Reviews for Inescapable
Guest chapter 1 . 4/22/2013
Why did you make me like Fernand?! Why? No but seriously, you did a wonderful job of making him human
instead of just a bad guy.
Lucrecia LeVrai chapter 1 . 11/27/2011
I'm very fond of stories that deal with the subject of betrayed friendship, and also stories that try to explain the villain's motives, so naturally, I did enjoy your fic a lot! Actually, I've been looking/waiting for a good fic on Fernand for quite some time now, and I was truly happy to discover yours.

It was really insightful, I think. You did a great job explaining Fernand's motives. You didn't justify his actions, or say that he was entitled to do what he did, but you didn't jump straight to judging him, either.

What do you mean about making him worse? Yes, you all but called out all his faults by name, you went as far as reminding the reader about every single bad thing he had ever done, but you actually made him seem /human/, rather than turning him into an emotionless monster. I loved that approach. Fernand may be a terrible, terrible man, but that's what makes him so interesting, in your fanfiction, at least.

The story was very well written, too, though perhaps a little bit too long. Heck, I'd never have thought I'd complain about such an awesome, complex character study being 'too long', but still, some paragraphs dragged on a little. I realize, however, that I may feel this way only because I know the movie's plot by heart (and not just the plot; I can even quote many of the film's dialogues line by line), so I needn't have read about the same ol' facts over and over again, even if Fernand's perspective made them rather refreshing.

I particularly liked the final part with Albert. Fernand's been the boy's father for all his life, the only father he had ever known, and yet the boy abandons him so easily? I wonder about that, too, every time I watch that goddamn movie. Then again, I think it's a fitting punishment for Fernand – he learns what it feels to be betrayed – first by his wife, then by his son.

All in all, many thanks for writing and posting this story! I liked it a lot!
Robin4 chapter 1 . 9/11/2011
Oh, wonderful! I think you hit Ferdinand dead on in this, and I loved every moment.
Still Not Dead Yet chapter 1 . 8/13/2011
A very interesting character piece.

That said my greatest realization from reading this story is that it has been too long since Ive last scene the movie.

Anyway, As always I look forward to your next post.
The Almost Anonymous One chapter 1 . 8/7/2011
So I see that I'm not the only one to detect a slashy vibe from that movie. Or maybe it is just me but the slash-ness (or whatever you call it) is so strong that I cant' help but pick it up? This movie wasn't very much like the book but it was pretty solid in its own right. I'm not quite sure whta you mean by making Mondego a worse character than he was before. Is it because here he actually DOES regret it (even if he won't admit it) but does it anyway and, again, refuses to admit to it or take any action to apologize or correct his actions?
Anon chapter 1 . 8/6/2011