Reviews for Fear Of
Noie chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
This was long, epically so for a two in one-shot, but it made me more comfortable with the whole of season six. And there are parts I'll never be okay with, mainly the person who Booth became with Hannah, but their journey and the amazing friend Brennan continued to be was a good one. Thanks for posting!
recycledsoul chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
This is such a beautiful piece of writing. I love that you told these two stories together. It makes both of them so much more powerful.
Sheytune chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
This is a fascinating look at what might have been. Loved it.
Erniegirl chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
I love love love this story. I don't think it's too long at all, love the alternating points of view and a very realistic portrayal of what could happen in both scenarios. I think it had the perfect balance of fluffy and angsty.
mendenbar chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
I found this to be quite an excellent foray into the world of "for better or worse." To see it from both sides? Unique and informative and very entertaining.
BabyBones chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
I just loved how you entwined the two stories. I too believe she was not ready when he asked. It would have turned out badly just like you wrote. As much as I HATED Hannah, I believe she was a necessary evil to get to where they are now. This was very nicely written! Thank you for sharing! :)
ladymirth chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
As a person who hated Season 6 with the fire of a thousand suns and re-written the 100th episode in her head a hundred times, the sheer inevitability of the alternative scenario feels...almost like a heart-breaking, dystopian horror movie. The contrast with the events of the 'real' timeline feels beautiful and soothing, even while my inner fangirl rebels furiously against the thought that Hart Hanson might actually have known what he was doing.
rbutler chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
You write angst beautifully, which sort of makes up for the fact that it's angst.

Your theory about the likely outcome of Brennan saying yes in the 100th is tragically plausible and true to her character (as revealed to us in season 6 anyway).

You manage to make their true coming together at last not only sensible, but preferable to it happening earlier, something one would hardly even think possible. Most importantly, all very, very believable. Sensual and sweet, without becoming the outright smut that would have been inappropriate given the circumstances.
Potterworm chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
I adored this. The parallels you drew between the two possible scenarios were amazing.
harper83 chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
Well I'm not much of an angst fan, so those parts just killed me. The fluffy parts though? Absolutely wonderful! So sweet, and nowhere near too mushy. They were just wonderfully written. The whole thing was wonderfully written, but I definitely prefer to avoid the heart ache, lol.
Trixfan chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
THis would have to be on of the best BONES fan fics I have ever read. I loved the sliding doors theme and have to say, I'm so glad each story had a different ending. I believe you kept to the characterisations beautifly. I could see the end of Season 5 ending the way you wrote it because Bones really wasn't ready for the kind of mystical realationship requiring the level of faith in her partner she is now capable of (at the end of Season 6).

So well done, the spelling, gramma and flow of the prose was such that it made reading easy. If I was one of the people who's birthday this was for, I would be extremely grateful for the work and see it as a complement towards the friendship.

I can't wait to see what else you've written, I'm off to check out your other stories.
dorisbay chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
well.. I think this is one of the best interpretation I ever red. The idea of writing two different possible pathways since that night is great, the way you motivated choices and behaviors very deep. And I really like the way you write! So, very good work!
Adgie chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
I wish I could write like this. A very good read and I'm glad I clicked on it. Thanks for sharing.
Tadpole24 chapter 1 . 8/10/2011
E, you are a dream weaver. This fic is just *sigh* awesome. I can't think of a way to describe how amazing you truly are at writing these things, so we'll have to settle on a lot of sighs and awesomes :)

First up, congrats on posting the longest fic you have ever written :) And double congrats on managing to combine 2 people's birthdays in very cleverly written story. Talent and a half :)

The overall effect of this story makes me feel giddy with joy because I KNOW without any doubts in my mind, that Brennan made the right choice that night on the Hoover steps. It was always such a difficult concept for me to grasp during the remainder of season 5 because I felt like I knew that she wanted it. I felt like I knew that she was ready. But in retrospect, it's easy to see that she was not and the way you've demonstrated that is just perfect. The juxtaposition of the two worlds says more than my internal dialogue will ever be able to come up with. You have not only provided an incredible story, but some closure.

Your attention to detail is unrivaled. You keep everybody in character. You are amazing.

It was an honour to work with you on this one and I can't wait until your brilliant mind churns out something else for me to feast my eyes on!

Love!

x
Some1tookmyname chapter 1 . 8/10/2011
Um, Wow.

Wow.

Yeah, did I say wow?

First, the idea is brilliant. So many of us hate HATE the end of the 100th and so you take it and show us (better than HH and crew have done, thankyouverymuch) that it was the right thing.

I was hooked from the start, but this struck me immediately:

*Sometimes, there's a moment – one where everything changes in a fundamental way – when these thoughts of what if and maybe if I had just… seem to find the most purchase.*

That's just gorgeous.

What's not gorgeous is the awkwardness of the bad sex. I cringed. OMG, just, ugh. I can't...bad. Beautifully written because it made me hike up my shoulders and want to die for them. So well done, but GAH!

But after Vincent, that's lovely and the general reaction of their friends with no fanfare or announcement seems appropriate and right for these people, as does Sweets having a mini melt down because he has no part in it. I love that.

And then the fight about Egypt. Nasty business, but beautifully drawn on both sides and I can see where each is coming from.

And then he goes...a mistake my birthday fic Booth makes as well, silly man. And I love that while it takes her 18 minutes to realize she has erred it takes him about 15, because he's better with the heart stuff, but moreover because he's just less precise than she is. Freakin' brilliant.

He tells her he will always come back and her vulnerability here KILLS me because it's true. She wants to know it like he does and we know he means it and she knows it too, but can she believe it? He knows she struggles with that, sees it though she tries to hide it and swears he will always come back. Just so exactly Booth. Perfect.

*Her earnest look, the little crinkle between her eyes – he can't help but believe that she's telling the truth – the best truth she knows.* Lovely.

But then we are back to the what ifs and it's ugly and brutal and not working and you show us again there are REASONS for things going the way that they do. I love how you show what we've seen for ourselves on the show, but in a different light, knowing what we know from your story. And she goes, she GOES to Maluku without a second thought because it's all just so bad, but not really in a way that can ever be repaired; not in a way they can become what all of fandom wants them to be.

So this is maybe my favorite part:

While so much progress had been made since her days arriving at the Jeffersonian, it will take the intimate knowledge of something worse – after Maluku and after Hannah – for her to begin the growth into a person worthy, and a person ready.

She will know what it is like to have less and to lose, and she will become an even stronger (but maybe less impervious) person, ready for what comes.

And when he holds her that night, when the stick turns blue and when she faces down their life together, she will be ready.

Yes she will be ready because her choice, the choice she made the way we saw it was RIGHT for HER, even if not for us. Because it's not about us, it's about Brennan (I know, I know. They're fictional. Whatevs)

So then we get to super cute Booth who can't WAIT to shop for baby stuff and put the crib together because "Seeley Booth has always felt better doing." Yes, that's Booth.

And then the final perfection:

*The pieces of the crib slot into place and like everything else – their job and their partnership and their life – they work together*

You write poetry my friend. It sings on the page (screen, I guess) Amazing. Just amazing. I'm awed by your talent. Truly.
38 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »