Reviews for How the World Burns
DesperatelySeeking chapter 1 . 7/21/2013
This has left me speechless and is definitely going in my favorites.
nihao.muse chapter 1 . 4/15/2013
This... It's amazing. Written so well, and such an original idea.
OxEyed chapter 1 . 3/14/2012
I spent the whole story trying to figure out which character would die and I still didn't figure it out. But phew! I'm really glad the anime wasn't like that or my childhood might have ended very differently. :/

It's been a long time since I read post-series Yuugi, so this was a treat. And just...it's so perfectly plausible.

Favorite line?

"'So what?' Yuugi whispers, defiant to the last. He has thought about this himself, time and time before."

It was not at all what I expected him to say, and yet it wraps up his character and personality so well I don't know. I found it moving.

Good rec. ;)
TexasDreamer01 chapter 1 . 3/5/2012
And yet, because of this, I will always be slightly creeped out by Yugi.
Ryou VeRua chapter 1 . 8/16/2011
It was funny, because I was getting really curious as to why all I would get this sort of response from people who had read your story: DDDDDDD8 - though they of course would say after, very quickly, in a GOOD way.

... And now I get it.

I don't want to go into detail because spoilers in this fic would really ruin it for anyone reading it for the first time, but HOLY FFF - at that ending. So unexpected, especially considering how it started. And I really want to say that my absolute favourite part of all of it would have to be your gory rendering of the BC finals, with the descriptions of them *actually* torn apart by the shadows. I honestly never thought of that myself - very creative!

Suffice it to say, even though it can really be described as a 'BAD END', it was definitely written in an excellent way
Doubleplusgoodduckspeaker chapter 1 . 8/15/2011
Eeps! Oh, this was gooooood. It had me completely spellbound, and was just so thrilling to read! I think I might have said this before, but I really admire your command as the author, how purposeful everything seems-it reads like you put time and effort into it to get everything just how you want it. :D

Malik's dialogue was all really good (and I like what you did with the names, very inventive!), and I loved how you wrote the ending sections; the lines that begin "Through Yuugi's eyes" were really well-done.

I had a few problems with the language/wording in the beginning-lines like "hangs up high" and "he seems to be all up in Yuugi's face" seem a bit... out of place? A little too informal, maybe, for the tone of the rest of the story? That was it, really. You did an amazing job with this pairing and this story! Thank you for writing this!
harinezumiko chapter 1 . 8/15/2011
I loved the opening to this, very persuasive.
My Misguided Fairytale chapter 1 . 8/15/2011
I think this is your best entry yet! D (There's good things before you even get to the story itself: Malik pronunciations, Hichigo references, bagel analogies xDD) And I agree with all the past reviewers, the opening is super good and packs quite a punch. It's such an interesting and different take on the pairing - I like that it's set in canon, but swerves off into horror-land with all the gruesome descriptions and the *SPOILER* deaths and house-burning and all that. You write this genre so well, it's definitely one of your strengths. Oh and I adore present tense, I think you used it really well here. I like the way your summary bookends the beginning and ending of the story, and the way you characterize...well, everybody. xD Loved it, keep up the great work! Great job on this!

Jess (MMF)
firstForward chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
This is so brilliant. Every little detail (the way you differentiated between the two personalities, that made me smile because I knew exactly which pronunciation you meant and I thought it fit really well). The way you describe Yuugi's body as he's fading, all those reminders about how horrible his condition is. The way you let Marik's manipulative nature shine through. The way it just seemed so canon, I mean, like that Marik killed his father, and then he killed again. In a different body, but it was a similar scenario nonetheless, and it just made me think about how plausible it was. I also like your decision in making this present tense, I felt like it plopped me right down in the middle of the situation right from the get-go. Thanks for the read!
deactivated82940 chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
Wow.

At first I thought it was going to be a 'Yalik convinces Yuugi to turn against the pharaoh' and I was doing a big ol 'psssssssh, no way, not gonna happen'. So when it turned out that wasn't it, I gave a huge sigh of relief. BUT THEN. You did something WORSE and it's terrible and wonderful and horrible and I LOVE it.

Also, the descriptions of Malik's and Yuugi's bodies was disgusting and gorgeous. Obviously we're not actually shown that in the kid's show, else that would be truly terrifying, but I really liked that added detail. There was one line, "...those fingers have burrowed deep in his skull, scraping his brain out chunk by little chunk" that just made me shiver with how elegantly it fit in to what you were saying and the imagery of it was repulsive but it just really drove everything in.

Something else I wanted to point out and that's I really liked that you had the first part of the story so long. It just really let me believe that Yalik had accomplished his goal and it felt like it did and could have happened, like this was something that was possible. No, more like, this was a very viable scenario, and it just really worked. I'm glad you didn't skim on it, that's what I'm trying to say xD

"Nobody doubts the King of Games...game shop's floor." AAAAAAAH. I liked this line because it definitely induced a scream from me. YAMI MALIK YOU COMPLETE AND UTTER BASTARD.
vapanalley chapter 1 . 8/6/2011
This is chilling. Totally and completely mind blowingly creepy in the way that Yuugi changes and the way that Malik goes about with his senses and feelings and the way he is. And the beginning. D: Even scarier. Nice job.
InsaneEvilLittleEmmy chapter 1 . 8/6/2011
lol D I really liked this story :3 it had a nice feel to it. And yea someone finally made an evil guy tell Yugi his friends werent his and they where the pharaoh's not many ppl really do that :D all in all good story