Reviews for Delicious
Eric's No 1 lover chapter 1 . 8/6/2012
An issue that many people feel very sensitive about, very well handled and written.
RTP4ME chapter 1 . 8/5/2012
I like to fic dive a bit when I'm down and this was a great little find.
You write good happiness w reality.
Xo
BELAVERA chapter 1 . 7/30/2012
I liked the story. When I was in college, I was under weight, very underweight!
When I met my husband, he recognized that I was skinny, I just had a
large bone structure. He did everything he could to help me gain weight.
After we married, I gained about 20 lbs, which was about right. Now I was
on the other side of the fence! Due to various medical problems, I kept
gaining. Bill didn't mind, but I felt bad about it, like Bella. It took some
time, but I know that no matter what I weigh, it is me (and the doctor)
that worries about it, not my husband...he just wants me to be happy!
TheRugbymom chapter 1 . 7/28/2012
nicely done!
pgrabinEdward chapter 1 . 7/24/2012
Wow! So moving and a huge issue so many women deal with- thank you for writing this!
Monday the 14th chapter 1 . 7/17/2012
Reading your fic made me think that I'm on a diet, and the glorious feeling that comes with the knowledge that you're losing weight.

Ten I remembered that my longest diet lasted 5 days, and I contemplated all the food I had today. But yeah, now I want to diet. Which may not be what you were going for here, but still.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us!
WingsOfEyeliner chapter 1 . 7/7/2012
Another excellent piece. This one spoke to me on so many levels. Absolutely loved. :)
Guest chapter 1 . 6/27/2012
Great short story. Loved the topic and the resolution to such a big issue for many people. When I was a skinny, young thing, I felt fearful that my significant other wouldn't think I was voluptuous enough. As my body matured, I filled in the narrow lines and finally felt good about myself. Having a family and growing older have changed the narrow lines into curvy ones, but I have never felt more confident in the way that I feel about who I really am. My husband loves me. My kids love me. My friends respect me and I have finally learned to respect myself. Thank you for a story that makes woman believe in themselves. My favorite moment was the one where she licked the ice cream off of his lip. It truly made me smile and remember the ice cream cone that I shared with my husband on our very first date, many moons ago. It was pistachio, chocolate chip. I hate pistachio ice cream but I loved the cool lips that were attached to it.
Decades later, those cool lips haven't changed.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/24/2012
It's a refreshing perspective; this piece. A typical person would be like, you're not fat, you're beautiful, etc. As nice as that is to hear, it is completely ineffective. I think that a mind can not be changed with a single series of words, especially when one has lived with that mindset for so long.

By saying that his perspective is not hers, it destroys the idea that he thinks she's fat and that is all she needs. As you said, maybe her mind will change (and it did to a degree), and maybe it won't, but Edward's place as a lover is to support her and that's what he does.

I really like this idea. It's so different from anything I've read and it taught me something about people who construct an idea of themselves in their heads. Thank you for this.
orpheuschick chapter 1 . 6/21/2012
Just wanted to say what a lovely, heart-warming story this is, and so insightful about the way we women view our bodies. I loved the description of the sticks that inhabit hip new place and the movies - too true! - and that Rosalie's attractiveness is as much ascribed to her attitude as to her physical attributes.

Edward's line about beauty being in the eye of the holder is one I'll remind myself of often - as it happens, this is one of the slef-doubts that has plagued me most of my life (I too can pinpoint the 'when')and which I am just starting to really try to deal with. This recommendation (from Lady Gwynedd) came just at the right moment for me. Now, if only there were more Edward Cullens around to share an icecream kiss with...sigh.
hanadi J chapter 1 . 6/18/2012
So sweet!

I really loved it!
sparklevampFTW chapter 1 . 5/28/2012
This was a very different Bella, and I'm sure it hits home to a lot of girls. Thank you for writing this, it's very truthful to many things. I like that you didn't exactly resolve the conflict, but left it unresolved for the reader to figure out that eventually, the characters move past the problem. I love when authors do that.
SilvaK chapter 1 . 4/4/2012
Hello!I've read a lot of your stories and I really love your 's very real and this story,touched me on a personal level,because I am a girl who struggles with my weight and the way I see like Bella in the story I tend to close myself off for fear of ,thanks for sharing this story,because it gives me hope and maybe some strength to do better for myself and maybe find that someone who will inspire in me "certain confidences" as you so well put luck with your thesis,hope you are doing well.
JLPinNYC chapter 1 . 2/21/2012
So I definitely should have read this before now. I have so many feelings about this o/s...really. I haven't read any fanfic that broaches this subject, and thank you so very much for posting it.

