Reviews for The Ties That Bind
2-shadows chapter 1 . 8/12/2011
Yeah, no, it's alright; I WANTED to sob like a kid when I read this story. :P

It was.. well, I'm stuck between phenomenal, stupendous and ridiculously fantastic. I loved it :)
therentyoupay chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
I love the thought that went into this story. A very interesting concept, and I love what you've done with it. The order definitely makes sense-Katara WOULD be the first to follow Aang, I'd think, and I can see Sokka following close behind. I absolutely love the last line that he said before he died, and I love the imagery you created of his funeral with Toph's personality. Likewise, I adore the idea of Zuko reminiscing back on the old days in such a sweet light, and obviously, Toph was a great candidate to be the last to go because of her age, but I can also really see her being willful enough to last. And, of course, it's nice to imagine that their souls to recycle themselves in such a way. :)

Lovely!
Anonymous Reviewer chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
This is the ending that I wanted-to find out what happened to the gang before Korra. Heart-wrenching but beautiful and complete. Thank you. 3
Kimberly T chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
This is well done indeed!
Aang's Girl chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
This is so beautiful and so sad. Thank you for this.
Aliens R Us chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
I really trying to hate your right now but I can't give you a proper death glare THROUGH ALL THE TEARS! JEEZ! Do you think you could have made this any more sad? Yeah, I know they're the peaceful good kind of deaths and I see that you tried to end it with this kind of sunshine and rainbows and they're all meet again stuff, but I can't get over how epically sad this is.

First off, brilliant interpretation of Aang's death. I love your take on Energybending and its consequences. It makes perfect sense to me and if this isn't the reason why Aang died young I don't know what lame reason they will come up with. Second, Aang's death and funeral are SAD, they are, but the rest of them dying after is "I've used up an entire box of Kleenix" SAD.

Again, your ability to say so much in so few words is your gift and works beautifully here. Too much would have taken away from each moment, if you know what I mean. Each death is touching and unique in its own right. I really like how they've all got their own thing but are forever "tied" to one another and in the end, they all talk about seeing Aang again. Except Sokka. Sokka just can't wait to see Momo again. {I can't tell you how that made me both laugh and cry}.

Seriously, I love your work but you made me cry and now I'm going to have to read some pure fluff.
Gwendalyn chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
So. Very. Very. Sad. I was literally crying the whole way through reading this.

Each one of their deaths was so poignant and somehow got sadder as it went along. Sokka's last words, although light and fitting, made me cry (what didn't make me cry is the real question). And Zuko and Toph's last words did me in completely and I was bawling like a baby. But what really made me smile and cry at the same time was Aang himself:

"If given the chance to go back, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't change a thing. I have lived a rich, fulfilling life with wonderful friends that I can call my family – in this life and the next." His smile widens and he suddenly looks twelve again. "I regret nothing."

*SOBS*

I really love your explanation for everything. It seems very plausible and I won't be surprised if that's why Aang died so young and why none of the Gaang are around to help Korra. But now I have to go read something fluffy because I can't stop crying. But this was beautiful, really.
Jayde chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
This is so sad yet so beautifully written. I really like your reasons for why they died.
Soft Kitty Song chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
OMG I HATE YOU! Seriously, I'm bawling like a little kid right now. I know you left this on a happier note but dear god this was sad. Everyone is so in character, from Aang's acceptance to Toph's muted anger. My lip was wobbling with Toph when she accused him of not trying hard enough.

The deaths were so poignant and fitting for each one of them, where they died and how and why. Tying Aang's death to Ozai's was brilliant. It makes sense that energybending has its consequences. And the fact that everyone else died of a broken heart ... DAMMIT, I'm crying again!

I wanted to laugh at the end, especially with the "The Avatar" bit but I was still crying. :*( I do like how you separated it, sort of like an epilogue. But honestly this story is just so sad. I have to say the parts with Zuko and Toph are my favourite, especially with Zuko telling his uncle that he's off for one last chase of the Avatar.

Okay, I'm stopping because I'm going to cry again. You really tugged at my heartstrings. This is the best explanation for why they all died so young: the ties that bind.

*punches you and then hugs you for making me cry*

Kitty
BananaSwirl chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
Sniff. :( This is so beautifully sad. I love the one of Zuko's death, it's my favorite.
Em Dixon chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
Whoo! First review! I hadn't really thought about everyone dying young until you mentioned it. 70 years later, Zuko, the oldest would only be 86, and that's not all that old. I like that you've given Energybending some serious consequences. It makes sense. I love the connection that you've brought out for the Gaang, and I LOVE Sokka's last words. I piked up on the Sky Burial the moment you mentioned it. I think the Air Nomads would definitely have something along those lines since each nation appears to have burials according to their elements. As always, this was heartfelt and poignant. So nice :D
41 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3