNOWING THAT I USED AN EXACT FABREVANS MOMENT THAT YOU USED BECAUSE IT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I'M DOING THEM CORRECTLY. JUST LET ME BE OVERJOYED AT THIS, OKAY.

(I know I'm not nearly as deep and analytical as you are when reviewing but you asked for feelings so HERE THEY ARE.)
burnthiscityxx chapter 9 . 2/8/2012
I am in love with this story.

The characters are so developed and I feel like it's such a better insight to the storyline, compared to what they showed us on the show. I love Sam & Quinn and whether they're involved romantically or not...this story feeds both. :) Love it!
KelseyO chapter 9 . 1/8/2012
You are so effin' good at this. This story was gorgeous. I can't express in words how much I love being inside Quinn Fabray's head, whether I'm reading somebody's work or writing myself, and I loved every word of this. She is such a delicious ball of complexity and angst (there was a point about halfway through this fic when I wanted to just put on sad music and cry) and I loved the routes you took with her narrative. I adore Fabrevans as pure friendship, and you made me fall even more in love with their dynamic.
Randalish chapter 9 . 8/20/2011
So, I read the last chapter last Saturday. I didn't review then, perhaps because I didn't want it to be over. This week I re-read the whole story, trying to get more of an overarching perspective.

"Kingdom" is perhaps the best exploration of Quinn's character I've read, in that it both sticks to and explains her canon-version, and makes her a fully rounded character on top of that. Albeit one who... well, half the time I'm cringing at the things she does, all the wrong things for all the wrong reasons, and the other half my heart breaks for her as she systematically tries to destroy any and all chances at happiness she has because she thinks she has to, or because she thinks she deserves it. I don't think she really grows past that much in this story. At the end she could still be as much of a bitch as she is to Santana for example in one of the early chapters. But she's let Sam in, and I'd like to believe she stands a chance now. There's this line near the end from Sam's perspective that I think sums her up perfectly: "Her eyes are soft again, like she's letting herself be a person." I like Person-Quinn. I like her a lot. Nevermind all the things she's done, nevermind her mountains of issues and problems and all the wreckage in her wake. She has potential, and once she realises that she may actually get there. All she needs to do is listen to people like Sam and the Mercedes in the back of her head a bit more often.

This is also, of course, the story about her relationship with Sam, and to a lesser extent with Finn, and the contrast between the two. I never really understood the whole going-back-to-Finn thing on the show, but here you make it believable. Or perhaps you just make me want to really think about it for the first time. Quinn herself doesn't fully understand either, as she tells Sam. Surely she must realise how unhappy he's making her? It's just that she fears the idea of losing him so much more. The uncertainty, the lack of direction, of a future, any future, even one she'll hate where she'll end up like her parents. (Married to Finn, 2.5 kids, boring jobs in mid-west suburbia) There's this point where she contemplates how Finn would make a good father, offer a child more than she can give because she can never be enough... I think that is the key. If she thinks she is like her parents, is the reason she wants Finn that Finn is the guy she thinks is most unlike her father?

Where reading about Quinn with Finn makes me cringe for them both, (but mainly for her) reading about about Quinn and Sam just makes me happy. It's like these small but growing bits of fluffy, smushy feel-good story stuck somewhere under the mountain of angst that is Quinn's life, and the contrast makes it all the more valuable, all the more touching. It's a case of... well, not opposites attracting, per-sé, but opposites complementing one another. I think Quinn only lets Sam in because she knows him well enough to see there isn't a disingenuous bone in his body, because she knows her defences are overkill on him. And because she's seeing him at his lowest point, because however bad things are for her he's going to through something worse because it's not just his own fate but his entire family. No need to keep up appearances. Plus of course the siblings. I love Quinn's scenes with Stacey. Again, she doesn't need to defend herself against children, so she doesn't try to keep up appearances either and lets herself be a person.

For his part Sam is just forced into this situation with Quinn, with his cheating ex-girlfriend who never let him get close before. Can't have been fun for him at the start. However, Quinn's drive and determination are of course an immense help to Sam here. Even if she starts out by forcing him to accept help. She may be closed off and scary a lot of the time, but Quinn is a very good person to have watching your back. (Another thing about the story I love but haven't mentioned is how it turns the plight of Sam's family from a throwaway plot-twist to something tangible.)

For another thing, Quinn may not share his love for science-fiction and fantasy, but she certainly -understands- the things she sees with him much better than someone like Finn or Puck would. They'd just rave about cool explosions. She may mock them a bit but she -gets- that they're coming-of-age allegories. (One aspect I really like about this story is how it demonstrates Quinn's intelligence so well, but does it subtly.)