I love how this Edward doesn't placate Bella by telling her what she thinks she wants/needs to hear. It was a nice surprise.

This:

"It's a slow process, and I have years and years of experience thinking one way. I have bad days, very bad ones, where I contemplate Edward's gentle suggestion to consider talking to someone who understands more."

...whoa in real life moment right here. Sorta makes me want to stick my fingers in my ears and yell "LALALALALALA!". I've had food/body images issues for some time now...and just started trying to dig deep, talk (well just listening at the moment), and figure things out. It's touch and go. Sigh.

Anyways...thank you. ;)

Jenn
reve2weaver chapter 1 . 2/19/2012
I loved the ambivalent ending. It could be going in the right direction; but it's really all up to Bella, and I have to say, she needs help; from a professional.

I just had a quick scroll through the reviews and Ffn had an advertisement for SlimBand above (how ironic) while alot of reviewers mentioned they could relate, and so many said glad this story didn't have Edward fix her. I know SlimBand won't fix it either.

It's all about the big sex organ: the brain. I wonder if any of the reviewers noticed how 'obtuse' Bella was to Edward's own issues?

Edward immediately apologized for not being a 'gym and sports guy' and we read over and over again how skinny he is. In guy speak, dear readers, this is the equivalent of female's flabby thighs and cellulite. Guy's don't like being toothpicks any more than women like being fat. Yet as Edward took off his shirt and acted vulnerable, Bella is unable to reassure Edward or recognize his issues. This is critical, because it shows she is too much into her own problems to recognize Edward has them, too.

Heck, we all do. This is kind of the point here, I think.

I noticed Bella was also closed off with the borrowed sweat shirt incident. He's been wearing the same three shirts over and over again, and yet Bella is so worried about her own problems, she can't notice the poor boy's got his own problems again. Instead, she's obsessing over her weight while he doesn't have enough clothes to wear. Now in guy speak, this is another huge vulnerability. Appearing like you don't have the financial means is a bad thing for guys, because they like to show they are good providers, are self sufficient, and money is one way to do that. Not having money to go out and buy more clothes to put on his back would be an embarrassing admission for Edward. Yet, Bella is unable to utter a reassuring word...again. See? Bella's cluelessness due to self-absorbed thoughts is kind of a big problem in a future mate, ladies.

It would seem many reviewers shared Bella's issues but also her lack of insight to Edward's shared vulnerability... why is that? Strange... that being overweight is brought so many gushing reviews, and yet I think the main point here was missed.

Getting over oneself and seeing that other people have similar problems is the first step to overcoming low self-esteem. Bella could be blind or one-legged and it would be the same story.

When we have convinced ourselves we aren't good enough, it's because we lack empathy for other people's situation, unable to see we are all in the same boat; no better, no worse, just different. No one person's pain can be qualified against another's, so just accept with grace and rise above it.

This is what Bella needs to do if she wants to hang on to Edward. I don't think this ending guarantees their HEA. Not until she gets some help and learns to let go and recognize she's not that different, or any more 'special' in her difficulties. Even if she lost weight, without professional help, she will switch one neurosis for another, and drive him away.

Edward is right to suggest Bella needs professional help. She's bound to get bigger and more unhappy if she's feeding her self- esteem problems with food because every problem is all about 'me'. It will only get worse when she realizes... it isn't, and he can't carry her... happiness. No one can. Her well being, her happiness is her responsibility, first.

Satisfaction is guaranteed when she learns to stop caring about some invisible audience is negatively thinking about her and internalizing it, and learns grace and a sense of purpose with a much wider focus then the scales and the mirror as valid proof of good and evil.

You simply can't love someone who doesn't love themselves and who looks for validation through external approvals only.

Bella; find your courage and your soul, first, and then your heart will be ready to feed on the banquet of love, not before. Lots of big people have great sex lives and amazing marriages, and lots of big people have miserable lives, too. It's all about the mental attitude, dude.

Brilliant characterizations and a great story, well told. The reactions are incredible and heartfelt reminder of what's at stake.
338 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »