Reviews for The Shrew War, Book II: The Winter Coast
Auua Ytjoml chapter 17 . 4/6
Well they know there's no red badger up there...and one hare that's as likely to run as to try and get 'em out is a pretty poor 'more of us up there' so I'd say it's fairly obvious that the rat's lying... to bad Lekkas can't see that.
SomeoneI'mSure chapter 23 . 8/18/2012
Tratton certainly is a far more traditional villian than... well... uh...

Clucus seems just a like a ferret version of Lorr, except he has yet to show the keen interest that Lorr has in the ferret's inventions. It seems to me that the only reason Clucus is such a success is because of the rat power and other resources available to him. Inventor with purpose and resources is a very dangerous thing indeed.

Steel? Steel wasn't invented until the 1860s, as far as I know. Folded iron had been used for swords, at least I thought so. Oxidized melted and filtered iron became steel, a process invented by someone named Bessemor, I think. Don't quote me on this.
SomeoneI'mSure chapter 22 . 8/18/2012
From the Long Patrol's point of view, they have every right to want vengeance for their comrades and Lord's death. They should blame Lord Urthblood and the fighters at Salamanderstron, not Browder, but since they aren't there on the coast, Browder is the next best thing. Not entirely fair for Browder, but the Long Patrol believe themselves justified - and evidence does agree with them on that. Regardless of the fact Browder worked indirectly with those matters, the Long Patrol still holds a grudge, wanting vengeance and blood even though Browder is a pacifist and did not raise a paw against their comrades.

Y'know, this story is starting make more sense to me. You have developed individual party view point nicely.

I feel stupid for not noticing this before. Suppose I was blinded by my own bias at the time. Sorry, I'm still learning.

Now, I don't think the Redwallers will give him as bad as a welcome, but they sure have not forgotten what he's done.

S.I.S.
SomeoneI'mSure chapter 21 . 8/18/2012
It's great to know that at least someone supports that misunderstood hare. If the death of the Long Patrol and Urthfist hadn't been the result of his lie, the whole of Redwall and then some would have perhaps forgiven them. Those Long Patrol hares have taken his deception far more personally than they should, and have no ounce of forgiveness ready for Browder. I understand their view, but holding a grudge for any reason is petty, especially since Browder has already proven himself by rescuing the slaves (even though I don't entirely agree with them either). Still, even Browder deserves a second chance, and that's what he's getting.

Though I like black and white characters, grey characters add so much drama! You manage to keep them light grey, instead of turning everyone into twisted dark grey characters. Even Syrek the rat wasn't that bad of a character, though his last act was misunderstood by everyone. Though no seems certian, I have faith Syrek had good intentions, regardless of the end result. That's what matters.

It seems the theme of the whole story is the same: Tell a lie, succeed in your good intentions and become a hero. Tell a lie, and fail in what you intended and everyone thinks the worse for it. Misunderstanding can ruin someone's reputation just as much as hold a grudge, except those holding the grudge join with others holding the same grudge and thus never confront an outsider's opinion of the matter. The same could be said for the one misunderstood, except those who understood his reasons aren't out to help him, in this case.

Strange how this all points to the politics of the matter. In your story, no one is truly good and no one is truly evil, which is true in all manners of life. Everyone has a dark side and a light sight, which just prefer and believe in certain aspects of each. I suppose that's the mark of a more realistic grey character. Though I am starved for some white character's input on the whole matter.

Wow. I wrote all that? o.o

Hope Browder gets a better reception from the Redwallers.
SomeoneI'mSure chapter 12 . 8/17/2012
Wow. This is getting good. An actual and realistic war...

Hope Browder gets a good reception at Redwall. After all, he's bringing all the slaves there...

I get the feeling I'm going to jinx this, I ya know what I mean.

S.I.S.
SomeoneI'mSure chapter 7 . 8/17/2012
Amazing details and imagery. The coordinated efforts of these two disciplined armies give these characters far more intelligence that the original books could not apply. These two great leaders have proved their intelligence and keen eye in the picking and choosing of their Captains. Lutar's forces, even with their Captain dead, would have escaped if it hadn't been for that accident. However, the lack of slaves in their galley makes me wonder if any of those dreadnought fighters might be salvageable for Urthblood's own forces.

A few typos here and there, but the overall quality of your masterpiece does draw attention away from it. At least one word in this chapter alone, though I was too enthralled to notice any possible others.

Great work, S.I.S.
ifeelmad chapter 23 . 1/20/2012
Tratton is a well rounded villain, unlike most of Jacques' villains. He shows eloquence and wit and coolness along with his cruelty, yet inside he really seems to be a coward.
ifeelmad chapter 20 . 1/20/2012
This seems to take place more in the setting of the 19th century. How they're learning to use steel ships so they wont burn.
ifeelmad chapter 17 . 1/15/2012
Now Clovis is sounding just like a canon Abbey mousemaid. "Oh, it's all right, Kurdyla, it's not your fault. Ooh, Kurdyla, I'm scared! "
ifeelmad chapter 16 . 1/15/2012
Browder would be a stereotypical silly, melodramatic hare in Jacques's books. You did well to show that such goofy, ridiculous prattling characters are useless in a saga of warriors by making him cowardly and annoying.
ifeelmad chapter 15 . 1/15/2012
You have considered the anonymous dead goodbeasts after battle, unlike Jacques, who didn't write any eulogy except after the death of a major character and completely ignored mention of the slain common fighters except for occasional angst about peace.
ifeelmad chapter 13 . 1/11/2012
Wow! These otters' deaths are grisly.
ifeelmad chapter 1 . 1/6/2012
So, since I'm in reviewing mode, I'm going to actually review instead of the little fangirlish exclamations I gave while I was devouring The Crimson Badger series.

Urthblood: Urthblood is a character who had the ability to bring tension and conflict to the story - something that few Redwall canon characters have the ability or the dimension to do. Few writers I've read have the ability to write a character both good hearted and devious, a frigid, emotionless seeming character who has the depth or ability to show true laxity (not just angst) when something truly emotional - such as the death of his brother - occurs. Yet somehow, Urthfist seems as if his wild, unreasonable behavior is like a caricature in contrast to his brother, though this is probably not intended. Urthblood tends to seem self-righteous when he speaks of his brother's madness, and I'll continue to regard Urthblood as a grey character. Urthblood is a character with whom, it seems, I must have a love hate relationship. Even when I am appalled by brutal things he does, I feel almost intimidated.

You made an interesting choice to break with the ordinary and make Cyrus decide to be a peaceful inhabitant of Redwall instead of fulfilling his former warrior dream. It seems almost as if that were a sort of coming of age for him.

Winokur is a noteworthy character, also. He is another example of your young characters who di not always fulfill their ambitions. He wanted to be a peacemaker. I will never forget how the otter leader pushed him aside figuratively, bidding him leave Warnokur to his warrior ways. Warnokur was embarrassed and proud. He wasn't a good father, but he was a warrior. Winokur, like so few canon Redwall peacemakers, had to learn when to step aside.

Your vermin are my favorite parts. They are neither meek nor stupid. When interacting with Redwallers and their misgivings they know when to be formal and when to be friendly. They do not grovel for acceptance. They are intelligent, quick, hard, witty and accountable. Their obedience to Urthblood, and their seeming dread of failure, is almost frightening.

To make a long, rambling comment short, don't ever end this series. Ever. Or I'll drink antifreeze. Lol. Just kidding. :)
ifeelmad chapter 12 . 1/5/2012
I love it when goodbeasts lose their temper or quarrel - without the peacemaking interference of some Abbot. It happens so rarely in Redwall books, which is one reason I love your books. Another is the well rounded grey characters, another is the intelligent and witty vermin, another is conflicts you actually want to read about (Brian Jacques stopped doing his best work after awhile.) I'm glad the good vermin aren't meek and stupid.
ifeelmad chapter 11 . 1/5/2012
Whew! Back from critiquing ungrateful writers till my brains fried and working on my book, to relax and continue reading my favorite Redwall author. God, it has never taken me this long to read a book in Highwings series. Curse you, whining Wattpad writers!