Sam doesn't develop much in this story as it's mostly about Quinn, but I do like his growing understanding of her, all the strange things they bond over, from Fitzgerald & Zelda to incest in Back to the Future and waste-dump destruction. They're still pretty much opposites, but by the end of the story they understand one another well enough to find plenty of common ground despite that.

Sam: "We're breathing in air, and, like—there's no glass. There's no bubble. The only thing holding it all in is gravity, and the only thing between us and the stars is air. It's insane. We're so small, Quinn."

Quinn: "Why doesn't that terrify you?"

I think this sums up their differences pretty well, and shows why Sam's so good for her.

I don't have any real criticism of the story. Once or twice I noticed an abrupt point of view switch mid-paragraph. One or two lines don't quite ring true. (Mostly if they are quoted from episodes of the show.) These are nitpicks, though.

In the end this is a story that makes me think, makes me understand the characters and see them in a new light, and invokes warm and fuzzy feelings a bit more often than it breaks my heart. The first two are a must-have for fiction as far as I'm concerned. And while I don't require happy endings, some kind of feelings are absolutely necessary too. All in all? This is definitely one of my favourite character-studies out there.
LetsCallItFate chapter 9 . 8/19/2011
Wow this story was amazing. I loved it so much. I literally didn't want it to end. I'm so mad that Sam and Quinn never got back together on the show. I mean I like Samchel and all but you could just tell that Sam/Quinn had this understanding and you could see them together way down the line in a way that you couldnt any other characters. It would be cool if you did a sequel of sorts when season three comes out. Anyway this was an amazing story, you're very talented.
noope chapter 9 . 8/18/2011
that was really good(:
How do you Quinn tho chapter 9 . 8/17/2011
You have Quinn very well.

"If I were doing something wrong, they'd know. The first time I cheated, I got pregnant. The second time, I got mono. Seeing as I haven't contracted the plague or been stung to death by African killer bees, it's pretty obvious that I'm innocent."

Everyone else in that school can go to hell; she will take Sam's secret to the grave, no matter what Finn thinks or how many rumors they start about her.

"You see me"

Oh my creys! I cried and I never cry in fanfics. You only got a single tear dropping from my right eye ala Kirsten Dunst in spider man.

Congrats you are going to make me miss Sam. You have also made me dislike Finchel (even more) because their side of the story was told on the show and Fabrevans were treated like plot points.

"I know what you're doing," Quinn breaks in, needing them to get off this line of questioning. (Distract, deflect, defend. Protect Sam.) -MY HEADCANON.

Dislike

I didn't like that Quinn told the Glee Club "everything's gone. He gave up his phone-" because if I remember correctly, Quinn Fabray didn't tell them anything except that he sold his guitar. Kurt was the one who told them things. I loved that Quinn put her rep on the line for him to the end and still was closed off as if she didn't trust the club with any information. Her telling the Glee Club in my head canon was "yeah you guys embarrassed him the least you can do is give him his guitar back but I am still not telling you shit" *Fabray stone face*
How do you Quinn tho chapter 9 . 8/17/2011
You have Quinn very well.

"You see me"

Dislike

lookaroundyouandsmile chapter 9 . 8/16/2011
Hey:)

I just wanted to say that I LOVED your story. Fabrevans' my OTP, and I loved how you described their relationship, even if they were just friends in this story. I just wish this could've actually happened on the show, instead of just seeing them never REALLY talk anymore... Also, I found that their portrays were very accurate. I don't know how to explain this, but the characters were...themselves, if that makes any sense. Anyway, I just loved it. Bravo! ...Oh, and I would love to see more Fabrevans fics from you...;)
Asynia chapter 9 . 8/15/2011
Wow, I guess this is my last comment on this fiction !

I really, really loved it. Once again, I love your writing and the characters are simply perfect. And thanks to you, I definitely ship Fabrevans as a friendship now ! The whole second part of season 2 makes much more sense with your story )

Really great job !
miss-mhm chapter 9 . 8/15/2011
I never really liked Sam while watching season two...strange how, during this hiatus, he's grown to become one of my favourite characters, -especially when he's written like he is in this story! Can't believe he's not coming back to the show now that I like him so much...what is Quinn gonna do?

Anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this story. Quinn just makes sense in "your universe", -and lets just pretend this is what was really going on inbetween the scenes on the show, because it's the excuse RIB never gave us for screwing up Quinn this past season. I hope you'll write more Glee, because you do it so well! Thank you for sharing the story.
63 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »