Reviews for He's My Family
Madebyme chapter 1 . 8/9/2011
This was a neat and very effective tale and I enjoyed every single word.

I really liked how you juxtaposed an injured Dean without Sam and then an injured Sam without Dean, pointing out how not quite 'whole' they are without each other and how the little things they relied on are missing (I especially loved Dean's introspection about how Sam wouldn't leave him alone when feeling this vulnerable - spot on!)

And then at the end you righted all the wrongs with a little snippet of the boys together, being able to take care of each other, restoring the balance and making them feel at one again.

I'm looking forward to next week already - this was a joy to read! Take care, Abbi
I'mcalledZorro chapter 1 . 8/8/2011
Great story! While I drive a Hyundai Tucson mine is white and dosen't have an awesome bumper sticker, lol.
Zaphire chapter 1 . 8/8/2011
Wow this story was very touching and it had me tearing. I loved it.

and damn I am going to have to start taking the NJ turnpike more often, I would have loved to have seen that sticker.

annddd I got Blood Brothers 5, I am enjoying it a lot. Burning questions, is my fav so far :).
Ciya chapter 1 . 8/8/2011
Great story. I liked how the brothers wanted each other when they hurt, how things were better when their brother was there to help them through the pain.
ccase13 chapter 1 . 8/8/2011
Even animals and soul-less Sam know that they feel better with their people no matter what drugs the vet gives them.

You've probably got the Lisa situation down right. She just seemed to try to do the right thing without having a lot of real empathy toward Dean.
LittleLurker chapter 1 . 8/8/2011
Hi there, and thanks for another beautiful story. Loved how you contrasted Sam and Dean being injured and apart from each other with them being together and taking care of each other even though one is sick and the other one injured. Really nice how you let us know that either brother still missed the other even without explicitly saying so. Liked the little bits making this totally clear:

... She pushed him in a wheelchair. Manipulated him into her little compact, which he hated.

... His coordination was shot thanks to the meds, but this time his support didn't loom three inches

over him and outweigh him by thirty pounds, so he tried to keep his feet.

... It tasted like cream and mushrooms instead of the tomatoes and rice he'd somehow still been expecting. Not bad, but…

... Sam would've known he was lying. That having his arm in a sling and his head full of meds left

him feeling vulnerable and off-balance. That he slept best with noise in the background. That he hated

being alone. Sam wouldn't have left.

Especially loved the bit where Dean expected tomato soup with rice and nothing else and (of course) the part where Dean was sure Sam wouldn't have left him alone on the couch.

For Sam I especially liked these lines:

... Gwen, hovering nearby, at least looked like she hoped he wouldn't die, although she stayed beyond his arm's reach.

... Nobody caught him when he slumped back on the cot.

... Somehow he just remembered it as having been less unpleasant with Dean. Maybe it was his

or the way he made sure Sam was comfortable and not alone.

And then, thankfully, you also made sure we still know how they act when they're together. Loved those:

... "Sammy," Dean said more gently. "C'mere." Sam turned back to blink at him, then [...] straightened wearily to hold it out to Dean.

... Which finally put him close enough to reach. Dean snagged his wrist and used it to reel Sam stumblingly in.

... Sam blinked toward the bathroom like it was a block away. Dean sighed. "Never mind, just… Lie down, huh? But drink this first."

... Sam's face flooded with guilt, the big girl.

... Before he could do more than wish for it, however, Sam was already up and handing it over.

... Then he just stood there, looking lost again.

... He kept passing Sam food as each item disappeared: a container of potato salad, another of fruit

salad, a massive éclair, a bottle of cold water, each something he knew would tempt his picky brother.

And this was the icing on the cake:

... Sam snuffled at that, curling into Dean's hip as his eyes fluttered shut. He didn't even stir

when Dean towed the edge of the blanket up over him. "That's my boy," Dean said fondly. He finally

leaned back, ready to take it easy, relaxed and comfortable with his family beside him.

Thanks loads once again!

I definitely love everything SPN you come up with. It's always, always very well thought through and masterfully written. You have both characters down to a "t" and your story ideas never stop to amaze me neither... You are one of very, very few authors out there, who can write a truly beautiful story without much of a plot (or lots of action, although I have to admit I like those too - if done right), but yours just seem to have a life of their own in getting into both brothers' heads and moods and it makes the reader feel like being a fly on the wall within their room... Also you somehow always manage to get the emotions just right, even those that are difficult to express (caring for, or loving each other (w/o being in love, argh!), or being scared for one another) without making them cheesy or "chick-flicky" (as Dean might say), or, even worse, outright OC.

Best wishes and please don't stop writing those two, okay?

Cheers, D.
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 8/8/2011
You showed perfectly how the boys need and are most comfortable with each other, their relationship effortless, them being complete when with the other. In contrast Dean never had that with Lisa, she couldn't tell when he was lying or what he really needed, Sam would have ignored his requests, knowing Dean needed and wanted him near, and would have got him the right soup. And even RoboSam knew that it would have been different with Dean tending to his injury and missed the fact that he wasn't there.

Loved this :)
AZGirl chapter 1 . 8/8/2011
The parts where the guys didn't have their brother with them while being injured made me so sad... But when they were together - loved the difference in them! Great job with that!
godsdaughter77 chapter 1 . 8/7/2011
I loved this story! Thanks for sharing it!
fifimom chapter 1 . 8/7/2011
This is like a nice big mug of hot chocolate on a cool fall evening, sweet and warm and filling. Thanks for sharing.
BranchSuper chapter 1 . 8/7/2011
Good story. These brothers know that things just don't feel right without each other, especially when they are ill or injured.
KKBELVIS chapter 1 . 8/7/2011
Lovely piece!

I am a bumper sticker junkie. On my car - Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy. Ha ha.

I liked this line: Nobody caught him when he slumped back on the cot.

So sad being soulless Sam. Even if he was hot.

And my most fav line: Somehow he just remembered it as having been less unpleasant with Dean. Maybe it was his brother's quiet ramblings that grounded Sam, or the gentle way he handled injured flesh and bone, or the way he made sure Sam was comfortable and not alone.

It was sentimental and stupid. But he did feel the loss of his brother.

Ouch! You hit right where it hurts...that's a good thing.

Ever find your mystery driver?

Always enjoy your work.

Karen
irismay42 chapter 1 . 8/7/2011
Loved the symmetry of this one. Dean comparing Lisa's ministrations to Sam's; Soulless!Sam realising he might actually be missing Dean; and then the last section where they're both trying to take care of each other. Perfect. Hope the show hears you!
zekeschance chapter 1 . 8/7/2011
Loved the two different perspectives from each boy. When Dean was with Lisa (I hated that story line)and they kept saying "Dean's family" it made me so mad. Sam is his family. It was never Lisa and Ben. Great description of Dean's thoughts. Then Sam's thoughts with the Campbell's. They never even acted like they cared anything about him. Treated him like he was never good enough. But finally Dean and Sam together. And sick Sam at that! Thank you so much! Where could the rest of us find a bumper sticker like that?
sylia91 chapter 1 . 8/7/2011
Excellent contrasts with the boys getting alternatively loving but inexperienced or callous and efficient care versus each other knowing one another inside and out. I especially loved silent Sam contrasting Dean's comforting rambling care at the end, anticipating exactly what the other needed. It was a perfect ballet.
51 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »