Reviews for Northanger Shabby
Guest chapter 1 . 10/3/2012
I rather like to see Jane Austen plots adapted to a modern setting : the double challenge is to make the story believable in its own right and at the same time to convey all the dephth of meaning of the original story. Only very few stories meet these challenges. I think so far you have brilliantly succeeded on the first account. All the settings, encounters and dialogues bring to life the characters and you could almost picture them in a movie (especially the scene of the first encounter on the road at night). We will have to see on the second account as the story unfolds.
Therefore I very much encourage you to continue the story. Maybe you could "misplace" a chapter on the "Pride and Prejudice" board for a while to chase up more readers. I've seen it done before.
wyread chapter 2 . 9/14/2011
There aren't nearly enough NA fanfics, although it is one of my favorites. What other book is as playful as the Gothic satire? I think you've framed SLC as Bath quite well, with Kate falling in with a wealthy crowd from the start, a feat my sister achieved on a smaller scale at U of U. The backstory feels a little unfinished for this point in the story, like: Why, if Dana is from Utah, are they staying at a hotel? On the other hand, I look forward to discovering the "other things" that have caused Kate's hygiene boycott.

Clean grammar, clear sentences, and promising start to this update. I hope you pick up the story again and don't let the smallness of the readership discourage you. (If you want a larger audience, have you considered drumming up readers by writing a one-shot for a more popular book like, yes, P&P?)